APOD: Moon Setting Behind Teide Volcano (2023 Dec 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Moon Setting Behind Teide Volcano (2023 Dec 03)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:06 am

Image Moon Setting Behind Teide Volcano

Explanation: These people are not in danger. What is coming down from the left is just the Moon, far in the distance. Luna appears so large here because she is being photographed through a telescopic lens. What is moving is mostly the Earth, whose spin causes the Moon to slowly disappear behind Mount Teide, a volcano in the Canary Islands off the northwest coast of Africa. The people pictured are 16 kilometers away and many are facing the camera because they are watching the Sun rise behind the photographer. It is not a coincidence that a full moon rises just when the Sun sets because the Sun is always on the opposite side of the sky from a full moon. The featured video was made in 2018 during the full Milk Moon. The video is not time-lapse -- this was really how fast the Moon was setting.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Confused
Science Officer

Re: APOD: Moon Setting Behind Teide Volcano (2023 Dec 03)

Post by Confused » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:22 pm

Is there a fire on the peak? There appears to be smoke rising from it. I do not however see the smoke when the Moon is not behind the peak, therefore it is probably an illusion.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:27 pm

Confused wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:22 pm Is there a fire on the peak? There appears to be smoke rising from it. I do not however see the smoke when the Moon is not behind the peak, therefore it is probably an illusion.
Almost certainly no fire, but it conceivably might have been smoke rising from the volcano, assuming it's even active. But in this case I do think the "smoke" is just an optical effect of some kind.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:57 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:27 pm
Confused wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:22 pm Is there a fire on the peak? There appears to be smoke rising from it. I do not however see the smoke when the Moon is not behind the peak, therefore it is probably an illusion.
Almost certainly no fire, but it conceivably might have been smoke rising from the volcano, assuming it's even active. But in this case I do think the "smoke" is just an optical effect of some kind.
We're looking horizontally through 16 km of air! I'm amazed we don't see more thermal effects.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:01 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:57 pm
We're looking horizontally through 16 km of air! I'm amazed we don't see more thermal effects.
True!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:57 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:01 pm

True!
Is occurred to me that the distance from the camera to the people on the volcano is 16 km, but there's also a few more km of atmosphere that the light from the moon would have to go through before reaching those people!
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:03 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:57 pm

True!
Is occurred to me that the distance from the camera to the people on the volcano is 16 km, but there's also a few more km of atmosphere that the light from the moon would have to go through before reaching those people!
True... but they're at 12,000 feet or so, so most of the continuing path is largely above the strongest atmospheric effects, and mainly just blurs out lunar features a little. Probably most of the visible, convective motion we're seeing is quite close to the camera.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:08 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:03 pm

True!
True... but they're at 12,000 feet or so, so most of the continuing path is largely above the strongest atmospheric effects, and mainly just blurs out lunar features a little. Probably most of the visible, convective motion we're seeing is quite close to the camera.
Thanks. And I presume any atmospheric thermal effects would also be minimal in the more typical case of a telescope pointed at the moon much more vertically.
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:14 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:08 pm

Thanks. And I presume any atmospheric thermal effects would also be minimal in the more typical case of a telescope pointed at the moon much more vertically.
Seeing issues tend to involve ground effects in the few tens of meters close to the ground, and the effects of high altitude winds at thousands of meters. The latter is what makes stars twinkle and creates local distortion on the Moon here, but it just looks like random wiggling. The ground effects result from mostly rising air, so we see a different kind of structure if we're looking horizontally through it.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:23 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:14 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:08 pm
Seeing issues tend to involve ground effects in the few tens of meters close to the ground, and the effects of high altitude winds at thousands of meters. The latter is what makes stars twinkle and creates local distortion on the Moon here, but it just looks like random wiggling. The ground effects result from mostly rising air, so we see a different kind of structure if we're looking horizontally through it.
Ah - got it.
--

Confused
Science Officer

Post by Confused » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:43 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:57 pm Is occurred to me that the distance from the camera to the people on the volcano is 16 km, but there's also a few more km of atmosphere that the light from the moon would have to go through before reaching those people!
Except whatever it is that I see, it is only near the land and only rising from the land, in the direction opposing the perceived direction of movement of the Moon. Twice in the video I see flashes of light, one at the very end of the video. If it is real smoke it is strange we do not see it when the Moon is not behind it.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:09 pm

Confused wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:43 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:57 pm Is occurred to me that the distance from the camera to the people on the volcano is 16 km, but there's also a few more km of atmosphere that the light from the moon would have to go through before reaching those people!
Except whatever it is that I see, it is only near the land and only rising from the land, in the direction opposing the perceived direction of movement of the Moon. Twice in the video I see flashes of light, one at the very end of the video. If it is real smoke it is strange we do not see it when the Moon is not behind it.
I don't think there is any smoke.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:18 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:09 pm
I do see the flashes of light, all from the same area - which also happens to have a bunch of people. Not sure what it is. Here's a flash near the end:

fire on the mountain.png
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:27 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:18 pm

I do see the flashes of light, all from the same area - which also happens to have a bunch of people. Not sure what it is. Here's a flash near the end:

fire on the mountain.png
Since those people are watching the Sun come up behind the camera, it's hardly surprising that we'd see bright reflections off their cameras or other things they have with them.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:29 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:27 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:18 pm

fire on the mountain.png
Since those people are watching the Sun come up behind the camera, it's hardly surprising that we'd see bright reflections off their cameras or other things they have with them.
Thanks. Funny how there's a very reasonable explanation for almost everything! :ssmile:
--

pferkul
Ensign

Post by pferkul » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:38 pm

Very good!

Here's a version with different background music, the conclusion to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata:

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Daveman1

Post by Daveman1 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:36 pm

Am I missing something? Shouldn't "It is not a coincidence that a full moon rises just when the Sun sets" be the other way around? We are watching the moon set behind people who are watching the sun rise, aren't we?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:48 pm

Daveman1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:36 pm Am I missing something? Shouldn't "It is not a coincidence that a full moon rises just when the Sun sets" be the other way around? We are watching the moon set behind people who are watching the sun rise, aren't we?
Of course, the statement is correct either way. But yes... in the context of what's happening here, it would read better the other way.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Daveman1

Post by Daveman1 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:57 pm

Thanks Chris. Not complaining, just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding. I'm a big fan of these guys. I congratulated them on the 5th anniversary of APOD and one of them (can't remember which) wrote back. Nice! :ssmile: