Face on Mars, Cydonia - Mars Express (APOD 25, 26 Sep 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
craterchains
Commander

Face on Mars, Cydonia - Mars Express (APOD 25, 26 Sep 2006)

Post by craterchains » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:35 pm

, , , who ever wrote this is pathetic, at best. :roll:

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:44 pm

Thank You very much "G Neukum from FU Berlin" for your insult to intelligence.

Tic Toc

astro_uk
Science Officer

Post by astro_uk » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:04 pm

A bit childish perhaps, but the sentiment seems good.

Vicki
Asternaut

Post by Vicki » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:46 pm

Part of APOD's purpose is public outreach, and that includes people who didn't take astronomy in college, and who don't know that the human brain is such a good pattern-recognizing organ that it will find patterns that aren't there.

If none of your friends, relatives, or co-workers talks about things like the supposed "face" in Cydonia as being deep and meaningful, evidence either of intelligent life on Mars or of humanity's importance in the universe/God's plan, good. That doesn't mean such ideas aren't out there, or that more accurate pictures showing that no, it's just a rock, aren't useful.

[If you're concerned that it told the world about this forum, I hope to be a good if infrequent contributor.]
Vicki Rosenzweig
vr@redbird.org

astro_uk
Science Officer

Post by astro_uk » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:08 pm

Hi Vicki, welcome

The funny thing is, craterchains and FieryIce, are in the aliens are here camp. :lol:

Check out some of the threads about crater formation they have started.

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:10 pm

craterchians and Fieryice,
You supercilious snobs.
Have you no romance in your dried up little souls, when you can only see war and weapons in the wonder (enough alliteration! Ed.) of what we can watch (Enough already!) in the Universe?
If you bothered to use some of the links that Prof.Neukem provided you would have found something that suits your own distorted view of cosmology better that you might have hoped, as well as websites that illustrate Vicki's view. (Don't you dare. Ed.)

As if you didn't know, or could have found out by a moments Googling as I have done, Prof. Dr. G. Neukum of the Freie Universität Berlin is the Principal Investigator of the German High Resolution Stereo Camera experiment on the Mars Express probe.
Match that for achievement - you can't, can you?

Small minded, small acheivers, probably small [edited - Ed.]

John

Wadsworth
Science Officer

Post by Wadsworth » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:04 pm

astro_uk wrote:Hi Vicki, welcome

The funny thing is, craterchains and FieryIce, are in the aliens are here camp. :lol:
Yes welcome Vicki!!

As Astro stated, Craterchains and FieryIce are most likely upset about today's APOD because it is a direct, in your face, attack on their unusual beliefs. That is to say they were probably offended and truly believed that the face on mars was indeed some sort of designed structure.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:54 am

uh huh, , , :roll:

And, thank you all for the warmest remarks.

Welcome to the forum Vicki, I am sure you will fit right in, here. :D

But, there are some great remarks that could be said about that APOD write up. Like Root beer smelling laundry? uhmmm was that dirty laundry, or clean? :shock:

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

chiaroscuro
Asternaut

Post by chiaroscuro » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:04 am

Hiya all, another new member here.

I love APOD - it's the first site I look at every day - and I have saved many to use for wallpaper on my desktop. I'm not an astronomer, and don't even own a telescope because I've always lived in areas where it's too light polluted to use one to any degree.

I saw the original picture of the "face on Mars" in the '70's, and was fascinated. Being a sci-fi fan, it sent all kind of ideas through my feeble brain "wow - could it be a ..." I even bought the book by Hoagland that came out shortly thereafter, and was disappointed by his ridiculous ideas. Too bad he got fame and fortune from spewing that BS.

But the thing was, it REALLY looked like a face in those early pix - this can't be denied. I like to keep an open mind about these things, so I didn't discount the fact that it may be a monument (I want to believe, like in the X-files), but also realized that it could have been a matter of "light and shadow".

Well Kudos to ESA for clearing this up, although I may be a little disappointed... But there are plenty more really amazing photos on APOD to keep me in wonder.

Well there are many threads to explore here, and I hope I can contribute to some in the future.

jim

PS - I wonder if G. Neukum's nickname is "DUKE"?

sgwmunro
Asternaut

Face on Mars (APOD 25, 26 Sep 2006)

Post by sgwmunro » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:36 am

Is it just me or does anyone else see a skull immediately to the left of the face?

andyrint
Ensign

Post by andyrint » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:58 am

Absolutely!

Conclusive evidence of life on mars! :lol:

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:27 pm

andyrint wrote:Absolutely!

Conclusive evidence of life on mars! :lol:
A skull? Life on Mars?

Obviously it looks more like destruction and death. :shock:

Norval

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:09 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060926.html

It is indeed an awesome sight with all the unusual shaped mesas. The one almost looks like a pyramid. :)
Orin

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:49 pm

Crater,
Here is a great view of the skull from the mouth up
http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/mar ... onia_H.jpg

(If you compare the size of the "Skull" to the size of the "Face", It appears that the dimensions between eyes, nose, and mouth are similar. The cranial regions are different though)

Martin
Science Officer

Post by Martin » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:10 pm

Wadsworth
Science Officer

Post by Wadsworth » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:37 pm

chiaroscuro wrote:
PS - I wonder if G. Neukum's nickname is "DUKE"?
Ha! didn't even think of that.. Maybe he's Duke the 3rd.

Welcome.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:16 pm

Welcome Jim and Vicki; There are a lot of things on Mars that can make the mind wander. I too was intrigued by the face on Mars.
Orin

Cruncher
Asternaut

Post by Cruncher » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:20 pm

I wonder why people are still discussing about this.
These new images finally prove it: The Cydonia Face is a real alien artifact - which has eroded over the millenia to the point where it's barely recognizable as the face it once was :D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Re: APOD for September 25, 2006 is, , ,

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:20 am

craterchains wrote:, , , who ever wrote this is pathetic, at best. :roll:

Norval
Pathetic is a qualitative term, if you must criticize on this form please do it quantitatively. If you believe that it is more than a natural feature, post scientific evidence pertaining to your proof. Maybe other cultural artifacts at the site, or a direct connection to another find.
If your arguments are simple pontifications supporting an allegory as a product of an overly inventive imagination, I have some nice Doctor friends in white coats that would like you to lie on a plush leather sofa and have a pleasant talk with them.
Speculation ≠ Science

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:22 am

FieryIce wrote:Thank You very much "G Neukum from FU Berlin" for your insult to intelligence.
Right back atcha babe!
Speculation ≠ Science

Curtly
Asternaut

Mars Express: Return to Cydonia (APOD 26 Sep 2006)

Post by Curtly » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:37 am

from the bottom left corner, look two thirds to the right and then one quater of the way up. Tilt your head to the right. Is that not a skull?

C

andyrint
Ensign

Post by andyrint » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:53 am

Has anyone else noticed that all the other mesas have very irregular shapes but 'the face' has 4 straight (ish) sides with rounded corners?

Chance????

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:49 pm

:roll:

Norval

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Curtly,
In this thread http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... php?t=8260 I linked to this image http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/mar ... onia_H.jpg of the skull feature. I find it interesting that the facial dimensions of the "Skull" feature are extremely similarly sized to the "Face" dimensions. (distances between and from Eyes, Nose, and Mouth/chin)

dpiddy
Asternaut

Post by dpiddy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:41 pm

I also see a skull, a bird, an Indian arrow head, a squashed bug, and a starfish. Chance?