1st observational evidence linking black holes to dark energy

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
Jim Leff
Science Officer

Post by Jim Leff » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:42 pm

University of Hawaii News
February 15, 2023

With singularities absent, the paper then shows that the combined vacuum energy of black holes produced in the deaths of the universe’s first stars agrees with the measured quantity of dark energy in our universe.

“We’re really saying two things at once: that there’s evidence the typical black hole solutions don’t work for you on a long, long timescale, and we have the first proposed astrophysical source for dark energy,” said Farrah, lead author of both papers.

“What that means, though, is not that other people haven’t proposed sources for dark energy, but this is the first observational paper where we’re not adding anything new to the universe as a source for dark energy: black holes in Einstein’s theory of gravity are the dark energy.”

Jim Leff
Science Officer

Re: 1st observational evidence linking black holes to dark energy

Post by Jim Leff » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:45 pm

Over my head. Is this interesting?

I'm not claiming to have extracted the most salient quote.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:41 am

Jim Leff wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:45 pm Over my head. Is this interesting?

I'm not claiming to have extracted the most salient quote.
An astrophysicist with her own Youtube channel, Sabine Hossenfelder, has commented on the suggestion that dark energy is made by black holes, and she wasn't convinced (to say the least). You can hear her arguments against the suggestion that dark energy is made by black holes in the first five minutes of the video I have posted below:

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

You may also watch the video below by Dr Becky, who specializes in the study of black holes, and hear her thoughts on the matter:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/3gg1OS435UE?t=1256[/youtube]

Ann
Color Commentator

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:41 pm

First Observational Evidence Linking Black Holes to Dark Energy
Institute for Astronomy | University of Hawai'i | 2023 Feb 15
Searching through existing data spanning 9 billion years, a team of researchers led by scientists at University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa has uncovered the first evidence of “cosmological coupling” –a newly predicted phenomenon in Einstein’s theory of gravity, possible only when black holes are placed inside an evolving universe. ...

The team has recently published two papers ... that studied supermassive black holes at the hearts of ancient and dormant galaxies.

The first paper found that these black holes gain mass over billions of years in a way that can’t easily be explained by standard galaxy and black hole processes, such as mergers or accretion of gas.

The second paper finds that the growth in mass of these black holes matches predictions for black holes that not only cosmologically couple, but also enclose vacuum energy—material that results from squeezing matter as much as possible without breaking Einstein’s equations, thus avoiding a singularity. ...

A Preferential Growth Channel for Supermassive Black
Holes in Elliptical Galaxies at z ≲ 2
~ Duncan Farrah et al Observational Evidence for Cosmological Coupling of Black Holes and
Its Implications for an Astrophysical Source of Dark Energy
~ Duncan Farrah et al
Note: the IfA article has additional text not found in the UHI article
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:46 pm

Jim Leff wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:45 pm Over my head. Is this interesting?
It is. It provides a simple, reasonable, and testable explanation for dark energy. I expect it to stimulate a good deal of research.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com