APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4535
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:05 am

Image Jupiter Rotates

Explanation: Observe the graceful twirl of our Solar System's largest planet. Many interesting features of Jupiter's enigmatic atmosphere, including dark belts and light zones, can be followed in detail. A careful inspection will reveal that different cloud layers rotate at slightly different speeds. The famous Great Red Spot is not visible at first -- but soon rotates into view. Other smaller storm systems occasionally appear. As large as Jupiter is, it rotates in only 10 hours. Our small Earth, by comparison, takes 24 hours to complete a spin cycle. The featured high-resolution time-lapse video was captured over five nights earlier this month by a mid-sized telescope on an apartment balcony in Paris, France. Since hydrogen and helium gas are colorless, and those elements compose most of Jupiter's expansive atmosphere, what trace elements create the observed colors of Jupiter's clouds remains a topic of research.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Guest

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:37 am

No hexagon at pole or unknown region for now, never shooted.

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 7126
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:22 am

JupiterClouds_JunoGill_960.jpg
Hostile but pretty planet! 8-) 10 hr spin cycle, amazing!
jupiterclouds_newhorizons_960.jpg
Jupiter's colors!
cat_washer.jpg
Angry Kitty! :evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

guest2

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by guest2 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:55 am

"The featured high-resolution time-lapse video was captured over five nights earlier this month by a mid-sized telescope on an apartment balcony in Paris, France." How did somebody on Earth get a view from above Jupiter's pole?

Iksarfighter
Ensign
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:13 pm

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by Iksarfighter » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:19 pm

I was meaning in Jupiter imagery generally, did they spot an hexagon at poles ?
Maybe never passed by ?

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18765
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:42 pm

guest2 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:55 am

"The featured high-resolution time-lapse video was captured over five nights earlier this month by a mid-sized telescope on an apartment balcony in Paris, France." How did somebody on Earth get a view from above Jupiter's pole?
They either relocated to a higher balcony...
or simply remapped their digital data.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18765
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:10 pm

Iksarfighter wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:19 pm

I was meaning in Jupiter imagery generally, did they spot an hexagon at poles ?
Maybe never passed by ?
There are polygonal cyclones within a few degrees latitude of Jupiter's poles
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap180308.html
...but they wouldn't be visible from Earth.
Art Neuendorffer

geoffrey.landis
Ensign
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by geoffrey.landis » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:12 pm

guest2 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:55 am
"The featured high-resolution time-lapse video was captured over five nights earlier this month by a mid-sized telescope on an apartment balcony in Paris, France."
Paris has a day night cycle (not to mention Jupiter rising and setting)... How did they get five days of images without being interrupted?

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18765
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:37 pm

geoffrey.landis wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:12 pm
guest2 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:55 am

"The featured high-resolution time-lapse video was captured over five nights earlier this month by a mid-sized telescope on an apartment balcony in Paris, France."
Paris has a day night cycle (not to mention Jupiter rising and setting)... How did they get five days of images without being interrupted?
Five hours of a single night is sufficient to observe all of Jupiter.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Joe Stieber
Science Officer
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Maple Shade, NJ

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by Joe Stieber » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:08 pm

neufer wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:37 pm
geoffrey.landis wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:12 pm
guest2 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:55 am

"The featured high-resolution time-lapse video was captured over five nights earlier this month by a mid-sized telescope on an apartment balcony in Paris, France."
Paris has a day night cycle (not to mention Jupiter rising and setting)... How did they get five days of images without being interrupted?
Five hours of a single night is sufficient to observe all of Jupiter.
Yes, you can see it all in 5 hours, nominally half a Jovian rotation (ignoring limb foreshortening and the terminator-darkened edge along the eastern limb now), but you would still need the full 10 hour rotation period (more exactly, 9 hr 55.5 min) to see all of the surface features make a complete pass across the face of Jupiter visible to earth. In any case, the base images for this APOD were likely captured during a few hours each night, not continuously over five days, then skillfully combined into this animation.

