Earthrise -- a beautiful companion

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
planetquinn
Ensign

Earthrise -- a beautiful companion

Post by planetquinn » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:49 pm

As powerful and alluring as the moon has been to life on earth, imagine having a celestial companion as beautiful as Earth. The attraction would be irresistable--far greater than the attraction that took us to the moon.

Bill
Asternaut

Re: Earthrise -- a beautiful companion

Post by Bill » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:24 pm

[quote="planetquinn"]As powerful and alluring as the moon has been to life on earth, imagine having a celestial companion as beautiful as Earth. The attraction would be irresistable--far greater than the attraction that took us to the moon.[/quote] Right, but the "attraction" that took us to the moon in 1968+ was more of a REPULSION or earth oriented motivation---JFK's lunar landing program to show the US citizens , and the rest of the World, that the US was not second rate to the Soviets. Unfortunately for NASA and explorers, that "attraction" dosen't exist today.[quote][/quote]

planetquinn
Ensign

Post by planetquinn » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:21 pm

Hey William,
Come on, it’s Christmas. Don’t spoil it for me. Seriously though, I had been thinking about how much of scientific knowledge and technical accomplishment has been the result of war and competitions for dominance. I was almost happy there for a minute thinking that at least some of the great adventures of discovery were not part of a war. Prince Henry and all that. Oh well.
But still, I can’t get all those great song lyrics about la luna out of my head. Suppose she was a blue-green gem 5 times bigger than the gray rock that has inspired our poets so.

Bill
Asternaut

Post by Bill » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:04 pm

[quote="planetquinn"]Hey William,
Come on, it’s Christmas. Don’t spoil it for me. Seriously though, I had been thinking about how much of scientific knowledge and technical accomplishment has been the result of war and competitions for dominance. I was almost happy there for a minute thinking that at least some of the great adventures of discovery were not part of a war. Prince Henry and all that. Oh well.
But still, I can’t get all those great song lyrics about la luna out of my head. Suppose she was a blue-green gem 5 times bigger than the gray rock that has inspired our poets so.[/quote]
Sorry PQ but facts is facts. My guess is that even prince Henry wasn't above making a few land grabs inroute. Check out our web site for more info.

Empeda2
Science Officer

Post by Empeda2 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:20 pm

So get my mischievous head on......what do you guys say to the people who claim that the landings were faked?...... :( I would think that 'Earthwise' would be a good argument against that....
The Artist Formerly Known as Empeda

planetquinn
Ensign

conspiracy

Post by planetquinn » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:41 pm

I don’t have much to say to them because I’m pretty sure that my say-so won’t change their thinking. But your question raises another: what information do we accept as reliable? For me, an important factor is evidence of a pattern. So, I might start by asking, “do you think the entire space program was faked, or just the moon landings?” Then there’s the problem of keeping anything a secret. How many people would have to be in on the fakery, and what’s the likelihood of them all keeping quiet. About conspiracy theories in general: They attribute qualities and abilities to the conspirators that are just not realistic. And by doing so, they ignore the extraordinary accomplishments of real people such as Bill.

Empeda2
Science Officer

Re: conspiracy

Post by Empeda2 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:24 pm

planetquinn wrote:And by doing so, they ignore the extraordinary accomplishments of real people such as Bill.
I second that. :)

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:33 pm

Here is a great one for the hoaxers
http://www.gaiaguys.net/moontruth.htm

click on the "Look at this" link

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:40 am

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/NOT_faked/
I for one don't believe the mission was faked. I remember when the Eagle had landed and the pictures that followed. I remember Niel romping over the Lunar surface. The way he bounced with each step could not be faked.
Orin

Empeda2
Science Officer

Post by Empeda2 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:30 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:Here is a great one for the hoaxers
http://www.gaiaguys.net/moontruth.htm

click on the "Look at this" link
That doesn't even sound anything like Armstrong!

Very funny though... :lol:

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:02 pm

I agree. Nothing like Armstromg. I to believe we have been there. The point is, as long as Hollywood can "Fake-it" for the sake of movies, there will be people that do not believe because "it" can be faked.