APODS Images of Crater Chains, Thank You

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:49 pm

APOD opened on the web June 16, 1995. The following month on July 13, 1995 the APOD image was "A String OF Pearls" showing the broken up comet SL9. The very next day the image was of the comet fragments hitting Jupiter, APOD July 14, 1995 Comet Impacts on Jupiter. Then on the following day, The Crater Chain APOD on July 15, 1995 (Photo from 1979). The next APOD of a crater chain is this one of December 9, 1997 - Mysterious Features on Ganymede (Photo from September 6, 1996). Then a year later this one, APOD: August 5, 1998 - Ganymede: Torn Comet Crater Chain (Photo from April 5, 1997). In total APOD has shown three different crater chains from two moons of Jupiter. Unfortunately, many of those links on the APOD pages are now broken.

July 13 1995: A String Of Pearls
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap950713.html

July 14 1995: Comet Impacts on Jupiter
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap950714.html

July 15 1995: The Crater Chain (Photo from 1979)
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap950715.html

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/images/callisto1.jpg
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/images/callisto.html

All though it is stated that scientists were at a loss to explain these chains of craters for fifteen years that appeared in the Calisto photos, and many others, they were at a loss to explain them for far, far longer.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/hires/lo4_h108_2.gif

This photo taken by Lunar Orbiter 4 on May 18, 1967 of a crater chain on our moon, and is but one of the 20 plus crater chains on our moon. More than 25 years before SL9 gave it's demonstration of a true rubble pile break up.

http://www.lpod.org/LPOD-2004-07-14.htm

This photo is of the Davy Y crater chain on our moon, taken from earth, rivals the images of it that astronauts took. These crater chains have thus far puzzled scientists and astronomers at least from the 1920's because they had good enough telescopes back then, and today's amateurs can get images like this.

On April 22, 2002 Gale Smart (FieryIce) posted the url of the thirteen strike crater chain from APOD: 2001 December 15 at a forum we were posting at, and asked what were the mathematical odds of that? And thus was my introduction to crater chains.

Thank you so very much APOD.
Norval and Gale (FieryIce)
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:05 am

Nice photo createrchains
Very Interesting
Harry : Smile and live another day.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:30 am

Yes Harry, not too bad huh?

Norval :D
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:23 am

Since the previous history, prior to 1994, about images of crater chains is rather short. They are mostly mentioned in University level publications of astronomy, what few mentions there are. Also there was this article in The National Geographic Magazine, titled “Galileo Mission”, September 1999, page 138. There are pictures from our moon dating from the 1960's of crater chains. So, we know that we were aware of them prior to 1979 when that shot of the Calisto crater chain came in. There is evidence that astronomers were aware of crater chains on our moon prior to the 1950's. Our earliest known photo of a crater chain is from lunar orbiter 4 of May 18, 1967, 12 years prior to 1979, and thus it is actually 27 years scientists have puzzled over these CS types of crater chains prior to the SL9 evidence of a rubble pile / tidally disrupted body breaking up.

The recent history of crater chain picture discovery has been from the Saturn system of orbital bodies via the Cassini orbiter. But since scientists believe and state that hunks of rock and ice made these concise and systematic crater chains, they are now referred to as lineal features.

Yet there are other ideas, or theory's, on how these CS types of crater chains may have formed. Some seem to think that they are caused by electrical arcs, like huge lightening strikes.

Given their concise and systematic appearance, these crater chains numbering in the hundreds on the surface of Mars alone may tell a different story about our solar system. There are these CS types of crater chains before, and after some of the major flooding that has happened on Mars.

I think crater chain research should continue, and probably does by some, but our research of them is over. That any crater chain of these concise and systematic types to form is admitted by all to be next to impossible in probability. There for why do we see hundreds of them in our solar system?

Norval

S. Bilderback
Science Officer

Post by S. Bilderback » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:01 am

CS types of crater chains
You'll have to get me up to speed here, what does the CS refer to?
The more I learn, the more I know what I don't know.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:26 pm

CS stands for Concise and Systematic.

Norval

S. Bilderback
Science Officer

Post by S. Bilderback » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:51 pm

The more I learn, the more I know what I don't know.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:37 pm

I won't ever forget the string of pearls.