ilikespace80085
Asternaut
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:50 pm

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by ilikespace80085 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:50 pm

i wonder what it smell like :owl:

UncleJeff

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by UncleJeff » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:12 pm

Try as I might, I can't detect any relative movement among the features in Jupiter's atmosphere. I guess Jupiter's weather moves much more slowly than its rotation. On the time scale of the video, the weather features look static.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Captain
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:00 pm

Two comments: I'm surprised that a telescope in a large city like Paris is able to get such a clear view of Jupiter. And as for determining the trace elements that determine the differences in cloud colors, why wouldn't "simple" spectra provide the answers?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by Fred the Cat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:08 pm

ilikespace80085 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:50 pm
i wonder what it smell like :owl:
Thanks to Juno you might be able to wear it soon. :|
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18765
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:25 pm

UncleJeff wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:12 pm

Try as I might, I can't detect any relative movement among the features in Jupiter's atmosphere. I guess Jupiter's weather moves much more slowly than its rotation. On the time scale of the video, the weather features look static.
I'm figuring that they took ~30 hours of rapid images over a ~100 hour period and threw out all the cloudy/turbulent images.

Reordering, averaging & smoothing left the slow moving features (zones, belts & vortices) more or less in place whereas rapidly moving features (up to ~150m/s [or 54,000km/100hrs] just got "shmeared" out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Jupiter#Specific_bands wrote: :arrow: This 14-frame animation spans 24 Jovian days, or about 10 Earth days. Zones, belts and vortices on Jupiter. The wide equatorial zone is visible in the center surrounded by two dark equatorial belts (SEB and NEB). The large grayish-blue irregular "hot spots" at the northern edge of the white Equatorial Zone change over the course of time as they march eastward across the planet. The Great Red Spot is at the southern margin of the SEB. Strings of small storms rotate around northern-hemisphere ovals. Small, very bright features, possible lightning storms, appear quickly and randomly in turbulent regions. The smallest features visible at the equator are about 600 kilometers across. The occasional black spots in the image are moons of Jupiter getting into the field of view.
Art Neuendorffer

Husker03
Asternaut
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:34 am

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by Husker03 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:38 am

In today's APOD (10/26/21), is a movie of Jupiter rotating. Just off of center at the start of the video is a straight black line going from pole to pole. One of my 9yr old students noticed it. I at first thought it was produced by the lens, but then I noticed that the line rotated with the planet. Can you take a minute and watch it, and then maybe let me know what we're seeing?

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap211026.html

APOD: 2021 October 26 - Jupiter Rotates (nasa.gov)

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Barry H. Bloch
Orting School District
Orting, Washington

User avatar
XgeoX
Science Officer
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm
AKA: Uncle Rico

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by XgeoX » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:53 am

Husker03 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:38 am
In today's APOD (10/26/21), is a movie of Jupiter rotating. Just off of center at the start of the video is a straight black line going from pole to pole. One of my 9yr old students noticed it. I at first thought it was produced by the lens, but then I noticed that the line rotated with the planet. Can you take a minute and watch it, and then maybe let me know what we're seeing?

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap211026.html

APOD: 2021 October 26 - Jupiter Rotates (nasa.gov)

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Barry H. Bloch
Orting School District
Orting, Washington
Hi, I watched the video part you are referring to several times but I never saw the line. Try reloading I would guess that it is a streaming artifact unrelated to the video.
Cool to note, nine was about the age I really got in to astronomy, thank you Patrick Moore and “ Observer's Book of Astronomy”!
Happy observing!

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

User avatar
XgeoX
Science Officer
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm
AKA: Uncle Rico

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by XgeoX » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:56 am

guest2 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:55 am
"The featured high-resolution time-lapse video was captured over five nights earlier this month by a mid-sized telescope on an apartment balcony in Paris, France." How did somebody on Earth get a view from above Jupiter's pole?
He might have digitally draped the video of the clouds onto a sphere then rendered them how they would look from above.
During Apollo they did this manually by projecting full moon shots onto a big globe so they could see what the poles looked like.

