APOD: Sunset to Sunrise over the Baltic Sea (2023 Jun 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Sunset to Sunrise over the Baltic Sea (2023 Jun 16)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:05 am

Image Sunset to Sunrise over the Baltic Sea

Explanation: This serene view from the coast of Sweden looks across the Baltic sea and compresses time, presenting the passage of one night in a single photograph. From sunset to sunrise, moonlight illuminates the creative sea and skyscape. Fleeting clouds, fixed stars, and flowing northern lights leave their traces in planet Earth's sky. To construct the timelapse image, 3296 video frames were recorded on the night of June's Full Moon between 7:04pm and 6:35am local time. As time progresses from left to right, a single column of pixels was taken from the corresponding individual frame and combined in sequence into a single digital image 3296 pixels wide.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Sunset to Sunrise over the Baltic Sea (2023 Jun 16)

Post by Ann » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:33 am

Beautiful picture! But I very much recommend the vimeo!
APOD Robot wrote:

To construct the timelapse image, 3296 video frames were recorded on the night of June's Full Moon between 7:04pm and 6:35am local time.
That can't possibly be correct. In the vimeo, which was shot in Sweden, it seems to get dark around 8 p.m., and the Sun seems to rise around 6 a.m. It's not that dark anywhere in Sweden in June. I live in southernmost Sweden, where the summer nights are the darkest, and the Sun doesn't set here until just before 10 p.m., and it's broad daylight at 4 a.m.

I'd say that the vimeo was probably shot in April in Sweden.

Ann
Color Commentator

SuperStargazerScott
Asternaut

Post by SuperStargazerScott » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:01 am

Really a cool picture.
I wish the description had mentioned the seconds per pixel, so I calculated it with TimeAndDate.com
Between 19:04 and 06:35, I got 11 hours, 31 minutes and 0 seconds. At 3600 seconds/hour and 60 seconds/minute, that makes 41,460 total seconds
With a width of 3296 pixels, I calculate 12.6 seconds per vertical pixel column.

Rauf
Science Officer

Post by Rauf » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:59 am

Such a beautiful view, I always wanted to visit Sweden one day.
And Happy 28th birthday APOD!! I am really thankful for everyone who helps APOD to keep running. APOD is actually older than me :ssmile:

lefthip

Post by lefthip » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:08 pm

Yes, the Vimeo gives you the beautiful arc of the Northern lights, a very impressive sight.

Ann, don't forget that the colours and light intensity we see on the screen are adjusted by the operating system to give us the picture that it thinks? we should see. By making manual adjustments you might get what you are expecting.

Krukarius
Asternaut

Post by Krukarius » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:37 pm

It looks like the aurora appeared by the nautical twilight. It's clearly seen by faint twilight glow and quite a lot of stars. It had to be somewhere at the very south of the country.
By the way, an effect perfectly resemble the situation in which an observer could watch the aurora during the 2026 total solar eclipse.
https://www.mkrgeo-blog.com/several-imp ... r-eclipse/

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:38 pm

Krukarius wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:37 pm It looks like the aurora appeared by the nautical twilight. It's clearly seen by faint twilight glow and quite a lot of stars. It had to be somewhere at the very south of the country.
By the way, an effect perfectly resemble the situation in which an observer could watch the aurora during the 2026 total solar eclipse.
https://www.mkrgeo-blog.com/several-imp ... r-eclipse/
I don't think that the vimeo was made in the very southernmost part of Sweden, which is Skåne, where I live. The landscape and types of shore are not like that in Skåne. Look at the trees, for example. They look like spruce. There is a lot of spruce along the coastlines of northern Sweden, but extremely little spruce along the coast of southernmost Sweden. The rounded rocky outcrops sticking up out of the water in the APOD is also something I don't recognize from the part of Sweden where I live.

Well, okay. I guess the picture could maybe possibly maybe be from the archipelago or coastline of Blekinge to the east of Skåne in southeastern Sweden. I'm not familiar with Blekinge, but I still think the APOD doesn't look quite like Blekinge to me.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:15 pm

lefthip wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:08 pm Yes, the Vimeo gives you the beautiful arc of the Northern lights, a very impressive sight.

Ann, don't forget that the colours and light intensity we see on the screen are adjusted by the operating system to give us the picture that it thinks? we should see. By making manual adjustments you might get what you are expecting.
The intensity of the light can be manipulated. The position of the Sun at sunrise, no. It is seen rising at 6am. That's consistent with April 5 (assuming a full Moon date) in southern Sweden.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:16 pm

baltic-sea-timelapse-image_with-timescale600.jpg
It does make a stunning photo. 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:26 am

Ann wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:33 am
APOD Robot wrote:

To construct the timelapse image, 3296 video frames were recorded on the night of June's Full Moon between 7:04pm and 6:35am local time.
That can't possibly be correct. In the vimeo, which was shot in Sweden, it seems to get dark around 8 p.m., and the Sun seems to rise around 6 a.m. It's not that dark anywhere in Sweden in June. I live in southernmost Sweden, where the summer nights are the darkest, and the Sun doesn't set here until just before 10 p.m., and it's broad daylight at 4 a.m.

