APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 5370
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:05 am

Image The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938

Explanation: Yes, but can your blizzard do this? In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan's Storm of the Century in 1938, some snow drifts reached the level of utility poles. Nearly a meter of new and unexpected snow fell over two days in a storm that started 86 years ago this week. As snow fell and gale-force winds piled snow to surreal heights, many roads became not only impassable but unplowable; people became stranded, cars, school buses and a train became mired, and even a dangerous fire raged. Two people were killed and some students were forced to spend several consecutive days at school. The featured image was taken by a local resident soon after the storm. Although all of this snow eventually melted, repeated snow storms like this help build lasting glaciers in snowy regions of our planet Earth.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

shaileshs
Ensign
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by shaileshs » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:58 pm

Sorry, what's today's APOD got to do with "A" in "APOD" ? :( It happens from time to time, I wonder what the person in-charge of posting APOD was drinking last night..

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18179
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:00 pm

shaileshs wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:58 pm Sorry, what's today's APOD got to do with "A" in "APOD" ? :( It happens from time to time, I wonder what the person in-charge of posting APOD was drinking last night..
What does an image of Mars have to do with the "A" in "APOD"?
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

stardaddyed
Asternaut
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by stardaddyed » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:05 pm

Gotta agree, not much astronomy in today's pic. Nebula, planets, stars, etc that kind of things.

Ironwood

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by Ironwood » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:50 pm

While I too prefer deep sky images that provoke color commentary, I still enjoy visiting all the links in the description. In reality, every photograph ever taken is of a part of the cosmos. Some are just closer to home than others. Thanks to the APOD editors for making it entertaining enough that I have visited almost every day for many years.

If it went away, I would miss it even more than I miss OPOD, the atmospheric optics page.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:48 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:00 pm
shaileshs wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:58 pm Sorry, what's today's APOD got to do with "A" in "APOD" ? :( It happens from time to time, I wonder what the person in-charge of posting APOD was drinking last night..
What does an image of Mars have to do with the "A" in "APOD"?
I assume you mean because Mars is not a "star", but a planet?
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=astronomy wrote:
astronomy (n.)
c. 1200, "astronomy, astrology, scientific or occult study of heavenly bodies," from Old French astrenomie "astronomy, astrology," from Latin astronomia, from Greek astronomia, abstract noun from astronomos, literally "star-regulating," from astron "star" (from PIE root *ster- (2) "star") + nomos "arranging, regulating; rule, law" (from PIE root *nem- "assign, allot; take"). Perhaps originally with reference to mapping the constellations or movements of planets.
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=planet wrote:
planet (n.)
late Old English planete, in old astronomy, "star other than a fixed star; star revolving in an orbit," from Old French planete (Modern French planète) and directly from Late Latin planeta, from Greek planētēs, from (asteres) planētai "wandering (stars)," from planasthai "to wander," a word of uncertain etymology.

Perhaps it is from a nasalized form of PIE root *pele- (2) "flat; to spread," on the notion of "spread out," "but the semantics are highly problematic," according to Beekes, who notes the similarity of meaning to Greek plazein "to make devious, repel, dissuade from the right path, bewilder," but adds, "it is hard to think of a formal connection."

So called because they have apparent motion, unlike the "fixed" stars. Originally including also the moon and sun but not the Earth; modern scientific sense of "world that orbits a star" is from 1630s in English. The Greek word is an enlarged form of planes, planetos "who wanders around, wanderer," also "wandering star, planet," in medicine "unstable temperature."
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:52 pm

repeated snow storms like this help build lasting glaciers in snowy regions of our planet Earth
Much as they did as recently as 12,000 years ago, when Long Island, where I live, was under a 2 mile high glacier!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Glacial_Period wrote: The Last Glacial Period (LGP), also known colloquially as the Last Ice Age or simply Ice Age,[1] occurred from the end of the Eemian to the end of the Younger Dryas, encompassing the period c. 115,000 – c. 11,700 years ago.]
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18179
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:53 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:48 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:00 pm
shaileshs wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:58 pm Sorry, what's today's APOD got to do with "A" in "APOD" ? :( It happens from time to time, I wonder what the person in-charge of posting APOD was drinking last night..
What does an image of Mars have to do with the "A" in "APOD"?
I assume you mean because Mars is not a "star", but a planet?
You presume correctly.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:58 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:53 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:48 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:00 pm

What does an image of Mars have to do with the "A" in "APOD"?
I assume you mean because Mars is not a "star", but a planet?
You presume correctly.
I suppose we could have a catch-all - SPOD - Science Picture Of the Day, but it seems unnecessary. 😊
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Roy

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by Roy » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:40 pm

“Mostly Cajun” does have a “Today in History” listing of notable events, along with amusing tongue-in-cheek comments. This would probably evoke “FEMA slow to respond. Bush widely blamed.”

Confused
Science Officer
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:50 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by Confused » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:14 am

I missed seeing this one before now but in answer to the question, can another blizzard do this, I have seen other pictures like this of snow that high. And I have seen pictures of water that high, and snow contains less water than liquid water. Therefore even as a science story the picture is not very significant.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:45 pm

Confused wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:14 am I missed seeing this one before now but in answer to the question, can another blizzard do this, I have seen other pictures like this of snow that high. And I have seen pictures of water that high, and snow contains less water than liquid water. Therefore even as a science story the picture is not very significant.
I have seen many pictures of the Moon, and can merely look up in the sky typically 15 days a month and see the Moon with my own eyes. That doesn't mean that APODs of the Moon aren't worth looking at. 😊
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Confused
Science Officer
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:50 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by Confused » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:15 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:45 pm I have seen many pictures of the Moon, and can merely look up in the sky typically 15 days a month and see the Moon with my own eyes. That doesn't mean that APODs of the Moon aren't worth looking at. 😊
I do not understand the relevance of that to what I said except I was commenting on the question can your blizzard do this that is in the first sentence of the original post.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: The Upper Michigan Blizzard of 1938 (2024 Jan 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:57 pm

Confused wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:15 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:45 pm I have seen many pictures of the Moon, and can merely look up in the sky typically 15 days a month and see the Moon with my own eyes. That doesn't mean that APODs of the Moon aren't worth looking at. 😊
I do not understand the relevance of that to what I said except I was commenting on the question can your blizzard do this that is in the first sentence of the original post.
I was commenting mainly on your last sentence. Absent that, I probably would have said nothing.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}