Best Android apps for stargazing?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
zeecatman
Ensign

Best Android apps for stargazing?

Post by zeecatman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:10 am

Hi all,

I'm wondering what the Android users use for casual stargazing, like identifying or finding objects in the sky in a pinch. I've shopped around for free options, and so far the most complete one I've found is StarTracker. StarTracker shows the locations of manmade satellites and meteor showers as well, which I like, but it, as well as every other free app I've used, isn't detailed enough to have information on other solar system objects -- for example, I haven't been able to pinpoint the comet Wirtanen with any of them. What apps do you use?

TommyJ
Asternaut

Re: Best Android apps for stargazing?

Post by TommyJ » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:45 pm

To be honest, you surprised me. I certainly thought that Android users use a telescope, newspaper, and eyes to observe space) Just kidding, of course. Internet sources are now available to everyone. It just isn't necessary to use applications for this. You have all of Google at your fingertips)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:08 pm

TommyJ wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:45 pm To be honest, you surprised me. I certainly thought that Android users use a telescope, newspaper, and eyes to observe space) Just kidding, of course. Internet sources are now available to everyone. It just isn't necessary to use applications for this. You have all of Google at your fingertips)
In the field, we're often disconnected from good Internet access. So having some kind of star chart application is very useful.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

TommyJ
Asternaut

Post by TommyJ » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:24 am

I was just kidding, don't take this too seriously. I am an Android user too. And despite the fact that I'm only 30 and I adore the current era of the Internet and mobile applications, I believe that you need to have a paper map of the stars with you. Not as a basis, but as an addition. The applications here advised really good ones.

zeecatman
Ensign

Post by zeecatman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:32 am

Now that I've been actively observing for a while, I figure I should come back to this thread to mention that I invested in Stellarium Mobile, and it really can't be beat as far as accuracy, brevity, and depth. Every other app I've used pales in comparison whether I'm trying to find an object with a telescope or just casually stargazing.

For anyone reading this who's already used Stellarium on the web it may not come as a surprise, but I didn't even know they had a mobile version when I made my original post. It's available for free, but there's a one-time in-app purchase of (I believe) $10 that unlocks tons of valuable features if you have a serious interest in observing. It's a higher price than most apps will ask for, but it's the golden standard for sure so I've found it more than worth it.
Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:08 pm In the field, we're often disconnected from good Internet access. So having some kind of star chart application is very useful.
In fact, the paid version Stellarium Mobile has an offline mode that lets you see millions of objects! I've never needed it (yet), but I don't doubt it'd come in handy for any serious observers who're traveling to secluded areas.

Charlotte Bridgestone
Ensign

Post by Charlotte Bridgestone » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:42 am

Thank you all for your recommendations! I really liked Star Walk 2 and NASA Visualization Explorer - I spended an hour exploring the space :)

dropdell
Asternaut

Post by dropdell » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:33 am

is there any idea or a plan to create your own app for android/iOS?

GillBrakerson
Asternaut

Post by GillBrakerson » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:39 am

One app that is highly recommended by many users is SkyView. It allows users to identify stars, constellations, and other celestial objects by pointing their phone at the sky. Another popular app is Star Walk 2, which provides detailed information about stars, planets, and other celestial objects.

Serrakuzz
Asternaut

Post by Serrakuzz » Sat May 13, 2023 12:23 am

I see it’s been a while, but I’d like to say that I love stargazing too. And I think it's great that you're looking for Android apps to help enhance your experience. I've heard good things about StarTracker as well, but I understand that it may not have all the features you're looking for. Another one to check out is Stellarium Mobile, which has a lot of information on different solar system objects.

moriswayne
Asternaut

Post by moriswayne » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:08 am

I am using Skyview Android app on my Android Tab for stargazing, which is working perfect. There also many option to use such as Star walk 2 and Starsafari....