APOD: Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 Fragments (2023 Sep 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 Fragments (2023 Sep 03)

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:48 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:18 pm
emc wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:36 am
orin stepanek wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:24 pm fragb73p_hst_960.jpg
Comets are fascinating snowballs! I wonder how much of Earths
ocean came from comets? :shock:
If the Big Bang theory is correct, everything came from a single point. So wouldn’t everything have started together? Then during the expansion a P-R effect would have affected the distribution of matter? So there’s no human way of telling how much? :mrgreen:
Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:19 pm

It's the Poynting-Roberstson effect, a drag force involving radiation pressure. It slowly clears the Solar System of dust by causing it to decay into the Sun. (Of course, we have comets that are always replenishing that dust.)
Chris, Was my reply to Orin a correct usage of the P-R effect?
orin stepanek wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:24 pm d1bb1bcb8e244356d0bd053e134344a3.jpg
Kitty enjoying a sun bath!
Orin,
Cute kitty. But a stretch for this thread. :mrgreen:

Dang! I can’t remembered how to post the images. All I get is the image file name when I quote.
I'm not Chris, but I don't think the P-R effect had much at all to do with the large scale aftermath of the Big Bang, or even the early formation of the Solar System. Comets (just "dirty snowballs" per Carl Sagan) were plentiful in the nascent Solar System, and were bombarding all forming planets and planetesimals. I'd bet that MOST of Earth's water originated from them. But I'm not sure if we could ever figure out an accurate graph of the Earth's water content over time from 4.5 Byrs ago to the present. Chris will no doubt helpfully point out where I'm "all wet" in my suppositions here, if necessary. :=)

And yes, the kitty is indeed a bit of a "stretch" for this thread! (yes, I do sometimes understand jokes!)

And to post images you either use the [img], [img2] or [img3] tags, using the buttons provided, or upload images from your local machine as attachments, using the Attachments tab interface below the posting text box.
When kitties or doggies are in the write up I ikt to show them! 😍
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:51 pm

bystander wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:06 pm
emc wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:36 am Dang! I can’t remembered how to post the images. All I get is the image file name when I quote.
How to post images
Thanks bystander! You tha man too!
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:00 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:24 pm fragb73p_hst_960.jpg
Comets are fascinating snowballs! I wonder how much of Earths
ocean came from comets? :shock:
If the Big Bang theory is correct, everything came from a single point. So wouldn’t everything have started together? Then during the expansion a P-R effect would have affected the distribution of matter? So there’s no human way of telling how much? :mrgreen:
Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:19 pm

It's the Poynting-Roberstson effect, a drag force involving radiation pressure. It slowly clears the Solar System of dust by causing it to decay into the Sun. (Of course, we have comets that are always replenishing that dust.)
orin stepanek wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:24 pm d1bb1bcb8e244356d0bd053e134344a3.jpg
Kitty enjoying a sun bath!
Orin,

Dang! I can’t remembered how to post the images. All I get is the image file name when I quote.
I'm not Chris, but I don't think the P-R effect had much at all to do with the large scale aftermath of the Big Bang, or even the early formation of the Solar System. Comets (just "dirty snowballs" per Carl Sagan) were plentiful in the nascent Solar System, and were bombarding all forming planets and planetesimals. I'd bet that MOST of Earth's water originated from them. But I'm not sure if we could ever figure out an accurate graph of the Earth's water content over time from 4.5 Byrs ago to the present. Chris will no doubt helpfully point out where I'm "all wet" in my suppositions here, if necessary. :=)

And yes, the kitty is indeed a bit of a "stretch" for this thread! (yes, I do sometimes understand jokes!)

And to post images you either use the [img], [img2] or [img3] tags, using the buttons provided, or upload images from your local machine as attachments, using the Attachments tab interface below the posting text box.
Thanks johnnydeep! Nice to meet you!
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:47 pm

emc wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:00 pm

Orin,

Thanks johnnydeep! Nice to meet you!
Likewise, Ed.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}