Nice spacewalk pic (APOD 25 Dec 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Grasshopper
Asternaut

Nice spacewalk pic (APOD 25 Dec 2006)

Post by Grasshopper » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:54 pm

Nice spacewalk pic.

Anyone have any ideas what part of the world is in the shot? I see the land and the clouds and the hills and I see a fantasy novel. :)

Bob Stothfang
Asternaut

Post by Bob Stothfang » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:30 pm

I was wondering the same thing, then I started poking around in the links below the photo. Here is the relevant link:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/ima ... 05983.html

I always play this "where are they" game with any of these space shots, but this one made me look it up, then it was one of those "now I recognize it" moments.[/url]

Richard Fredrick
Asternaut

Post by Richard Fredrick » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:36 pm

I had to follow the link also; what a stunning backdrop!

Back in the "good old days," the NASA channel would re-run clips from previous shuttle flights for hours and hours. Some people were bored to tears; I couldn't get enough of it. Lightning from space is really cool, as are meteors and the aurora. And it was all a tremendous geography lesson.
Sincerely,

Richard Fredrick

John Newstead
Asternaut

Post by John Newstead » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:37 pm

The location of the picture for 25 December 2006 is Cook Straight between the two main islands of New Zealand.

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Post by Andy Wade » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:52 am

Yeah. What a great job.
Missed my vocation there!
Andy. (Plasterer) :lol:
Regards,
Andy.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:46 am

It is a terrific picture. Would be great to be up there! :)

Interesting point Andy. I wonder if it is possible to apply plaster out there (or even in zero gravity) and would it take?

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Post by Andy Wade » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:55 pm

DavidLeeds wrote:It is a terrific picture. Would be great to be up there! :)

Interesting point Andy. I wonder if it is possible to apply plaster out there (or even in zero gravity) and would it take?
I'm willing to go up there and test this for you, where do I sign? :lol:

Actually when I think about it, gravity is essential for what I call trowel and handboard work, where you pick up a lump of mixed plaster from the mixing bath and centre it up on the handboard so that you can take small amounts and plaster them on to the wall. Gravity is definitely helpful and should you tip the handboard too far the plaster will slide off on to the floor. (been there - done that :lol: )
Actually sticking it on to the wall would be similar as the technique is to tip the trowel at an angle, and just before it slides off the face of the trowel, you push it against the wall. The timing is important here! Once it is on the wall hydrostatic suction keeps it there as long as the weight of the lump of plaster does not exceed the suction, (a rough wall surface increases the mechanical 'key') and you leave it and add another bit until eventually it's all on the wall, then you would 'trowel it up' to smooth the face a bit, waiting as the plaster slowly sets chemically (about 90 minutes from mixing to finishing) and trowelling occasionally to smooth the plaster a bit more each time. I reckon that this part would work in space.The final smoothing off is done with water splashed on to the face of the plaster (this would be interesting in space :lol: ) The problems in zero or limited gravity would probably be getting it from the mixing bath to the handboard and from the handboard to the trowel and then to the wall.
Very interesting, I'd never considered that. Excellent question. I can't believe I'm talking shop during the Christmas holidays... :lol:
Regards,
Andy.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:26 pm

Great scientific reply Andy.

Mind you, getting plastered at Christmas (OK, most other times as well) is a tradition! I bet that will confuse the non-UK Forum Members! :)