APOD: A Partial Lunar Eclipse (2023 Oct 29)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Partial Lunar Eclipse (2023 Oct 29)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:05 am

Image A Partial Lunar Eclipse

Explanation: What's happened to the Moon? Within the last day, part of the Moon moved through the Earth's shadow. This happens about once or twice a year, but not every month since the Moon's orbit around the Earth is slightly tilted. Pictured here, the face of a full Hunter's Moon is shown twice from Italy during this partial lunar eclipse. On the left, most of the Moon appears over[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_(photography)" >exposed</a> except for the eclipsed bottom right, which shows some familiar <a href="ap220612.html]lunar surface[/url] details. In contrast, on the right, most of the (same) Moon appears normally exposed, with the exception of the bottom right, which now appears dark. All lunar eclipses are visible from the half of the Earth facing the Moon at the time of the eclipse, but this eclipse was visible specifically from Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia, clouds permitting. In April, a total solar eclipse will be visible from North America.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Re: APOD: A Partial Lunar Eclipse (2023 Oct 29)

Post by JohnD » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:31 am

A "Hunter's Moon" is it?
Attachments
Special Moon.jpeg

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:29 am

Okay, Phryne, you can get dressed now!
Wikipedia wrote:

Phryne (/ˈfraɪni/; Ancient Greek: Φρύνη, romanized: Phrū́nē, c. 371 BC – after 316 BC) was an ancient Greek hetaira (courtesan). From Thespiae in Boeotia, she was active in Athens, where she became one of the wealthiest women in Greece. She is best known for her trial for impiety, where she was defended by the orator Hypereides. According to legend, she was acquitted after baring her breasts to the jury
Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:08 pm

Ann wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:29 am
Wikipedia wrote:

Phryne (/ˈfraɪni/; Ancient Greek: Φρύνη, romanized: Phrū́nē, c. 371 BC – after 316 BC) was an ancient Greek hetaira (courtesan). From Thespiae in Boeotia, she was active in Athens, where she became one of the wealthiest women in Greece. She is best known for her trial for impiety, where she was defended by the orator Hypereides. According to legend, she was acquitted after baring her breasts to the jury
Ann
Right idea. Wrong anatomy. Perhaps the idiom isn't present in Swedish. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... sh/mooning
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:53 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:08 pm
Ann wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:29 am
Wikipedia wrote:

Ann
Right idea. Wrong anatomy. Perhaps the idiom isn't present in Swedish. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... sh/mooning
I do know it, but it isn't used so much in Swedish (at least not among people I normally speak to and listen to). I wasn't thinking. :oops:

Ann
Color Commentator

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:34 pm

Last nights Hunter's moon did have a side kick.
IMG_6606 a.JPG
Though our two side kicks
IMG_6552 a.JPG
where fast asleep after a day at the lake
IMG_6566 a.JPG
on a cool October day. :brr:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

MelvzLuster
Ensign
AKA: Yahweh Sabaoth

Post by MelvzLuster » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:01 pm

A lunar eclipse is a natural phenomenon where the Earth's shadow from the Sun is visible at the moon's surface. Our Earth is positioned in the middle of the Sun and the Moon. Right! Now that we have a partial lunar eclipse the moon is blackened by the Earth's shadow and its surface is difficult to gaze upon because the observer's view is covered but with the aid of modern instruments, we can now observe the moon naturally.
Cmdr. Melvyn M. Lusterio
NASA's Space Commander-Engineer
USS Victory NCC 1967

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:50 pm

So these are two shots at about the same time taken with different exposure settings?
Last edited by johnnydeep on Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:52 pm

Fred the Cat wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:34 pm Last nights Hunter's moon did have a side kick.
IMG_6606 a.JPG
Though our two side kicks
IMG_6552 a.JPG
where fast asleep after a day at the lake
IMG_6566 a.JPG
on a cool October day. :brr:
Or a bottom kick in this case, as well as a few ensconcing pine branches it looks like.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:02 pm

Gout_EclipseCollage-1024.jpg
I love this one!
moon.orbit_-e1498934371864.jpg
Looks like a lot of tilt on the picture!
8298383476_bd8d1bc879_b.jpg
I had to get kitty in!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:14 pm

I have actually seen mooning myself. But because we Swedes have borrowed the American word, mooning, while at the same time we use our Swedish word måne for the Moon, it isn't immediately obvious to a Swede that mooning has anything to do with the Moon.

As I said, I have seen mooning. It happened in Lidköping, a pretty little Swedish town of some 25,000 inhabitants, less than a tenth of the number of people who live in my hometown of Malmö.

Lidköping is a cute little town and people are nice and well-behaved, but because there isn't that much to do in such a smallish town, cruising and spending money on cars is very popular in Lidköping.

So one year I saw their Power Big Meet, and there were hundreds of cars from the fifties (mostly) driving up and down the streets of Lidköping. At the very end of the parade, there was a car whose owners had painted their vehicle in garish colors, adorned it with pictures of skulls and the like, and allowed deafening music to escape from one of the open front seat windows. From the other window, a pair of naked buttocks protruded.

I can tell you one thing about my reaction to the window-framed naked butt. I wasn't thinking about the Moon. 🌝

Ann
Color Commentator

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:33 pm

Phases of the Moon Pie:

--