APOD: Stars Versus Dust in the Carina Nebula (2023 Dec 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Stars Versus Dust in the Carina Nebula (2023 Dec 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:08 am

Image Stars Versus Dust in the Carina Nebula

Explanation: It's stars versus dust in the Carina Nebula and the stars are winning. More precisely, the energetic light and winds from massive newly formed stars are evaporating and dispersing the dusty stellar nurseries in which they formed. Located in the Carina Nebula and inside a region known informally as Mystic Mountain, these pillars' appearance is dominated by opaque brown dust even though it is composed mostly of clear hydrogen gas. Even though some of the dust pillars look like torches, their ends are not on fire -- rather, they are illuminated by nearby stars. About 7,500 light-years distant, the featured image was taken with the Hubble Space Telescope and highlights an interior region of Carina known as HH1066 which spans nearly a light year. Within a few million years, the stars will likely win out completely and the dust torches will completely evaporate.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Stars Versus Dust in the Carina Nebula (2023 Dec 06)

Post by Ann » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:11 am

That's confusing!

APOD Robot wrote:

Located in the Carina Nebula and inside a region known informally as Mystic Mountain

I was wondering if today's APOD might be showing a jet, since the formations are so broken up. The jets in Mystic Mountain are gorgeous, by the way! :D

But the formations in today's APOD don't look like bits of a jet to me, because I can't see anything resembling a bow shock. They look more like pillars in projection.

I wonder if there might just be a tiny low-mass star buried near the top of one of the smaller pillars.

APOD 6 December 2023 detail annotated.png

Well, interesting! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

Thwack

Post by Thwack » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:32 pm

Ann wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:11 am That's confusing!

APOD Robot wrote:

Located in the Carina Nebula and inside a region known informally as Mystic Mountain
The thin vertical wisp that exits the top of the frame of today's APOD enters the bottom of the frame of the Mystic Mountain linked image a little to the right of center. Today's APOD appears at about the 2 to 3 o'clock position halfway between center and edge of the frame in the "Carina Nebula" linked image, reversed and rotated.

Flyboy1331

Post by Flyboy1331 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:44 pm

Hello, usually when photographing stars in deep space, there "spikes" around the stars, which I know are artifacts of crossbeams (or whatever) of the telescope or camera. However, today's picture displays smooth disks for stars. What prevents the "spikes" here?

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:51 pm

Thwack wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:32 pm
Ann wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:11 am That's confusing!

APOD Robot wrote:

The thin vertical wisp that exits the top of the frame of today's APOD enters the bottom of the frame of the Mystic Mountain linked image a little to the right of center. Today's APOD appears at about the 2 to 3 o'clock position halfway between center and edge of the frame in the "Carina Nebula" linked image, reversed and rotated.
Sometimes - in fact, almost always - a picture helps:

carina nebula detail.jpg
Last edited by johnnydeep on Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:52 pm

Flyboy1331 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:44 pm Hello, usually when photographing stars in deep space, there "spikes" around the stars, which I know are artifacts of crossbeams (or whatever) of the telescope or camera. However, today's picture displays smooth disks for stars. What prevents the "spikes" here?
They are erased in the laboratories

CHUKAR

Post by CHUKAR » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:37 pm

Skipping over the hydrogen component, how large are the "dust particles" in such a cloud, as in a size range?
Can they be as large as the rocks/dustballs/iceballs/composites out in the Oort cloud or Kuiper belt that occasionally become comets?
Chuck Almdale
webinfo493@verizon.net

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:48 pm

CHUKAR wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:37 pm Skipping over the hydrogen component, how large are the "dust particles" in such a cloud, as in a size range?
Can they be as large as the rocks/dustballs/iceballs/composites out in the Oort cloud or Kuiper belt that occasionally become comets?
Chuck Almdale
webinfo493@verizon.net
No, this really is dust as we intuit the word. It ranges from molecular to a few micrometers.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

Post by AVAO » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:52 am

Ann wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:11 am
... The jets in Mystic Mountain are gorgeous, by the way! :D ...

Ann

"Spooky neighborhood - but I like this too :evil:

bigger https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/533 ... ab51_o.jpg
jac berne (flickr)

jac berne (flickr)