Quantum Theory

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Em
Ensign

Quantum Theory

Post by Em » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:32 pm

Can someone please explain to me in very simple terms the quantum theory.

Thanks,

Em

Empeda2
Science Officer

Post by Empeda2 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:43 pm

If I could Em I'd be a millionaire!!

Unfortunately - it's incredibly complicated and if you read about it and, to quote my ex university professor, "if it makes any sense then you have completely missed the point..."

It's [very very basically!] based on two things.
WAVE/PARTICLE DUALITY
This is the theory that things aren't split into particles and waves - everything is actually a particle AND a wave, and therefore exhibits particle and wave-like properties. Normal everyday objects are so large that the wave-bit is unnoticible, and things like the photons of light are so small that we see them as waves.

QUANTA (ENERGY LEVELS).
It was believed that electrons could orbit an atom nucleaus at any distance from it - but it turns out that in can't. It's can only orbit at certain particular distances, or energy levels. The energy is 'quantised' which is where the quantum bit comes from.

It's all based on ridiculously complicated maths that I don't have enough natural life to appreciate properly!

Try here - they explain it all in reasonably simple terms - it's all split into the relevent sections - important ones are probably PLanck and Schrodinger.
http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Physics-Max-Planck.htm
The Artist Formerly Known as Empeda

planetquinn
Ensign

Post by planetquinn » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:07 pm

I hit the wrong button and posted my answer as a new topic--“understanding” quantum theory. where’s the undo button in life?
Pardon my ineptitude.

Empeda2
Science Officer

Post by Empeda2 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:01 pm

planetquinn wrote:Nice job, Empeda 2. I’m glad your answer appears first instead of one that begins, “It’s simple, really...”
I’ve seen too many “explanations” that only serve to show what a tenuous grasp the writer has on the subject. There was recently a silly movie with a silly title that I forget, which purported to unify Quantum theory and New Age voodoo. It reminds me of all the misunderstandings and misapplications of Evolution that have come along. Somebody smart said of Evolution, “everybody thinks they understand it, but nobody does.

Empeda2
Science Officer

Post by Empeda2 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:03 pm

Very true planetquinn - it like those who dismiss evolution as there simply hasn't been enough time to create our complexity - they obviously have never tried to count to a billion....

All good arguments consider other viewpoints - and also pose questions and predictions - they never produce total results :wink:

ta152h0
Schooled

Re: Quantum Theory

Post by ta152h0 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:52 pm

[quote="Em"]Can someone please explain to me in very simple terms the quantum theory.

Thanks,

It is the study of particle motion ( like subatomic level ) Newtonian physics studies how substances interact ( like what happens when you hit an apple with a baseball bat ) :)
Wolf Kotenberg

Em
Ensign

Post by Em » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:27 am

Thank you for all your replies, i don't feel as stupid now :D .

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:54 am

Hello Em

Look at the link for further understanding of Qantum Physics (Mechanics)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... tml#quacon

Have nice day
Harry : Smile and live another day.

Em
Ensign

Post by Em » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:36 am

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the link, yours too Empeda2, I am in the middle of reading a book on hyperspace and both of your links have made my reading easier to understand.

Hope you're both having a good day!!

Em