APOD: Jupiter and Venus from Earth (2023 Mar 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Jupiter and Venus from Earth (2023 Mar 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:05 am

Image Jupiter and Venus from Earth

Explanation: It was visible around the world. The sunset conjunction of Jupiter and Venus in 2012 was visible almost no matter where you lived on Earth. Anyone on the planet with a clear western horizon at sunset could see them. Pictured here in 2012, a creative photographer traveled away from the town lights of Szubin, Poland to image a near closest approach of the two planets. The bright planets were then separated only by three degrees and his daughter struck a humorous pose. A faint red sunset still glowed in the background. Jupiter and Venus are together again this month after sunset, passing within a degree of each other about a week ago.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

michele

Re: APOD: Jupiter and Venus from Earth (2023 Mar 06)

Post by michele » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:05 am

je regarde depuis longtemps tous les matins l'image du jour, et elles sont très souvent très belles et instructives; je n'y connais rien en astronomie, j'aime simplement voir les photos qui sont proposées avec des explications claires, merci

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:33 am

michele wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:05 am je regarde depuis longtemps tous les matins l'image du jour, et elles sont très souvent très belles et instructives; je n'y connais rien en astronomie, j'aime simplement voir les photos qui sont proposées avec des explications claires, merci
I hope one of our members can translate your post!😘
All the photos here are repeats; but are nice! Except Kitty's 8-)
03f3e504f99ee70a9b29dd472be70483.jpg
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Joe Stieber
Science Officer

Post by Joe Stieber » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:39 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:33 am I hope one of our members can translate your post!😘
I have been looking at the picture of the day every morning for a long time, and they are very often very beautiful and informative; I know nothing about astronomy, I just like to see the photos that are offered with clear explanations, thank you

This is a machine translation. In MS Edge, I highlighted the text, right clicked on it and then picked "Translate selection to English."

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:11 pm

Joe Stieber wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:39 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:33 am I hope one of our members can translate your post!😘
I have been looking at the picture of the day every morning for a long time, and they are very often very beautiful and informative; I know nothing about astronomy, I just like to see the photos that are offered with clear explanations, thank you

This is a machine translation. In MS Edge, I highlighted the text, right clicked on it and then picked "Translate selection to English."
Thank you Joe! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:49 pm

By Michele
"I have been considering for a long time every morning the picture of the day, and very often they are very beautiful and instructive; I don't know anything about astronomy, I just like to see the photos that are offered with clear explanations, thanks"

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:50 pm

This kind of reminds me of an old folk song circa ? 1950s called "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands." Except for one slight difference. The daughter in the photo has literally "She's got TWO WHOLE WORLDS in Her Hands! Two whole worlds in her hands ..."