APOD: Saturn's Hyperion: A Moon with Odd... (2023 Mar 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Saturn's Hyperion: A Moon with Odd... (2023 Mar 12)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:06 am

Image Saturn's Hyperion: A Moon with Odd Craters

Explanation: What lies at the bottom of Hyperion's strange craters? To help find out, the robot Cassini spacecraft that once orbited Saturn swooped past the sponge-textured moon and took images of unprecedented detail. A six-image mosaic from the 2005 pass, featured here in scientifically assigned colors, shows a remarkable world strewn with strange craters and an odd, sponge-like surface. At the bottom of most craters lies some type of unknown dark reddish material. This material appears similar to that covering part of another of Saturn's moons, Iapetus, and might sink into the ice moon as it better absorbs warming sunlight. Hyperion is about 250 kilometers across, rotates chaotically, and has a density so low that it likely houses a vast system of caverns inside.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Saturn's Hyperion: A Moon with Odd... (2023 Mar 12)

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:18 am

Orion by Johannes Hevelius sponge question.png
Orion looking for his sponge, by Johannes Hevelius from Uranographia,
celestial catalogue of 1690

Can't get over the fact that Hyperion looks like a sponge. Who could have lost such a thing in space? Who but Orion, the mighty hunter?

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:10 pm

Ann wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:18 am Can't get over the fact that Hyperion looks like a sponge. Who could have lost such a thing in space? Who but Orion, the mighty hunter?

Ann
To me it looks very much like a delicious morel mushroom.
_
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

Post by AVAO » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:18 pm

APOD Robot wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:06 am Image Saturn's Hyperion: A Moon with Odd Craters

...At the bottom of most craters lies some type of unknown dark reddish material...
...I think this is more like the same material that covers the rest of the surface, except that it's wetted in the crater bottom by an unknown liquid...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/527 ... bba0_o.jpg

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:09 pm

AVAO wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:18 pm
APOD Robot wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:06 am Image Saturn's Hyperion: A Moon with Odd Craters

...At the bottom of most craters lies some type of unknown dark reddish material...
...I think this is more like the same material that covers the rest of the surface, except that it's wetted in the crater bottom by an unknown liquid...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/527 ... bba0_o.jpg

So did you turn your Hyperion picture on the side to resemble a desiccated, moldering and fossilized human brain on purpose?

Ann
Color Commentator

zendae
Ensign

Post by zendae » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:17 pm

If there are underground caverns, perhaps controlled conditions are possible for habitation and bases.

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:31 pm

Unknown atomic and molecular compounds encountered when visiting foreign domains pose threats to human safety. Suitports may be the answer to keep your nose from knowing how bad it smells even at Earth’s Hyperion. :p:

I’d much rather smell a tree in hindsight. :wink:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

Post by AVAO » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:17 pm

AVAO wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:18 pm ...I think this is more like the same material that covers the rest of the surface, except that it's wetted in the crater bottom by an unknown liquid...
To be more precise. These currently no longer have to be liquid. I just mean that substances such as methane or ethane in liquid form could have been involved in their formation. The discolouration could then also be the result of chemical reactions.
Many craters with dark areas also have dark spots, which could be outflow openings.

Due to the rupture cliffs, I could also imagine that the whole area in the middle of the APOD picture was not created by a huge impact, but by the whole area slipping into an almost empty core. (If this effectively consists or consisted in large parts of water ice, this could have evaporated during an earlier approach to other moons, for example...)

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:27 pm

Hmm, so the statement "This material appears similar to that covering part of another of Saturn's moons, Iapetus, and might sink into the ice moon as it better absorbs warming sunlight." seems to be implying that the holes in this Saturnian sponge might have formed over time as dark material splotches were - perhaps gently - deposited on the surface, only to cause local heating by absorbing sunlight, thereby melting the underlying material and creating the holes. Pretty neat, if true.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

ErasmusRoterodamus

Post by ErasmusRoterodamus » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:50 pm

Seems that Hyperion may be a very large, dead comet, with nothing left to expel! No guess at what the skeleton consists of!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:22 am

ErasmusRoterodamus wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:50 pm Seems that Hyperion may be a very large, dead comet, with nothing left to expel! No guess at what the skeleton consists of!
My oldest post; a dead comet; but who knows for certain! :shock:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!