Enhancing the APOD Experience: A User-Friendly Makeover

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Imad_Saddik
Asternaut

Enhancing the APOD Experience: A User-Friendly Makeover

Post by Imad_Saddik » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:47 pm

Greetings, APOD enthusiasts! I'm Imad, from Morocco, and I've been using the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) website for quite some time now. However, I've noticed that the website's user interface has begun to show its age, and it's becoming increasingly challenging to navigate through its extensive archive.

I believe it's time to give some love to the APOD website. Currently, when I search for a specific image I've seen before, it involves using Ctrl+F to find keywords, followed by sifting through numerous links to locate the desired image. To make the user experience more seamless, I propose a new design concept, which I've showcased in a video.

In a nutshell, my redesign eliminates the need to click through links by displaying images directly. Users can simply click on an image if they wish to learn more about it. Additionally, users can create accounts to 'like' images, with liked images automatically populating a 'Favorites' page. Furthermore, a 'Trending' page would display images based on the number of likes they've received.

I invite you to share your thoughts on this idea, and if you're interested in seeing my concept in action, please watch the introductory section of the video, where I demonstrate the features of my redesigned APOD website. Together, we can make the APOD experience even more engaging and user-friendly. :D
Click to play embedded YouTube video.