JWST gazes into a galactic garden of budding stars

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

JWST gazes into a galactic garden of budding stars

Post by AVAO » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:46 pm

WEBB: JWST gazes into a galactic garden of budding stars
www.space.com | ESA Webb | 2023 Nov 01
This stunning spiral isn’t a gateway to the abyss. It’s the galaxy M83, as seen through the eyes of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST). More specifically, the spaceborne observatory captured this image by tapping into one of its powerful infrared devices, the Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI). Also known as NGC 5236, M83 is a barred spiral galaxy located about 15 million light-years from us. It's of particular interest to astronomers trying to learn more about star formation.
In the image, bright blue regions in the middle indicate areas of dense stars in M83’s galactic center. The bright yellow tendrils spindling out indicate stellar nurseries, or regions where large batches of new stars are actively forming. And the orange-red splashes mark regions rich in polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which are carbon-based compounds that MIRI’s wavelengths are ideal for detecting.
www.space.com

Zoomable: https://esawebb.org/images/potm2310c/zoomable/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtcZjRn9BQM
TY4YA Jac

AVAO
Commander

Re: JWST gazes into a galactic garden of budding stars

Post by AVAO » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:51 am

AVAO wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:46 pm WEBB: JWST gazes into a galactic garden of budding stars

Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
Credit: NASA/ESA/CSA (HST/infillJWST) Full Resolution View

Spiral galaxy Messier 83*
Credit: NASA/ESA (HST) Zoomable Full Resolution View TIFF Download

Beyond the Borders of a Galaxy
NASA/JPL-Caltech/VLA/MPIA (GALEX(UV)) Full Resolution View TIFF Download

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:17 am

AVAO wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:46 pm WEBB: JWST gazes into a galactic garden of budding stars
This stunning spiral isn’t a gateway to the abyss. It’s the galaxy M83, as seen through the eyes of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST). More specifically, the spaceborne observatory captured this image by tapping into one of its powerful infrared devices, the Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI). Also known as NGC 5236, M83 is a barred spiral galaxy located about 15 million light-years from us. It's of particular interest to astronomers trying to learn more about star formation.
In the image, bright blue regions in the middle indicate areas of dense stars in M83’s galactic center. The bright yellow tendrils spindling out indicate stellar nurseries, or regions where large batches of new stars are actively forming. And the orange-red splashes mark regions rich in polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which are carbon-based compounds that MIRI’s wavelengths are ideal for detecting.
www.space.com

Zoomable: https://esawebb.org/images/potm2310c/zoomable/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtcZjRn9BQM
TY4YA Jac
Fantastic, Jac! I love galaxies, and I love the never-before-seen look at them that MIRI provides. Thank you for posting these images! :D

In your second post, there is a picture of M83 with a lot of rectangles plus one square overlaid on it. What do these geometric figures mean?

Ann
Color Commentator

AVAO
Commander

Post by AVAO » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:53 am

Ann wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:17 am
Fantastic, Jac! I love galaxies, and I love the never-before-seen look at them that MIRI provides. Thank you for posting these images! :D

In your second post, there is a picture of M83 with a lot of rectangles plus one square overlaid on it. What do these geometric figures mean?

Ann
Hi Ann

Green rectangles show the available HST images and orange JWST.

I would also like to invite you to comment on my new sub-discussions ( AstroRTC: Research Treasure Chest ) and ( DeepSPN: Deep Sky Pre-News ) in the Asterisk Café. Next week there will also be a new sub-discussion about JWST livestream images.

Jac

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:51 pm

AVAO wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:53 am
Ann wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:17 am

Ann
Hi Ann

Green rectangles show the available HST images and orange JWST.

I would also like to invite you to comment on my new sub-discussions ( AstroRTC: Research Treasure Chest ) and ( DeepSPN: Deep Sky Pre-News ) in the Asterisk Café. Next week there will also be a new sub-discussion about JWST livestream images.

Jac
Thanks for the info, Jac!

I think it's great that you've started that research discussion thread in the Asterisk Café. I'd like to pop in, if the time for the livestream is suitable for me.

Ann
Color Commentator