STS-115: (proper!) Stereo Portrait (APOD 30 Sep 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Andy Wade
Science Officer

STS-115: (proper!) Stereo Portrait (APOD 30 Sep 2006)

Post by Andy Wade » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:33 am

Another great anaglyph picture from APOD.
My 'Shark Boy' glasses are working well! (Got them off Ebay)
I can see what appears to be two small 'imperfections' in this picture and wondered if anyone could hazard a guess as to what they might be?
They both appear in the area of the visor, there's an upside down U shape just below and to the left of the reflected sun, and a short line just to the left of the reflected astronaut.
I don't expect there would be any 'dust' flying around and it's doubtful if there's anything on the inside of the visor, so are they photographic artefacts?
Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,
Andy.
Regards,
Andy.

Phragmites
Asternaut

Proper stereo images please! ..-)

Post by Phragmites » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:08 pm

i dont know if those who run apod read this forum, but i'd like to request that stereo images are presented as two separate left eye/right eye full colour images rather than the red/green stereo glasses versions. the full, separate versions are easy to use (just cross your eyes and relax - they come into focus) and have a big advantage over red/green images in that the full colour spectrum of the original images is preserved and therefore the final image you see is much, much more realistic.

i love apod and visit it every day, so would love to see some of the stereo images looking the best that they can.

P

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:39 pm

, , , and I have to agreee.

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:31 pm

There used to be a 3d technique that utilized polarized light and polarized lenses to view the 2 different images. I remember getting the "Dark Glasses" 3d glasses at a movie in the 80's. Although the Red - Blue glasses are easier to come by on the general market, and the images can still be reasonably presented in color, The polarized version might be better.

If I recall properly, I saw JAWS 3D in color through polarized lenses.

Phragmites
Asternaut

Post by Phragmites » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:10 pm

heh... yeah, i remember a film called Parasite, i think. god, that was ages ago, which was 3d. must have been polarised glasses too.

still, im used to the cross-eyed thing. i remember my university biochem textbooks using that technique to show proteins in 3d.

P

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:57 pm

Probably picture artifacts, or art facts added. :roll:

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

ckam
Science Officer

Post by ckam » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:56 am

your way has a problem that I haven't yet seen anyone who can superpose images that are more than 9cm apart. this has to do with distance between your eyes.

than, it should not be that hard to write a program to recreate two frames if you have non-stereo colored version of image. in YUV space, you can simply adjust R and B for Ys and UV from colored version.

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Headaches and stereo images

Post by Andy Wade » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:09 am

ckam wrote:your way has a problem that I haven't yet seen anyone who can superpose images that are more than 9cm apart. this has to do with distance between your eyes.
And it also gives me a bloomin' headache too, what with all that eye crossing. I can do it, but it's not my favourite way of viewing.
Horses for courses.

Plus I do look raaaather good in the 'Shark Boy' glasses. :lol:
Regards,
Andy.