APOD: Sun Halo at Sixty-three Degrees North (2022 Dec 21)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Sun Halo at Sixty-three Degrees North (2022 Dec 21)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:07 am

Image Sun Halo at Sixty-three Degrees North

Explanation: Happy Solstice! Today is the December solstice, marking an astronomical beginning of summer in the southern hemisphere and winter in the north. On its yearly trek through planet Earth's skies, at this solstice the Sun reaches its southern most declination, 23.5 degrees south, at 21:48 UTC. About 4 days ago the Sun was near this seasonal southern limit and so only just above the horizon at local noon over Ostersund in central Sweden. This view looking over the far northern lakeside city finds the midday Sun with a beautiful solar ice halo. Naturally occurring atmospheric ice crystals can produce the tantalizing halo displays, refracting and reflecting the sunlight through their hexagonal geometry. Still, with the Sun low and near the horizon in the clear sky, likely sources of the ice crystals producing this intense halo are snow cannons. Operating at a local ski area, the snowmaking machines create a visible plume at the top of the nearby island Froson toward the right side of the panorama.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Sun Halo at Sixty-three Degrees North (2022 Dec 21)

Post by Ann » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:32 am

That's a very nice image, but I really need to give you a small Swedish lesson here!

The photographer's name is Göran Strand. If you go to this page you can hear the prononciation of it. (But it drives me crazy that that page, too, spells the name "Goran", which would be pronounced entirely differently than "Göran" in Swedish! And the heading, "Hur att uttala Goran", is a horrible example of Swenglish - you would say "Hur uttalas Göran".)

Göran Strand lives in Östersund.

maklare-ostersund[1].jpg
Östersund. Photo: s_werner

The island that you could just barely see to the right in the APOD is Frösön. If you go to this page and wait somewhat patiently, you can hear the pronunciation of Frösön.

Ann
Color Commentator

Lasse H
Ensign

Post by Lasse H » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:13 pm

I definitely agree with Ann 100%. In this international age, when all kinds of alphabets are available on the Internet, it is perfectly posssible to spell the geographical names Östersund anf Frösön correctly in a text that reaches all corners of the world!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:36 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:17 pm Let's relax with the music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMbvcp4 ... rt_radio=1
Thanks for the beautiful scenery! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:44 pm

GS_20221217_Solhalo_Pan_v3_1100.jpg
APOD gives us lots of beautiful images! :D Worth peeking in
everyday! 8-)
The bad thing about winter is the cold; I hate the cold! I also hate
the hot days of summer!
Orin

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:02 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:44 pm GS_20221217_Solhalo_Pan_v3_1100.jpg
everyday! 8-)
the hot days of summer!
Yup. Give me six months of Spring followed by six months of Fall. Winter and Summer I can happily do without.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Guest again

Post by Guest again » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:04 pm

Never look directly at the sun. Permanent eye damage could result

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:58 pm

Ann wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:32 am That's a very nice image, but I really need to give you a small Swedish lesson here!

The photographer's name is Göran Strand. If you go to this page you can hear the prononciation of it. (But it drives me crazy that that page, too, spells the name "Goran", which would be pronounced entirely differently than "Göran" in Swedish! And the heading, "Hur att uttala Goran", is a horrible example of Swenglish - you would say "Hur uttalas Göran".)
As an aside, there is an internationally accepted spelling substitution system that allows for his name to be presented as "Goeran". It was developed back in the telegraph days when the only available alphabet was lacking all of the extra letters found in German and the Scandinavian alphabet. With Unicode and our modern electronic writing systems there's no reason to fall back on that... but I'd argue that in this case "Goeran" is still better than "Goran".
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:45 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:58 pm
Ann wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:32 am That's a very nice image, but I really need to give you a small Swedish lesson here!

As an aside, there is an internationally accepted spelling substitution system that allows for his name to be presented as "Goeran". It was developed back in the telegraph days when the only available alphabet was lacking all of the extra letters found in German and the Scandinavian alphabet. With Unicode and our modern electronic writing systems there's no reason to fall back on that... but I'd argue that in this case "Goeran" is still better than "Goran".
I agree, Chris.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:50 am

johnnydeep wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:02 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:44 pm GS_20221217_Solhalo_Pan_v3_1100.jpg
everyday! 8-)
the hot days of summer!
Yup. Give me six months of Spring followed by six months of Fall. Winter and Summer I can happily do without.
you can run my kind of planet anytime! 😅
Orin