Opportunity's Location (APOD 9 Oct 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
smitty
Science Officer

Opportunity's Location (APOD 9 Oct 2006)

Post by smitty » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:50 am

I was hoping we'd have an APOD like the one today (10/9/06) showing Opportunity from above, but was hoping there would be an annotation pointing out the location of Cape Verde and Duck Bay on the inset showing the whole Victoria Crater. Still a little difficult for me to get oriented. Maybe next time. Anyway, thanks!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:04 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061009.html

I think if you click on the picture to get the high resolution; then the inset disappears and you can see the edge of Victoria crater.

Orin

smitty
Science Officer

Post by smitty » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:25 pm

Yes, I saw that, but what I mean is that I'm not clear where the Opportunity is relative to the whole Victoria Crater; for example, is it at the six oclock position, the three oclock position, or what? An annotation on the image showing the whole of the crater would be helpful.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:52 pm

I'M not sure of what you mean for sure. On the photo you can see Opportunity at 4 o'clock and away from Victoria Crater and closer to and toward Cape Verde. Hope this helps! You can actually see the rover in the photo.
Orin

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:58 pm

I see it, I see it, I do really see it. :?

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:01 pm

The opportunity image and the Victoria insert are in identical orientation.
Duck bay is the feature directly below the rover and is the largest "Bay" feature in the inset. Both pointing in the same direction.

Try this image of Victoria
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... ot_br2.jpg
:D

JP22
Asternaut

Victoria Crater seeing double

Post by JP22 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:21 pm

I hate for my 1st post to be a really dumb question; but here goes. I look at the picture of Victoria Crater and I see two pictures, the Crater and an insert. The crater picture shows two distinct set of rover tracks leading up to it. From just looking at the picture I would assume there are two rovers at the crater, which I know is not true. If there is a second insert of a magnified portion of the rover approach to the crater, I can not see it. What am I missing here ??

jp

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:21 pm

If you look really close; you can see where Opportunity's tracks went from Victoria crater to Duck Bay and then on to where it is now on the photo heading out toward Cape Verde. You may have to enhance the photo.
Orin

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:42 pm

Jp22

In this image http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... ro_big.jpg there are 2 sets of labels denoting "Rover Tracks". The lower label is noting the rover's path taken to the crater. From it's closest point to the crater, Opportunity turned around and backtracked about 5 feet then turned NW and followed around the top portion of the Duck Bay feature. It traversed about 40' or so then gradually turned north. At a point that is approximately where the western (left side) arrow noting "Rover Tracks" near the top of the picture lies, the rover turned back towards the "Cape Verde" feature and traveled parallel to its orinigal path to where it sits now. The Path, if you look closely at the enlargement, is in the shape of a "Z".

JP22
Asternaut

Rover tracks

Post by JP22 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:35 pm

Now that you point it out I can see the "Z" pattern to the rover tracks. Before, all I could see were rover tracks that appeared to both start off to the left of the picture and converge on the carter.

Thanks

jp

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:25 pm

This is an impressive view of the crater. http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... -annot.jpg It comes from here: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... 1006a.html which has many large images. I think that MRO will become Rovers best friend. just look at all the 1' size rock targets visible in and around the crater.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:32 am

Yea they will have to be weary of shadows. (Shadows = No solar energy)
Though the cliffs causing the shadow would be a treasure trove of sorts. I would vote to go counterclockwise and investigate "Sputnik" first. It is that tiny crater next to thr "D" in "Duck Bay". Then continue on to the next crater at the 5:00 position. Then if the footing isn't too steep there, I might enter there and see if I could traverse clockwise inside the crater back to Duck Bay.

smitty
Science Officer

Post by smitty » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:36 am

BMAONE23 wrote:The opportunity image and the Victoria insert are in identical orientation.
Duck bay is the feature directly below the rover and is the largest "Bay" feature in the inset. Both pointing in the same direction.

Try this image of Victoria
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ ... ot_br2.jpg
:D
Yes, thanks, BMAONE23! That's exactly the picture (and annotations) I needed!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:02 pm

You're welcome smitty