It showed that a broken up hunk of space junk could form a CS type of crater chain, NOT. Never in a million years.
:?
So how did all these Concise and Systematic lines of crater chains form? But then that is not a politically correct question now is it? :oops:

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:11 pm

An estimated line of best fit and an estimated respresentation of earth in that picture of the string of pearls, the only crater chain that would result would be 'the Other Theory' rubble pile not a Concise and Systematic line of craters.
Tic Toc

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:00 pm

I would imagine that this would be true of any object that broke-up on one orbit then struck on the next, but not for the object that broke up upon entry into the atmosphere.

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:08 pm

The same would apply, upon entry and break up in the atmosphere; there would be a scattering of fragments in varying sizes, still not Concise and Systematic line of craters.
Tic Toc

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:24 pm

Good bye APOD

Information acquisition and control is what this forum is about.

Shakes the dust from his sandals and walks out.

Take your pictures of our war torn solar system and stick them where the sun don't shine!

Norval

kovil
Science Officer

the voodoo of the hoodoo

Post by kovil » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:47 pm

Craterchains,

'Tis disappointing to read how you feel persecuted and maligned by your theory being not taken seriously.

In looking at the pictures, it seems logical to me that a comet like the one the Japanese landed their probe upon, would easily disassociate and make a line of craters on impacting a planet or moon.

In pursuit of a theory of interstellar war remanents, we might do our homework by calculating the energy or mass necessary for creation of the craters observed.

Based on a reasonable speed of arrival, within a range, what would make an estimated fit to what is observed.

I for one see little problem with one body arriving in pieces to make a series of craters with small time separations to their arrival times, and leaving a trail of craters.

A machine gun on a spaceship who missed their pursuing target that was trying to land, might make a similar artifact, but what are they shooting, and is there any indication of what was shot.

What amount of kinetic energy would make the observed formations.

My uncommon sense says material objects arriving with normal gravitational attraction explains things reasonably well enough, for now.
When we get there later on, and do some digging and material analysis on a molecular level, perhaps we can tell if it was an energy weapon discharge impact , or just an extra-body material incoming impact, series of events.

FieryIce
Science Officer

Post by FieryIce » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:59 pm

kovil, your "uncommon sense" is very prevalent with that group following each other off the cliff edge because some scientist a century or two ago said so.

Go for it kovil, as for me, I am outta here.

tic toc
Tic Toc

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:44 pm

Hello Kovil.

Smile,,,,,,,,,,,,your statement is a little off.

Does not matter. Just keep moving forward.

You said
"I for one see little problem with one body arriving in pieces to make a series of craters with small time separations to their arrival times, and leaving a trail of craters"

Why do you see a problem?

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:01 pm

Hello Kovil and Harry,

A small meteor or a comet or an asteroid disintegrates when it comes closer to a gravitational body like a planet or a moon. This happens due to the tidal force.

As the body accelerates downward, each component of the body wants to progress towards the center of the body it is falling up on. Depending upon the size & shape ( ie length wise fall or width wise fall) of the falling body, its position at the time it feels the acceleration or tidal force. It also depends on how massive the recipient body is? Such as the Jupiter might disintegrate pieces of the falling body and disperse them (in a line or closer) at a greater distance than the moon. Hence, the crater chains.

The reason why we don't find craters or crater chains on earth is because the earth is an eroding body, with many eroding agents at work.

Before, one can hypothesize alien or solar war analogies; one needs to have a clear, very clear, very very clear evidence in support. You can't just go on building conspiracy theories because, you have an evidence that you like and for the next you assume that the government is hiding something.
The Universe Is What You Think It Is. Every Thought Ever Thought Is True.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:26 pm

Thank you astroton

As for features on earth, its worth looking into.

There maybe some.

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:34 am

Harrs,

The earth is not completely devoid of craters. But, most prehostoric craters have been eroded.

http://www.unb.ca/passc/ImpactDatabase/austr.html

http://www.somerikko.net/old/geo/imp/impacts.htm
The Universe Is What You Think It Is. Every Thought Ever Thought Is True.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:23 am

Hello Astroton

Wow!! mate,,,,,,,,loved those links
My kids loved them also.

That's mate

Although studies have been made. A third eye should oversee the data and look for a possible chain.

Just a thought

Again thanks