Poll on APOD?

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.

What APOD picture subject do you like best?

Poll ended at Tue May 31, 2005 4:25 am

Outer space (beyond our Galaxy)
29%
Stars, clusters, novas
7%
Solar system (except Earth and Moon)
50%
Lunar and sublunar views from space
No votes
Terrestrial landscapes with unusual/awesome features
7%
Astronomical hardware, rocketry, etc.
7%

Total votes: 14

Axel
Ensign

Poll on APOD?

Post by Axel » Sun May 01, 2005 4:25 am

Has there been a poll about APOD viewer preferences? This one might be useful to the people who graciously bring us a picture a day (of course they have to keep in mind that there are many, many more viewers than forum members).
Oh... and the moderators should be able to modify the poll if they think they can improve the layout of options.

Dan Cordell
Ensign

Post by Dan Cordell » Thu May 05, 2005 6:27 pm

I had trouble deciding between the top three, but I chose solar system objects simply because I love picture of Mars.
Dan Cordell, Giant Space Cow

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Fri May 06, 2005 10:33 am

Dan Cordell wrote:I had trouble deciding between the top three, but I chose solar system objects simply because I love picture of Mars.
I thought this was interesting:

crosscountry
Ensign

Post by crosscountry » Fri May 06, 2005 12:29 pm

that's the great part of APOD, it shows all of those.

I admit I find the deep space photos and the solar systems photos most interesting, but every day I learn something.

unless that is of course the photo is a rerun.

but that's good for new APOD watchers.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Mon May 09, 2005 10:38 am

crosscountry wrote:that's the great part of APOD, it shows all of those.
Agreed. I don't think I can really choose one subject over any other.

I think APOD has always had a good mix of beauty and science. Both are important. IMO: on one hand, our lives are enriched by the deepening of total human knowlege. But at the same time it is important to take a moment to appriciate how beautiful and truly astounding the universe is.

Of course, this is coming from a guy who simply cannot walk around outside at night without look up...

Axel
Ensign

Almost sorry

Post by Axel » Mon May 09, 2005 4:43 pm

I am almost sorry I posted this poll, especially since the low turnout ensures it won't be very useful. Also it may be too hard to choose. While I generally prefer deep sky images, and so cast my own vote accordingly, my single most adored picture of all APODs was this spectacular Earthscape:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020121.html

On the other hand I'm not very fond of the hardware pictures. What am I supposed to get from a view of the latest neutrino collector?

Kevin7276
Asternaut

Hello I'm New

Post by Kevin7276 » Fri May 27, 2005 1:07 pm

This question would be easier for me if we could view more planets or had more information on the planets that we do know about. Stars are very intriguing but I do not believe anything could live on or in one though I could be wrong. Terrestrial landscapes with unusual or awesome features is what I chose because life on other planets is what keeps me looking toward the night sky. Though I do like to think about stars, gravity, masses at high speeds, and just the general vastness of the oddities in space so you could defiantly say I had a hard time answering.

StACase
Science Officer

Post by StACase » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:44 am

Views of star fields, especially x-ray and other specialized images are the ones that I usually pass over. Detailed views of the unusual like the volcano with an aurora or the Martian landscape hold my attention.