Ann
Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:15 pm ...
The intensity of the light can be manipulated. The position of the Sun at sunrise, no. It is seen rising at 6am. That's consistent with April 5 (assuming a full Moon date) in southern Sweden.
These responses indicated to me there was some confusion somewhere. Ann thought that Summer daylight in Sweden was too long for the Vimeo exposures, Chris suggests a reasonable solution to this by proposing April as the month of the image, and lastly, the reference to "June full moon" removed from the main page. I love confusion (lol) so I joined this fray.

I've concluded that the APOD description is pretty messed up for whatever reason, and the image is really something way different.
I identified a narrow range of Vimeo frames that I think spells out the scoop here:
  1. Manually scanning through Vimeo, I reconstructed the FoV in Stellarium and ultimately simulated the Vimeo constellations passage over time:
    → The sky field (excluding foreground) is ~135° x 44°
    → Discovered the big dipper swings a wide range through lower culmination during darkness which is not possible until roughtly Aug - Dec
  2. Around 2:56 Vimeo time, I became aware of a bright object in Gemini (lower right):
    → I searched backward in 1-year increments until an object showed up.
    → Surprisingly, on Nov 25, 2010 (~19:20 for the frame I chose), an 81%-illuminated moon showed up in exactly the position of the unkown object! (Jupiter and Mars were never close)
    Note: I found no date/time for when the image sequence was taken. Only that Vimeo was uploaded on June 8, 2023.

Bottom line:
  • I'm confident the combined constellation IDs and the spot-on circumstances of the moon position clinches the Fall timing of the Vimeo frames.
  • Total exposure time is not ~11½ hours (as in the description), but instead around 17 hours (a lengthy Fall night). For my chosen location of
    Akersberga, Sweden, the sun sets on Nov 24 14:01UT and rises on Nov 25 7:09 UT or about 17 hours when the sun is below the horizon.
  • Where exactly in the location in southern Sweden is not important. Location will affect sunrise/sunset times a little, but not so much the visible
    nighttime constellations or the nugget moon location in Gemini.
I think this will hold true but I'm bothered by such disagreement in the APOD description.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:26 am

alter-ego wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:26 am
APOD Robot wrote:

Ann
These responses indicated to me there was some confusion somewhere. Ann thought that Summer daylight in Sweden was too long for the Vimeo exposures, Chris suggests a reasonable solution to this by proposing April as the month of the image, and lastly, the reference to "June full moon" removed from the main page. I love confusion (lol) so I joined this fray.

I've concluded that the APOD description is pretty messed up for whatever reason, and the image is really something way different.
I identified a narrow range of Vimeo frames that I think spells out the scoop here:
  1. Manually scanning through Vimeo, I reconstructed the FoV in Stellarium and ultimately simulated the Vimeo constellations passage over time:
    → Discovered the big dipper swings a wide range through lower culmination during darkness which is not possible until roughtly Aug - Dec
  2. Around 2:56 Vimeo time, I became aware of a bright object in Gemini (lower right):
    → Surprisingly, on Nov 25, 2010 (~19:20 for the frame I chose), an 81%-illuminated moon showed up in exactly the position of the unkown object! (Jupiter and Mars were never close)
    Note: I found no date/time for when the image sequence was taken. Only that Vimeo was uploaded on June 8, 2023.

Bottom line:
  • I'm confident the combined constellation IDs and the spot-on circumstances of the moon position clinches the Fall timing of the Vimeo frames.
  • Total exposure time is not ~11½ hours (as in the description), but instead around 17 hours (a lengthy Fall night). For my chosen location of
    Akersberga, Sweden, the sun sets on Nov 24 14:01UT and rises on Nov 25 7:09 UT or about 17 hours when the sun is below the horizon.
  • Where exactly in the location in southern Sweden is not important. Location will affect sunrise/sunset times a little, but not so much the visible
I think this will hold true but I'm bothered by such disagreement in the APOD description.
Thanks, alter-ego! I love your detective work!

Ann
Color Commentator

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:38 am

Ann wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:26 am
alter-ego wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:26 am

Ann

Bottom line:
Thanks, alter-ego! I love your detective work!

Ann
Thank you, Ann.
Two things have bothered me that I couldn't really accept. First was needing to go back to 2010 for a solution to the APOD timing. It just didn't feel right, and second, if that object was the moon, I thought I should be able to identify a bigger blob. I realized that I hadn't run across Venus in my searches and wondered if I missed it. Turns out I did (comes and goes pretty quickly!), and as close as I could tell, Venus does fit better amongst the stars by maybe 0.5°. There are only two dates between 2010 and now that are potential solutions: 9/1/2012, and 9/1/2020. I think the latter, most recent time is the most likely. For that night, the sun was below the horizon ~14 hours which is more in line with the APOD timescale, and a 98% full moon illuminated the scene the entire night.
I'm now satisfied with the solution :yes:
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist