APOD: The Ring Nebula from Webb (2023 Aug 14)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

ESA: Webb Captures Detailed Beauty of Ring Nebula (M57)

Post by bystander » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:37 pm

Webb Captures Detailed Beauty of Ring Nebula
ESA Webb Photo Release | 2023 Aug 21
Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
Webb and Hubble’s Views of the Ring Nebula
Image 1 Credit: Webb (NIRCam): ESA/Webb, NASA, CSA, M. Barlow, N. Cox, R. Wesson
Image 2 Credit: Hubble: NASA, ESA, and C. Robert O’Dell (Vanderbilt University)

The NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope has observed the well-known Ring Nebula with unprecedented detail. Formed by a star throwing off its outer layers as it runs out of fuel, the Ring Nebula is an archetypal planetary nebula. The object is also known as M57 and NGC 6720, and is relatively close to Earth at roughly 2,500 light-years away.

The new images provide unprecedented spatial resolution and spectral sensitivity, which also reveal unique details across both infrared observations. For example, the new image from NIRCam (Near-InfraRed Camera) shows the intricate details of the filament structure of the inner ring, while the new image from MIRI (Mid-InfraRed Instrument) reveals particular details in the concentric features in the outer regions of the nebulae’s ring. ...

Note: Image from Hubble
Last edited by bystander on Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link weic2319c to weic2320c
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

johnnydeep
Commodore

Re: ESA: Webb Captures Detailed Beauty of Ring Nebula (M57)

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:26 pm

bystander wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:37 pm Webb Captures Detailed Beauty of Ring Nebula
Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
Webb and Hubble’s Views of the Ring Nebula
Image 1 Credit: Webb (NIRCam): ESA/Webb, NASA, CSA, M. Barlow, N. Cox, R. Wesson
Image 2 Credit: Hubble: NASA, ESA, and C. Robert O’Dell (Vanderbilt University)

The NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope has observed the well-known Ring Nebula with unprecedented detail. Formed by a star throwing off its outer layers as it runs out of fuel, the Ring Nebula is an archetypal planetary nebula. The object is also known as M57 and NGC 6720, and is relatively close to Earth at roughly 2,500 light-years away.

The new images provide unprecedented spatial resolution and spectral sensitivity, which also reveal unique details across both infrared observations. For example, the new image from NIRCam (Near-InfraRed Camera) shows the intricate details of the filament structure of the inner ring, while the new image from MIRI (Mid-InfraRed Instrument) reveals particular details in the concentric features in the outer regions of the nebulae’s ring. ...

Note: Image from Hubble
I'm probably missing something, but is this a new image that isn't part of the APOD? Either the NIRcam or MIRI? PS - the https://esawebb.org/images/weic2319c/ link seems to be stale.
Last edited by johnnydeep on Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:23 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:26 pm
bystander wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:37 pm Webb Captures Detailed Beauty of Ring Nebula
I'm probably missing something, but is this a new image that isn't part of the APOD? Either the NIRcam or MIRI?
PS - the https://esawebb.org/images/weic2319c/ link seems to be stale.

As far as I know these are the only Webb images of M57. These images were processed by people other than Zi Yang Kong (APOD). The APOD image seems to contain MIRI, NIRCam, and Hubble data. They are all separate here.

Fixed the link. Not sure what went wrong on ESA Webb's page.
weic2319 had nothing at all to do with this image.

NASA blog
STScI blog
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:17 pm

bystander wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:23 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:26 pm
I'm probably missing something, but is this a new image that isn't part of the APOD? Either the NIRcam or MIRI?
PS - the https://esawebb.org/images/weic2319c/ link seems to be stale.

As far as I know these are the only Webb images of M57. These images were processed by people other than Zi Yang Kong (APOD). The APOD image seems to contain MIRI, NIRCam, and Hubble data. They are all separate here.

Fixed the link. Not sure what went wrong on ESA Webb's page.
weic2319 had nothing at all to do with this image.

NASA blog
STScI blog
Ok, got it - thanks.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Re: APOD: The Ring Nebula from Webb (2023 Aug 14)

Post by RJN » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:45 pm

Here is a response from the astrophotogrpaher who is having trouble uploading images to the Asterisk. - RJN
Hi, everyone I'm ZiYang Kong. I promise,I've never combined hubble's data into this picture, let me tell you why you think this photo is like hubble's image,because I use Range Selection to make a mask but I use smoothness too much so after enhance the structure the edge is fault that's why you think my photo is combined with hubble' picture,I use scnr to make the core color green to blue(actually it's faked color)it’s not color from hubble’s and I combined the Range mask to let core darker but edge brighter so the detail is like hubble's image ,I have tried to combined hubble's image,but failed,Star Alignment can't align stars because their shape gap too large,you can use your pixinsight to try it .so the only things i can do is to make the color similar to hubble's or like ngc7293's sho colour,give you a tip you can use siril or sxt to subtract 1/f noise also if you subtract blue from my picture you will find sxt by-effect,the most important thing is that I use acdnr to denoise(my nxt is broken) it vague the structure maybe you think it‘s a sign of combine ,you can see the difference in the picture below.
unnamed (25).jpg
image002 (1).png
image003.png
image004.png

go_webb
Asternaut

Re: APOD: The Ring Nebula from Webb (2023 Aug 14)

Post by go_webb » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:50 pm

Hi ZiYang! Would you be able to comment as to why the Hubble diffraction spike is then visible in the bottom left star of the submitted APOD image? (as noted earlier by @AVAO and @alter-ego). Thanks!