APOD: DART vs Dimorphos (2023 Mar 09)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: DART vs Dimorphos (2023 Mar 09)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:50 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:42 pm
HellCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:26 pm
Well. I didn't read on after that. And I decided never to read a book by Larry Niven again.
Ann
Thank you for this summary Ann!
Now I have no regrets for ever reading this, or Niven.
I once thought Heinlein brilliant, but his mysogyny creates quite the bitter aftertaste.
:clap:
Steve
A shame. Both Heinlein and Niven are great writers with some great ideas and inventive technology. I hope the planned series based on Ringworld actually happens and ends up being well done: I'm looking forward to seeing it! You both might even be tempted if the prediction in this statement turns out to be true:
https://www.wired.com/2022/03/geeks-guide-ringworld-tv/ wrote:Ringworld is currently being adapted for television by Akiva Goldsman, with Game of Thrones director Alan Taylor slated to direct the pilot. Science fiction author Mercurio D. Rivera thinks that Ringworld could make a great show, provided certain changes are made to the source material. “I could see this being turned into something really fantastic,” he says. “Because there’s no way they’re going to include some of the things that bothered us in the TV series—about the way that the female characters are treated. That’ll be fixed. And the setting will be phenomenal. They just need to come up with a better plot.”
Both are/were very creative writers, and both are rather screwed up in terms of their social and political values. So you have to balance those. Niven in particular is a master of creating "hard" scifi. He essentially proposes some law of physics, and then follows that to the cool technology it enables. None of the science conclusively violates known physics, and all of it is internally consistent. (Even his stories about magic.) That's quite fun for those of us who are scientifically inclined.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Re: APOD: DART vs Dimorphos (2023 Mar 09)

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:56 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:50 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:42 pm
HellCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:26 pm

Thank you for this summary Ann!
Now I have no regrets for ever reading this, or Niven.
I once thought Heinlein brilliant, but his mysogyny creates quite the bitter aftertaste.
:clap:
Steve
A shame. Both Heinlein and Niven are great writers with some great ideas and inventive technology. I hope the planned series based on Ringworld actually happens and ends up being well done: I'm looking forward to seeing it! You both might even be tempted if the prediction in this statement turns out to be true:
https://www.wired.com/2022/03/geeks-guide-ringworld-tv/ wrote:Ringworld is currently being adapted for television by Akiva Goldsman, with Game of Thrones director Alan Taylor slated to direct the pilot. Science fiction author Mercurio D. Rivera thinks that Ringworld could make a great show, provided certain changes are made to the source material. “I could see this being turned into something really fantastic,” he says. “Because there’s no way they’re going to include some of the things that bothered us in the TV series—about the way that the female characters are treated. That’ll be fixed. And the setting will be phenomenal. They just need to come up with a better plot.”
Both are/were very creative writers, and both are rather screwed up in terms of their social and political values. So you have to balance those. Niven in particular is a master of creating "hard" scifi. He essentially proposes some law of physics, and then follows that to the cool technology it enables. None of the science conclusively violates known physics, and all of it is internally consistent. (Even his stories about magic.) That's quite fun for those of us who are scientifically inclined.
Well stated!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}