APOD: Orion over Argentine Mountains (2020 Jun 09)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Re: APOD: Orion over Argentine Mountains (2020 Jun 09)

Post by MarkBour » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:17 pm

#BlackSkiesMatter

Or is that attempt at humor in bad taste?
Mark Goldfain

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:22 pm

MarkBour wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:17 pm #BlackSkiesMatter

Or is that attempt at humor in bad taste?
Shaky ground, my friend, shaky ground...
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

wilhuf
Asternaut

Post by wilhuf » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:32 pm

A #ShutDownSTEM tag would help readers understand the situation.

I doubt USG sites can legally post such tags on their public web pages.

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:08 pm

#PlanetaryNebulaeMatter

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:37 pm

wilhuf wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:32 pm A #ShutDownSTEM tag would help readers understand the situation.

I doubt USG sites can legally post such tags on their public web pages.
https://www.llnl.gov/news/shutdownstem- ... ing-racism
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:38 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:28 pm Off (this) topic, but is there no APOD today? I get this "The requested URL /apod/ap200610.html was not found on this server."

[EDIT: Leon1949Green beat me to it!]
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40653#p302974

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Off topic
There is not APOD today 10 jun 2020

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:13 pm

saturno2 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:06 pm Off topic
There is not APOD today 10 jun 2020
Read. Thread. Before. Posting.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

ems57fcva
Ensign

Post by ems57fcva » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:07 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:30 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:28 pm Off (this) topic, but is there no APOD today? I get this "The requested URL /apod/ap200610.html was not found on this server."

[EDIT: Leon1949Green beat me to it!]
#ShutDownSTEM
I finally have figured #ShutDownSTEM. How nice. But tomorrow STEM is back up and running. What are we going to be doing going forward to make STEM as available to people of color as for anyone else? It is way too easy to make a gesture like this and then move on and not make the promised difference. Part of the reason for the fury over George Floyd is that there have been too many promises over the years and too little action.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:53 am

ems57fcva wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:07 am I finally have figured #ShutDownSTEM. How nice. But tomorrow STEM is back up and running. What are we going to be doing going forward to make STEM as available to people of color as for anyone else? It is way too easy to make a gesture like this and then move on and not make the promised difference. Part of the reason for the fury over George Floyd is that there have been too many promises over the years and too little action.
the cool thing is a lot of people have been thinking about this for more than just a few days, and they've even put websites together and links for you to follow
owlice wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:54 am Many scientists and others involved in STEM are taking time on June 10 to focus on activities and actionable plans that work towards ending racism. I post here resources in support of #ShutDownSTEM.

Justice in June
Annotated list of learning resources that take 10, 25, or 45 minutes to complete to become more informed as step one to becoming an active ally to the Black community compiled by Autumn Gupta with Bryanna Wallace.

Particles for Justice Recommended Resources
Self care for Black people, books, online articles and resources, podcasts, kid-friendly resources, and projects funding.

Anti-Racism Podcast Sampler Spotify playlist
A working list of episodes to introduce individual podcasts and topics created by Amy Steele (UMD Astronomy).
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:25 pm

owlice wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:54 am Many scientists and others involved in STEM are taking time on June 10 to focus on activities and actionable plans that work towards ending racism. I post here resources in support of #ShutDownSTEM.

Justice in June
Annotated list of learning resources that take 10, 25, or 45 minutes to complete to become more informed as step one to becoming an active ally to the Black community compiled by Autumn Gupta with Bryanna Wallace.

Self care for Black people, books, online articles and resources, podcasts, kid-friendly resources, and projects funding.

A working list of episodes to introduce individual podcasts and topics created by Amy Steele (UMD Astronomy).
Thanks! 😎
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Fred Garthok

Post by Fred Garthok » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:26 am

Justice in June

FYI - the Justice in June link appears to be broken
Last edited by owlice on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected link for Justice in June; thanks, Fred! ~ owlice

Moonwalker
Asternaut

Post by Moonwalker » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:11 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:22 pm
GeoXXXXX wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:08 pm It’s beautiful and technically well done but these type of composites I find are leaving me cold. They really look unnatural with the super saturation and the foreground that just looks “fakey” for lack of a better word. It’s the same problem with HDR, most people just overdo it in spades.
The foreground adds nothing to the photo, it distracts from the wonderful shot of Orion.
Just my two cents...
Agreed. I don't get much out of a picture like this. The same shot, much less deep, and covering a somewhat larger field would have worked better, I think. Something that shows all of Orion setting against the mountains becomes something that can enhance what we already see with our eyes. The disparity between the celestial and the terrestrial, though, is just too great in this image to make much sense.
Hi, Guys! I actually love that with an image of mountains I can see with my eyes, there´s this beautiful image of the sky and its stars which I could not see with my eyes without a zoom, and great exposure, and multiple shots, etc. I am not a photographer or astronomer, just a simple citizen who loves looking at the sky and I think where you find what you don´t like I find what I most like ;) There are lots of bigger images of nebulas and only of space that I love too but the mountains here bring closer the sky for me, they make this marvel more "human", more touchable, approachable; they remind me that from where we live, from where we stand we have this amazing stuff above.
Regarding the technical part of the photo, I heard the photographer on tv say, it was with a normal professional camera with a 180 I think. Multiple expositions (26 I think he said) and he has like a motor to compensate the Earth rotation. Then he took a pic of the landscape. No extra lenses. The only thing was the multiple shots as each of them were of 3 mins exposure and then bring them together (I don´t know how). Something like this is what I understood. Sorry, not a very scientific explanation, haha, more or less what I remembered from the interview. Regards!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:52 pm

Fred Garthok wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:26 am FYI - the Justice in June link appears to be broken
Try Justice in June
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:58 pm

bystander wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:52 pm
Fred Garthok wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:26 am FYI - the Justice in June link appears to be broken
Try Justice in June
Thank you, gentlemen!! Much appreciated! I have edited the link in previous posts.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:47 pm

I think this effort (of taking a "day off" in APOD) was a good one, and has had a helpful effect (I know it has helped me, I hope it has helped many others, as well). I have appreciated the comments and links that have been posted. I've begun reading and learning from the links that were posted by so many of you here. In particular, I'm working on those Justice in June materials.

And I'm inspired by the comment of ems57fcva :
ems57fcva wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:07 am What are we going to be doing going forward to make STEM as available to people of color as for anyone else? It is way too easy to make a gesture like this and then move on and not make the promised difference. Part of the reason for the fury over George Floyd is that there have been too many promises over the years and too little action.
Mark Goldfain

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Thanks owlice for your important explanation.
2020 Jun 10
A day of silence in APOD
A day of silence for humanity
We need to remember that Africa was the
cradle of humanity