APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 5398
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun May 12, 2024 4:05 am

Image Red Aurora over Poland

Explanation: Northern lights don't usually reach this far south. Magnetic chaos in the Sun's huge Active Region 3664, however, produced a surface explosion that sent a burst of electrons, protons, and more massive, charged nuclei into the Solar System. A few days later, that coronal mass ejection (CME) impacted the Earth and triggered auroras that are being reported unusually far from our planet's north and south poles. The free sky show might not be over -- the sunspot rich AR3664 has ejected even more CMEs that might also impact the Earth tonight or tomorrow. That active region is now near the Sun's edge, though, and will soon be rotating away from the Earth. Pictured, a red and rayed aurora was captured in a single 6-second exposure from Racibórz, Poland early last night. The photographer's friend, seeing an aurora for the first time, is visible in the distance also taking images of the beautifully colorful nighttime sky.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Knight of Clear Skies
Ensign
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:02 am

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by Knight of Clear Skies » Sun May 12, 2024 12:48 pm

Amazing display on Friday night from Cornwall in the South-West of the UK. The pillars were bright rapidly changing, in subtle greens, purples and occasionally blue. Didn't know where to look at times, there were some bright transient features due South. Brightest display here for over 20 years I believe.

Managed to take this 1h30min timelapse before my camera battery went dead about 2:00 AM.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Also caught a couple meteors right at the end.
Aurora &amp; Meteor 1.JPG
Btw, does anyone know if it's still possible to embed YouTube videos in posts on this board please? Tried various things with the tag but couldn't get it to work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Knight of Clear Skies on Sun May 12, 2024 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caradon Observatory, Cornwall, UK.

smitty
Science Officer
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:57 am

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by smitty » Sun May 12, 2024 12:55 pm

We had a similar red aurora over Crozet, Virginia, USA on the night of 10/11 May 2024. Very pretty . . . and unusual!

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun May 12, 2024 1:23 pm

Knight of Clear Skies wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:48 pm Amazing display on Friday night from Cornwall in the South-West of the UK. The pillars were bright rapidly changing, in subtle greens, purples and occasionally blue. Didn't know where to look at times, there were some bright transient features due South. Brightest display here for over 20 years I believe.

Managed to take this 1h30min timelapse before my camera battery went dead about 2:00 AM.

https://youtu.be/1MYJhsjX-C4?si=zsBn6ckJw_SLulZa

Also caught a couple meteors right at the end.

Aurora &amp; Meteor 1.JPG

Btw, does anyone know if it's still possible to embed YouTube videos in posts on this board please? Tried various things with the tag but couldn't get it to work.
It works but only if the youtube url is of a specific format, namely like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MYJhsjX-C4

And you need to use the right tags: [youtube][/youtube]

The result looks like so:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Knight of Clear Skies
Ensign
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:02 am

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by Knight of Clear Skies » Sun May 12, 2024 3:41 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:23 pm
The result looks like so:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Thanks johnny, I had to strip a channel parameter off my url in order to get it to work.
Caradon Observatory, Cornwall, UK.

User avatar
VictorBorun
Captain
Posts: 1061
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by VictorBorun » Sun May 12, 2024 3:46 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:23 pm
Knight of Clear Skies wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:48 pm Amazing display on Friday night from Cornwall in the South-West of the UK. The pillars were bright rapidly changing, in subtle greens, purples and occasionally blue. Didn't know where to look at times, there were some bright transient features due South. Brightest display here for over 20 years I believe.

Managed to take this 1h30min timelapse before my camera battery went dead about 2:00 AM.

https://youtu.be/1MYJhsjX-C4?si=zsBn6ckJw_SLulZa

Also caught a couple meteors right at the end.

