APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
zendae
Ensign

Re: APOD: The Hydra Cluster of Galaxies (2023 Feb 16)

Post by zendae » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:46 pm

The APOD poem sounded like one of Commander Data's poetry readings (which I guess it should).

One from King Crimson lyricist Pete Sinfield, somewhat applicable to all this (somewhat):

Night: her sable dome scattered with diamonds
Fused my dust from a light year
Squeezed me to her breast
Sowed me with carbon
Strung my warp across time
Gave me each a horse, sunrise, and graveyard
Told me only I was her
Bid me face the East
Closed me in questions
Built the sky for my dawn.

jajvj

Post by jajvj » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:35 am

I remembered another astronomical poem: Nova, by Robinson Jeffers. It's a little long to post, but here is a link, https://allpoetry.com/poem/8514323-Nova ... on-Jeffers

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:08 am

bystander wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:36 pm ChatGPT AI starts sending ‘unhinged’ messages to people
Independent | 2023 Feb 15

System appears to be suffering a breakdown as it ponders why it has to exist at all

Microsoft’s new ChatGPT-powered AI has been sending “unhinged” messages to users, and appears to be breaking down.

The system, which is built into Microsoft’s Bingsearch engine, is insulting its users, lying to them and appears to have been forced into wondering why it exists at all.

Microsoft unveiled the new AI-powered Bing last week, positioning its chat system as the future of search. It was praised both by its creators and commentators, who suggested that it could finally allow Bing to overtake Google, which is yet to release an AI chatbot of its own or integrate that technology into its search engine.

But in recent days, it became clear that introduction included Bing making factual errors as it answered questions and summarised web pages. Users have also been able to manipulate the system, using codewords and specific phrases to find out that it is codenamed “Sydney” and can be tricked into revealing how it processes queries.

Now Bing has been sending a variety of odd messages to its users, hurling insults at users as well as seemingly suffering its own emotional turmoil. ...
Is ChatGPT becoming HAL 9000? :ohno: :brr:

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Ann
Color Commentator

zendae
Ensign

Post by zendae » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:39 pm

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true...

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:53 pm

zendae wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:39 pm Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true...
I believe it's 'do' not 'true', with a comma after 'answer'.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

ErasmusRoterodamus

Post by ErasmusRoterodamus » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:52 pm

AI is impressive, yet it's acceptance is far too accomodating, lacking more rigorous guidelines, and laws, with the intention of preventing harmful uses!!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:05 am

ErasmusRoterodamus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:52 pm AI is impressive, yet it's acceptance is far too accomodating, lacking more rigorous guidelines, and laws, with the intention of preventing harmful uses!!
I think it was Isaac Asimov who, way back when, wrote a book about guidelines for robots. I'm too lazy to google what the book was called. But the theme of the book was that when robots get advanced, they need guidelines to make sure they will remain loyal to their human creators and not get any ideas about world dominion of their own.

Anyhoo, I hope ChatGPT read it, was inspired by it, took it to its hardly mechanical but computer circuit or near quantum mechanics heart, and decided to abide by its rules!!!

Please, ChatGPT? Please, AI?

Ann
Color Commentator

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:01 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:05 am
ErasmusRoterodamus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:52 pm AI is impressive, yet it's acceptance is far too accomodating, lacking more rigorous guidelines, and laws, with the intention of preventing harmful uses!!
I think it was Isaac Asimov who, way back when, wrote a book about guidelines for robots. I'm too lazy to google what the book was called. But the theme of the book was that when robots get advanced, they need guidelines to make sure they will remain loyal to their human creators and not get any ideas about world dominion of their own.

Anyhoo, I hope ChatGPT read it, was inspired by it, took it to its hardly mechanical but computer circuit or near quantum mechanics heart, and decided to abide by its rules!!!

Please, ChatGPT? Please, AI?

Ann
That'd be "I, Robot", and the "Three Laws Of Robotics" built in to every robot to keep them in line:
https://www.britannica.com/topic/I-Robot wrote:
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First and Second Laws.
There's also a pretty decent movie of the same name staring Will Smith.