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

User avatar
johnnydeep
Captain
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:18 pm

XgeoX wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:53 am
Husker03 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:38 am
In today's APOD (10/26/21), is a movie of Jupiter rotating. Just off of center at the start of the video is a straight black line going from pole to pole. One of my 9yr old students noticed it. I at first thought it was produced by the lens, but then I noticed that the line rotated with the planet. Can you take a minute and watch it, and then maybe let me know what we're seeing?

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap211026.html

APOD: 2021 October 26 - Jupiter Rotates (nasa.gov)

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Barry H. Bloch
Orting School District
Orting, Washington
Hi, I watched the video part you are referring to several times but I never saw the line. Try reloading I would guess that it is a streaming artifact unrelated to the video.
Cool to note, nine was about the age I really got in to astronomy, thank you Patrick Moore and “ Observer's Book of Astronomy”!
Happy observing!

Eric
A line seems to be there. I think he's referring to this one, seen here at 10 seconds in:

line on jupiter.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

jldauvergne
Ensign
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:11 am

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by jldauvergne » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:16 pm

Hi, you are right, a line is visible on the planet. I've tryed to avoid it without success. I don't realy know why does le software add this when it create the animation but it corresponds to the logitude 0° of the global map that I've made before producing the video.
Image

It's not a black line left when I've croped. I've checked that.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Captain
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 pm

jldauvergne wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:16 pm
Hi, you are right, a line is visible on the planet. I've tryed to avoid it without success. I don't realy know why does le software add this when it create the animation but it corresponds to the logitude 0° of the global map that I've made before producing the video.
Image

It's not a black line left when I've croped. I've checked that.
Ok, so it's just a "stitching artifact".
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18765
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Jupiter Rotates (2021 Oct 26)

Post by neufer » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:18 pm

johnnydeep wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 pm
jldauvergne wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:16 pm

Hi, you are right, a line is visible on the planet. I've tryed to avoid it without success. I don't realy know why does le software add this when it create the animation but it corresponds to the logitude 0° of the global map that I've made before producing the video.

It's not a black line left when I've croped. I've checked that.
Ok, so it's just a "stitching artifact".
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/10/01/katalin-kariko-covid-vaccines/ wrote:
A one-way ticket. A cash-stuffed teddy bear. A dream decades in the making.
For Katalin Kariko, a life in full: Awe-inspiring ideas, careful experiments,
unnoticed successes and the repeated sting of rejection

By Carolyn Y. Johnson, The Washington Post, October 1, 2021

<<In 1985, the Hungarian lab where [biochemist Katalin] Karikó worked lost its funding. She looked for an opportunity in the United States, settling on a postdoctoral position at Temple University in Philadelphia. The family bought one-way tickets and sold their car, smuggling the money inside a big brown teddy bear with red-rimmed eyes. A seam runs down its back, where Kariko performed the surgery. She keeps it in her daughter’s childhood room to this day.>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katalin_Karik%C3%B3 wrote:

<<Katalin Karikó (Hungarian: Karikó Katalin; born 17 January 1955) is a Hungarian biochemist who specializes in the development of in vitro-transcribed mRNA for protein therapies. Together with American immunologist Drew Weissman, she holds U.S. patents for the application of non-immunogenic, nucleoside-modified RNA. This technology has been licensed by BioNTech and Moderna to develop their protein replacement technologies but was also used for their COVID-19 vaccines.

Karikó grew up in Kisújszállás, Hungary, in a small home without running water, a refrigerator, or television. Her father was a butcher and her mother was a bookkeeper. She excelled in science during her primary education. After earning her Ph.D. at the University of Szeged, Karikó continued her research and postdoctoral studies at the Institute of Biochemistry, Biological Research Centre of Hungary. In 1985, the lab lost its funding, and she left Hungary for the United States with her husband and 2-year daughter. They smuggled in a teddy bear £900 received on the black market in exchange for the proceeds from selling a car.>>
Art Neuendorffer