Aurora &amp; Meteor 1.JPG

Btw, does anyone know if it's still possible to embed YouTube videos in posts on this board please? Tried various things with the tag but couldn't get it to work.
It works but only if the youtube url is of a specific format, namely like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MYJhsjX-C4

And you need to use the right tags: [youtube][/youtube]

The result looks like so:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
I wonder why after I clicked Show in YouTube I was presented with a view defaulted to 480 pixel height video and had to go through options to see 1080 pixel height original video

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun May 12, 2024 3:47 pm

Knight of Clear Skies wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:41 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:23 pm
The result looks like so:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Thanks johnny, I had to strip a channel parameter off my url in order to get it to work.
FYI, this URL also works properly in the [youtube][/youtube] tags: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MYJhsj ... kJw_SLulZa
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun May 12, 2024 3:52 pm

VictorBorun wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:46 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:23 pm
Knight of Clear Skies wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:48 pm Amazing display on Friday night from Cornwall in the South-West of the UK. The pillars were bright rapidly changing, in subtle greens, purples and occasionally blue. Didn't know where to look at times, there were some bright transient features due South. Brightest display here for over 20 years I believe.

Managed to take this 1h30min timelapse before my camera battery went dead about 2:00 AM.

https://youtu.be/1MYJhsjX-C4?si=zsBn6ckJw_SLulZa

Also caught a couple meteors right at the end.

Aurora &amp; Meteor 1.JPG

Btw, does anyone know if it's still possible to embed YouTube videos in posts on this board please? Tried various things with the tag but couldn't get it to work.
It works but only if the youtube url is of a specific format, namely like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MYJhsjX-C4

And you need to use the right tags: [youtube][/youtube]

The result looks like so:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
I wonder why after I clicked Show in YouTube I was presented with a view defaulted to 480 pixel height video and had to go through options to see 1080 pixel height original video
Hmm, I get a 720p (1024x720) video resolution when I click on the link. I would think the default resolution is set by the video author, but I don't know why, if that was true, you and I would experience different results.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 18260
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun May 12, 2024 4:27 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:52 pm
VictorBorun wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:46 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:23 pm

It works but only if the youtube url is of a specific format, namely like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MYJhsjX-C4

And you need to use the right tags: [youtube][/youtube]

The result looks like so:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
I wonder why after I clicked Show in YouTube I was presented with a view defaulted to 480 pixel height video and had to go through options to see 1080 pixel height original video
Hmm, I get a 720p (1024x720) video resolution when I click on the link. I would think the default resolution is set by the video author, but I don't know why, if that was true, you and I would experience different results.
I think it's determined by some combination of viewer preferences (depending on cookies and Google account setup) and some automatics that try to assess the connection quality.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commodore
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun May 12, 2024 4:58 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:27 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:52 pm
VictorBorun wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:46 pm
I wonder why after I clicked Show in YouTube I was presented with a view defaulted to 480 pixel height video and had to go through options to see 1080 pixel height original video
Hmm, I get a 720p (1024x720) video resolution when I click on the link. I would think the default resolution is set by the video author, but I don't know why, if that was true, you and I would experience different results.
I think it's determined by some combination of viewer preferences (depending on cookies and Google account setup) and some automatics that try to assess the connection quality.
Ah, yes, the connection quality must be a part of the calculation. Makes sense in order to provide a better default, non-laggy, user experience.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Avalon

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by Avalon » Mon May 13, 2024 3:32 am

Are there any photos of the recent auroras taken from space, perhaps from aboard the ISS?

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13476
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by Ann » Mon May 13, 2024 7:24 am


It is partly a magenta aurora. That means that we are seeing ionized nitrogen, which comes in both red and blue colors. Obviously we are seeing the ordinary red aurora from atomic oxygen at 630 nm, too. But it takes more energy to ionize a magenta aurora, which is what we are seeing here.


Ann
Color Commentator

Astro_mark
Ensign
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 13, 2024 7:54 am

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by Astro_mark » Mon May 13, 2024 12:33 pm

Really endearing image!!!
According to the emission spectrum, a modified machine should allow to capture more details around the blue mainly.

Knight of Clear Skies
Ensign
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:02 am

Re: APOD: Red Aurora over Poland (2024 May 12)

Post by Knight of Clear Skies » Mon May 13, 2024 12:36 pm

On Friday at times I also saw blue aurora, both in images and with the naked eye. I think it takes more energy to excite nitrogen atoms enough to produce the blue color as its a higher wavelength. Mostly I saw magenta (blue + red). I suspect the blue colour is caused when a particularly energetic stream of particles hits the atmosphere but I'm not quite sure how the physics works out. Might be to do with the average energy of the incoming particles, that it excites most of the target molecules to the higher state (producing blue when they step back down) without exciting many to the lower state (producing little red).
Caradon Observatory, Cornwall, UK.