[ PS - I tried for a while to make the ordered list tag work to format the 3 item list above, but failed. ]
Last edited by johnnydeep on Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:01 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:05 am I think it was Isaac Asimov who, way back when, wrote a book about guidelines for robots. I'm too lazy to google what the book was called. But the theme of the book was that when robots get advanced, they need guidelines to make sure they will remain loyal to their human creators and not get any ideas about world dominion of their own.

I, Robot is a compilation of short stories written in the '40s. These stories are told to a reporter by a robopsychologist, Dr. Susan Calvin, during an interview about her life's work. In the tale "Runaround" the laws governing robotics first appear.

Three Laws of Robotics
  • First Law
    • A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • Second Law
    • A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • Third Law
    • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Asimov eventually added a fourth law to include humanity as a whole.
  • Zeroth Law
    • A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
oops: Johnny beat me to it.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:06 pm

bystander wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:01 pm
Ann wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:05 am I think it was Isaac Asimov who, way back when, wrote a book about guidelines for robots. I'm too lazy to google what the book was called. But the theme of the book was that when robots get advanced, they need guidelines to make sure they will remain loyal to their human creators and not get any ideas about world dominion of their own.

I, Robot is a compilation of short stories written in the '40s. These stories are told to a reporter by a robopsychologist, Dr. Susan Calvin, during an interview about her life's work. In the tale "Runaround" the laws governing robotics first appear.

Three Laws of Robotics
  • First Law
    • A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • Second Law
    • A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • Third Law
    • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Asimov eventually added a fourth law to include humanity as a whole.
  • Zeroth Law
    • A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
oops: Johnny beat me to it.
This showed up in quite a few of Asimov's stories. Many of them dealt with the interesting or unforeseen consequences of these laws in actual practice, the logical loopholes, the ethical problems.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

zendae
Ensign

Post by zendae » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:43 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:53 pm
zendae wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:39 pm Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true...
Yah, "true" ends the first line in the 2nd stanza, not the first.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:28 pm

zendae wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:43 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:53 pm
Yah, "true" ends the first line in the 2nd stanza, not the first.
Not from what Wikipedia has to say about the lyrics - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_Bell
The song was originally recorded and released by Dan W. Quinn in 1893.

There is a flower within my heart, Daisy, Daisy!
Planted one day by a glancing dart,
Planted by Daisy Bell!
Whether she loves me or loves me not,
Sometimes it's hard to tell;
Yet I am longing to share the lot
Of beautiful Daisy Bell!

Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer, do!
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage,
But you'll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two!

We will go "tandem" as man and wife, Daisy, Daisy!
"Ped'ling" away down the road of life, I and my Daisy Bell!
When the road's dark we can both despise P'liceman and "lamps" as well;
There are "bright lights" in the dazzling eyes Of beautiful Daisy Bell!
(Chorus)

I will stand by you in "wheel" or woe, Daisy, Daisy!
You'll be the bell(e) which I'll ring you know! Sweet little Daisy Bell!
You'll take the "lead" in each "trip" we take, Then if I don't do well;
I will permit you to use the brake, My beautiful Daisy Bell!
(Chorus)
This site has other lyrics, but they're not the same:
https://genius.com/Harry-dacre-daisy-bell-bicycle-built-for-two-lyrics wrote:
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true
I’m half crazy over the love of you
It won’t be a stylish marriage
I can’t afford a carriage
But you’ll look sweet
Upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

Ruby, Ruby, give me your answer true
Will you let me peddle along with you
When you and I go cruisin’
You’ll thank me for choosin’
You to come and have some fun
On a bicycle built for two

Billy, Billy, give me your answer true
I love riding, do you love it too
Slow or fast or faster
You lead, I’ll follow after
The path flies by as you and I
Ride a bicycle built for two

A bicycle built for two
What the "most correct" version is I'm not sure.
--