Discord Bot Programmer Requested for New APOD Venue

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
OgetayK
Ensign

Discord Bot Programmer Requested for New APOD Venue

Post by OgetayK » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:18 pm

APOD is now opening an official Discord server where you can follow APOD daily, get important notifications, discuss astronomy/astrophotography, and meet with new people. It is our hope that APODs volunteer-run community can create an APOD bot that publishes daily APODs. We at APOD hope to hear from you if you can help. If so, please reply to this post.

Best,
Ogetay

OgetayK
Ensign

Re: Discord Bot Programmer Requested for New APOD Venue

Post by OgetayK » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:26 am

We at APOD still looking for a bot programmer. You may also reach us through email: okayali [at] mtu [dot] edu.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:37 pm

Did you try having RJN put it at the bottom of an APOD? That ... usually works.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

sigfalt

Post by sigfalt » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:21 am

Hello, I saw the link to this thread on today's APOD. I have actually already created a discord bot several years ago for this (approx. Nov 2019), and it has been running successfully in a few servers for some years now. It is written in javascript and using the discord.js node library. As it is running in so few servers currently, I am self hosting it as well.

My discord is sigfalt [hash] 8886 if you wish to contact me for further discussion.

Toude

Post by Toude » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:04 pm

Hello, I have made a discord webhook that posts the APOD along with its description daily. Maybe this would be of interest? You can find the relevant code (in python) on the following gist: https://gist.github.com/s0lst1ce/a50f84 ... 543b47d164

Sudo

Post by Sudo » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:32 am

Hey! I've made a bot to do exactly this (and more!) for a astrophotography server, here's an invite if you would like: https://discord.gg/W2nzD7ch3G

Feel free to DM me - sudo killall windows#0884

Womblr

Post by Womblr » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:29 pm

Hello, I’ve also created my own Discord bot based in Python. It currently runs on several university discord servers as well as several amateur astrophotography servers in addition to my own personal server.
Feel free to reach out on discord at Womblr#0653 or by email at mmelley@ualberta.ca!

OgetayK
Ensign

Post by OgetayK » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:35 am

Update on APOD Discord server and bot:

Three of the respondent developers worked together to develop an APOD bot. We have chosen one's existing bot and proceeded with that. Issues are fixed and upgrades have been made. Now Discord bot is available to:

- Publish APODs every day within 5 minutes after midnight.
- This is published as an embed with an image and the explanation.
- Copyright information is also added to the footnote section.
- Clicking on the embed title directs to that day's APOD (previous ones had issues with this)
- Clicking on the image expands the image.
- The bot is now using slash commands.
- These commands also include some features such as: Calling a certain APOD with a given date, and uploading an image returns nova.astrometry results of that region and shows the stellar objects.
- If an APOD is in video format, the bot posts the link on the Youtube (an embed will be added as well)
- The sidebar color which is currently gray will be changed as well.

Also, the server is established. Spam bots are set, permissions and roles are defined, and channels are created. We will try to get our server verified and announce it soon. After gaining some audience, we may add new features on make tweaks according to the server's needs. Below is a screenshot of the bot's post.

OgetayK
Ensign

Post by OgetayK » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:03 pm

This topic is now proceeding here: viewtopic.php?t=42643