APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4775
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:05 am

Image Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech Republic

Explanation: What are those red filaments in the sky? They are a rarely seen form of lightning confirmed only about 35 years ago: red sprites. Research has shown that following a powerful positive cloud-to-ground lightning strike, red sprites may start as 100-meter balls of ionized air that shoot down from about 80-km high at 10 percent the speed of light. They are quickly followed by a group of upward streaking ionized balls. The featured image was taken late last month from the Jeseniky Mountains in northern Moravia in the Czech Republic. The distance to the red sprites is about 200 kilometers. Red sprites take only a fraction of a second to occur and are best seen when powerful thunderstorms are visible from the side.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

RocketRon

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by RocketRon » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:24 am

Amazing photo !
How long was the exposure ?

david@gordon.fm

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by david@gordon.fm » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:59 am

What's the structure that appears to be on fire in the lower RH corner?

Iksarfighter
Ensign
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:13 pm

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by Iksarfighter » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:14 am

30 sec exposure ? As the stars moved a bit.

User avatar
VictorBorun
Commander
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by VictorBorun » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:41 am

Iksarfighter wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:14 am 30 sec exposure ? As the stars moved a bit.
I think the stars were smeared by camera vibration during 100 ms exposure and the sprites lasted 1 ms and did not smear so much.
The sprites are tracks of cold plasma balls that go up at 10% speed of light and therefore those balls do get smeared in a 100 ms exposure:
it takes (90 km - 50 km)/(30 km/ms) = 1.3 ms for a ball to travel its track

It seems very strange to me that a cold plasma ball going up should fork 3 ways to make a trident.

By the way Rorik of Dorestad, the Danish prince to start the Rurikid dynasty, used both Thor's hammer and trident insignia (that trident survives at the modern Ukranian flag). Must been a red sprite trident, to go together with Thor

ImageImage

Update. Sorry, Rorik used bident; the Rurikid made it into a trident later, after Olga (Helga) added Freya's hawk-flying cloak and it transformed to a middle prong.
Last edited by VictorBorun on Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heehaw

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by heehaw » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:08 pm

Absolutely REMARKABLE photo!

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 1513
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by JohnD » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:20 pm

10% light speed? Wow! A quick Google finds that to be 67 MILLION mph. They are ionised gas, in the upper atmosphere, so not very dense. Can anyone estimate their mass? Because to accelerate from zero to that, even for a millisecond, must use a heck of a lot of energy, even for a packet of thin gas!
John

User avatar
mtbdudex
Ensign
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by mtbdudex » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:38 pm

Epic capture, from his facebook page
"Selection of the best elves from the night of 26.8.2022 over the north of Bohemia. Photographed by the Golden Mountains. Sony A7S modified + 135GM, ISO 2500, F/2, 3.2s"
Mike R, P.E. .....iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 11-16 / 15-85 / f1.4 50
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head / iOptron EQ tracker
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110805.html

User avatar
VictorBorun
Commander
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by VictorBorun » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:42 pm

JohnD wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:20 pm 10% light speed? Wow! A quick Google finds that to be 67 MILLION mph. They are ionised gas, in the upper atmosphere, so not very dense. Can anyone estimate their mass? Because to accelerate from zero to that, even for a millisecond, must use a heck of a lot of energy, even for a packet of thin gas!
John
the air does not move; some free electrons move, but not all the way: they shift here and there. It's the cold plasma red fluorescence zone that is moving.
Like waving a laser beam, this non-material movement is massless

User avatar
VictorBorun
Commander
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by VictorBorun » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:52 pm

mtbdudex wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:38 pm Epic capture, from his facebook page
"Selection of the best elves from the night of 26.8.2022 over the north of Bohemia. Photographed by the Golden Mountains. Sony A7S modified + 135GM, ISO 2500, F/2, 3.2s"
3 seconds exposure? My guess was wrong. Still, that is too short to smear stars by daily rotation

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 7717
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:54 pm

sprites_scerba_960.jpg
Red sprites; like fireworks in the Czech Republic skys!
lightning-sprite-Stephen-Hummel-McDonald-Observaory-jul2-2020-e1597578397879.png
beautiful; almost looks like a sifi scene!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16913
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:01 pm

VictorBorun wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:52 pm
mtbdudex wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:38 pm Epic capture, from his facebook page
"Selection of the best elves from the night of 26.8.2022 over the north of Bohemia. Photographed by the Golden Mountains. Sony A7S modified + 135GM, ISO 2500, F/2, 3.2s"
3 seconds exposure? My guess was wrong. Still, that is too short to smear stars by daily rotation
"Selection".

This is a stack of individual 3-second images, taken over an unspecified period. So we'd certainly expect to see star trails.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 1513
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by JohnD » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:26 pm

VictorBorun wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:42 pm
JohnD wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:20 pm 10% light speed? Wow! A quick Google finds that to be 67 MILLION mph. They are ionised gas, in the upper atmosphere, so not very dense. Can anyone estimate their mass? Because to accelerate from zero to that, even for a millisecond, must use a heck of a lot of energy, even for a packet of thin gas!
John
the air does not move; some free electrons move, but not all the way: they shift here and there. It's the cold plasma red fluorescence zone that is moving.
Like waving a laser beam, this non-material movement is massless
Thank you, Victor! So, this is more like a charge moving through the atmosphere? Like lightning, but about 250 times FASTER?

Jim Armstrong

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by Jim Armstrong » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:23 pm

It was not too long ago that photographs of this wonderful phenomenon were nearly nonexistent.
Look at them now, with every expectation of more!

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:21 pm

david@gordon.fm wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:59 am What's the structure that appears to be on fire in the lower RH corner?

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:22 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:21 pm
david@gordon.fm wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:59 am What's the structure that appears to be on fire in the lower RH corner?
communications tower

DonB312
Ensign
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:38 pm

Re: APOD: Red Sprite Lightning over the Czech... (2022 Sep 12)

Post by DonB312 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:18 pm

Jim Armstrong wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:23 pm It was not too long ago that photographs of this wonderful phenomenon were nearly nonexistent.
Look at them now, with every expectation of more!
I was thinking exactly this too. Especially as I was clicking the many links in today's APOD.

I love that technology is always improving while at the same time becoming in reach of more and more people; both amateur and professional. I think we live in a wonderful time for learning about our universe.

- Don