APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse from Sliver to... (2024 May 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 5398
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse from Sliver to... (2024 May 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon May 06, 2024 4:05 am

Image A Total Solar Eclipse from Sliver to Ring

Explanation: This is how the Sun disappeared from the daytime sky last month. The featured time-lapse video was created from stills taken from Mountain View, Arkansas, USA on 2024 April 8. First, a small sliver of a normally spotted Sun went strangely dark. Within a few minutes, much of the background Sun was hidden behind the advancing foreground Moon. Within an hour, the only rays from the Sun passing the Moon appeared like a diamond ring. During totality, most of the surrounding sky went dark, making the bright pink prominences around the Sun's edge stand out, and making the amazing corona appear to spread into the surrounding sky. The central view of the corona shows an accumulation of frames taken during complete totality. As the video ends, just a few minutes later, another diamond ring appeared -- this time on the other side of the Moon. Within the next hour, the sky returned to normal.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Deathfleer

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse from Sliver to... (2024 May 06)

Post by Deathfleer » Mon May 06, 2024 6:18 am

Insane!

Roy

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse from Sliver to... (2024 May 06)

Post by Roy » Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am

Superb. Magnificent. Appropriate music, never heard it before.

Christian G.
Science Officer
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:37 pm

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse from Sliver to... (2024 May 06)

Post by Christian G. » Mon May 06, 2024 12:09 pm

Roy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:40 am Superb. Magnificent. Appropriate music, never heard it before.
The caption credits some guy named Strauss for the music but due credit might belong to someone else.
Who knows, maybe a total eclipse seen sideways looks like this:

sk .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse from Sliver to... (2024 May 06)

Post by johnnydeep » Mon May 06, 2024 6:26 pm

Nice to see the diamonds of the two rings on diametrically opposite sides through the center, as god intended. (Yeah, I know Chris has pointed out that it might not appear like this in other totality locations.)
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

agelagomez2

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse from Sliver to... (2024 May 06)

Post by agelagomez2 » Thu May 09, 2024 8:33 am

johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:26 pm Nice to see the diamonds of the two rings on diametrically opposite sides through the center, as god intended. (Yeah, I know Chris has pointed out that it might not appear like this in other totality locations.) [size=1papa's games[/size]
A total solar eclipse may be both thrilling and incredibly moving. What, nevertheless, triggers a total solar eclipse?

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13476
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse from Sliver to... (2024 May 06)

Post by Ann » Thu May 09, 2024 9:19 am

agelagomez2 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:33 am
johnnydeep wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:26 pm Nice to see the diamonds of the two rings on diametrically opposite sides through the center, as god intended. (Yeah, I know Chris has pointed out that it might not appear like this in other totality locations.) [size=1papa's games[/size]
A total solar eclipse may be both thrilling and incredibly moving. What, nevertheless, triggers a total solar eclipse?
The Moon is seen to move in front of the Sun as seen from some parts of the Earth. The Moon is never seen to cover the entire disk of the Sun from every part of the Earth at once, because the Moon is too small for that.

Check out this video:

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Ann
Color Commentator

Astro_mark
Ensign
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 7:54 am

Re: APOD: A Total Solar Eclipse from Sliver to... (2024 May 06)

Post by Astro_mark » Tue May 14, 2024 7:26 pm

In its simplicity a very informative video....
well simple for those who watch it but certainly not for the author who made it. :D :D :D