APOD: Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu (2020 Dec 14)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4275
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu (2020 Dec 14)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:07 am

Image Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu

Explanation: The streak across the sky is a capsule returning from an [url=https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/asteroids- ... /overview/" >asteroid</a>. It returned earlier this month from the near-Earth asteroid <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/162173_Ryugu]162173 Ryugu[/url] carrying small rocks and dust from its surface. The canister was released by its mothership, Japan's Hayabusa2, a mission that visited Ryugu in 2018, harvested a surface sample in 2019, and zoomed back past Earth. The jettisoned return capsule deployed a parachute and landed in rural Australia. A similar mission, NASA's OSIRIS- REx, recently captured rocks and dust from a similar asteroid, Bennu, and is scheduled to return its surface sample to Earth in 2023. Analyses of compounds from these asteroids holds promise to give humanity new insights about the early Solar System and new clues about how water and organic matter came to be on Earth.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

bhansen88

Re: APOD: Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu (2020 Dec 14)

Post by bhansen88 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:50 am

What is that in the picture at the end of the video? (bottom left)

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu (2020 Dec 14)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:59 am

And technical successes are being added with the ballistics of the probes. With variable results we were amazed by the probes sent to the passage of Halley's Comet and they were later improved with refined techniques, achieving other branches of communication such as the one I am using at the moment.
I am interested to know if the samples are with sufficient protection at the atmospheric re-entry temperature and the air pollution capsule tightness, I understand anyway that it is an unfounded fear but ... Murphy goes round.-

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6195
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu (2020 Dec 14)

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:54 pm

162173_Ryugu.jpg

Tiny little asteroid; part of you comes down to Earth!
Hope you aren't infected with some type of virus! :evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 15858
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu (2020 Dec 14)

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:15 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:59 am
And technical successes are being added with the ballistics of the probes. With variable results we were amazed by the probes sent to the passage of Halley's Comet and they were later improved with refined techniques, achieving other branches of communication such as the one I am using at the moment.
I am interested to know if the samples are with sufficient protection at the atmospheric re-entry temperature and the air pollution capsule tightness, I understand anyway that it is an unfounded fear but ... Murphy goes round.-
Just as the interior of meteorites is not heated up during their brief hypersonic passage through the atmosphere, neither is the interior of this capsule. Ablation of the heat shield very efficiently carries away the heat created by the compression of air in front of the capsule, and the few seconds it is hot is nowhere near long enough for the contents to heat up significantly. It's possible the contents even arrive a bit colder than they were while in space.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

jimbo48
Ensign
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: APOD: Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu (2020 Dec 14)

Post by jimbo48 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:06 pm

bhansen88 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:50 am
What is that in the picture at the end of the video? (bottom left)
Is the lights/object at the bottom left at the end of the video might be associated with the curvature of the earth in the event the video was taken from a high altitude aircraft or even the space station. Does anyone know for sure?

mannyp
Asternaut
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: APOD: Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu (2020 Dec 14)

Post by mannyp » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:52 pm

The lights/object at the bottom left look like buildings and lights on the ground. The video looks like it was taken at ground level with a hand held camera - look at the motion of the camera tracking the capsule.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu (2020 Dec 14)

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:14 pm

mannyp wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:52 pm
The lights/object at the bottom left look like buildings and lights on the ground. The video looks like it was taken at ground level with a hand held camera - look at the motion of the camera tracking the capsule.
I think i agree, but it's hard to say for sure. The first link in the description doesn't give us much additional info:
Capture time: December 6, 2020 at around 02:29 JST.
Filming location: Near Coober Pedy, Australia
Credit: JAXA
"To Boldly Go......Beyond The Fields We Know."

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18008
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu (2020 Dec 14)

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:21 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus#20th_century wrote:





:arrow: <<"Santa tracking" websites raise interest in space technology and exploration, serve to educate children in geography and encourage them to take an interest in science.>>
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:51 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: APOD: Capsule Returns from Asteroid Ryugu (2020 Dec 14)

Post by alter-ego » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:19 am

johnnydeep wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:14 pm
mannyp wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:52 pm
The lights/object at the bottom left look like buildings and lights on the ground. The video looks like it was taken at ground level with a hand held camera - look at the motion of the camera tracking the capsule.
I think i agree, but it's hard to say for sure. The first link in the description doesn't give us much additional info:
Capture time: December 6, 2020 at around 02:29 JST.
Filming location: Near Coober Pedy, Australia
Credit: JAXA
That must be the case. The last two stars the capsule passes between are Rigel Kentaurus and Hader. Their orientation and altitude wrt to the lit region matches well with that of the local horizon at that time.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist