Goodbye APOD

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Empeda2
Science Officer

Goodbye APOD

Post by Empeda2 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:28 pm

I feel, as Bilderback, this is no longer a place for scientific discussion. There are far too many people who are arguing points they do not understand - it's impossible to have proper scientific discussions here anymore. We like and welcome questions, debate and argument, but too many are now victims of the 'little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing' trap.

Please, maybe one day this forum will redeem itself and become what it once was.

I bid you all well - keep an open mind, and be at peace.

Keep searching for the answers.
Empeda.
The Artist Formerly Known as Empeda

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:15 pm

Is that one of the founding father of the forum leaving? How can one shy away from "open forum" discussions implying that others know less than him? And then again tell others to keep an open mind?

Good bye Empeda, some of your posts were good!

Empeda2
Science Officer

Post by Empeda2 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:30 pm

I don't mean to sound derogatory (and I'm certainly not a founding father!) - I just feel there's too much pseudo-science here now, that's all.

I know others disagree, which is why I think the forum will continue - it's just not for me anymore.
The Artist Formerly Known as Empeda

ta152h0
Schooled

adios Emp......

Post by ta152h0 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:21 am

Sorry to see you go and I have also noticed a degradation of "stay on topic " efforts bordering claims of knowledge supremacy. Hopefully diplomacy will prevail.
Wolf Kotenberg

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:55 am

Empeda2 Sorry to see you go.

Have a nice life.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

makc
Commodore

Re: adios Emp......

Post by makc » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:29 am

ta152h0 wrote:I have also noticed a degradation of "stay on topic " efforts
Well, there's too much stuff to lock; actually, Empeda is right. But if I would lock all these threads, there will be nobody to post any more. Who wants his thread locked? Most of you guys have posted tons of crap ending with words like "I don't quite understand what I just said myself, but duh". Would you better like me to lock crap threads or let Empeda go, huh? So don't be whining, and go post something good.

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:59 am

Think,

Empeda should be welcomed back. At times when you don agree just agree to disagree.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:07 pm

I'd welcome Empeda to back.
Orin

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:17 pm

Empeda wrote: I write back;
I feel, as Bilderback, this is no longer a place for scientific discussion. There are far too many people who are arguing points they do not understand - it's impossible to have proper scientific discussions here anymore. We like and welcome questions, debate and argument, but too many are now victims of the 'little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing' trap.

So those of us that recognize such manipulation at forums such as this one just give up? Maybe there is a better way? Bad things happen when good men do nothing. Has the WWW become the next World War on the Web? An information war? Truth against BS? The reason WHY this information war is going on is far more interesting to research than just pretty pictures.

Please, maybe one day this forum will redeem itself and become what it once was.
This forum was set up to be a Spin Doctor on HOW the public was to view the images being shown. Just as the Enterprise Mission of Hoagland, the Bad Astronomer and Universe Today, Art Bell, and many others around the world on the web, tv, and radio, have been given advanced information and pictures to Spin it a certain way. Deceptions and confusion are not redeeming qualities. To allow such postings here is indignation to me, and obviously to others.

I bid you all well - keep an open mind, and be at peace.
Peace my foot, this is WAR. As CS crater chains, multi impact crater basins, and many other photos clearly demonstrate a war in our solar system, so to does the attitude of many posters, moderators, and forum administrators when it comes to Spinning a web of confusion around some politically incorrect discussions. Keep in mind that the greatest
majority of scientists state in their papers that crater chains of this concise and systematic of formation is intimately copulating with impossible. For a single CS crater chain to form is 1 in 40 pages of zeros, and there are hundreds of them!?!? Yes, keep an open mind.

Keep searching for the answers.
Empeda.

Yes, keep searching for answers, and the truth.

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:02 pm

Welcome Back Crater Chains

To All those who indulge in Conspiracy theories.........

It's safer for you to think that everyone on this planet (apart from you) is an alien and his mission is to study your behaviour and thinking pattern. The same could be extended to posters and imposters.

By posting on this forum you are not patenting your theories or ideas, so when you give information for free, if idea is worth thinking about someone's gonna think about it. For that matter anyone is free to see this forum as info. gathering.

If you have your theories and counter theories and if you wanna express it here, atleast understand that this forum is not owned by you so don get too upset when someone wants to stick to what he / she thinks.

Einstein thought about unifying constant and gave up. He changed his theories to his linkings and dislikings many times. It took him 10 years to write and rewrite General Theory of relativity. He was a public figure and he had all the freedom to think as he liked. Science, like any other field is political. due to human interection(Unfortunately).

So if you wanna risk posting your ideas, don get too upset, if someone seems too dominating by sticking to his belief. When you say, some people wanna show off their knowledge / don't wanna learn or change etc etc, you are only showing the same weakness in you - you are getting frustrated coz some people won't buy your theories.

gordhaddow
Ensign

Post by gordhaddow » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:57 pm

The problem is not those who just don't want to (or are afraid to) consider anything that might challenge their beliefs on any level. As with any 'religion' (and there is no requirement for belief in any supreme being to establish a religion), the real problem is with those who choose to proselytize their beliefs without the effort to provide or develop any proof, relying instead on the efforts of their 'priests'. And any brief consideration of history will show that all actions of any 'priests' are motivated by self-interest, in this case the desire to 'live off of the avails of others' (this includes both self-prostitution and prostitution of others).
Slan go foill!

astroton
Science Officer

Post by astroton » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:19 pm

gordhaddow wrote:The problem is not those who just don't want to (or are afraid to) consider anything that might challenge their beliefs on any level. As with any 'religion' (and there is no requirement for belief in any supreme being to establish a religion), the real problem is with those who choose to proselytize their beliefs without the effort to provide or develop any proof, relying instead on the efforts of their 'priests'. And any brief consideration of history will show that all actions of any 'priests' are motivated by self-interest, in this case the desire to 'live off of the avails of others' (this includes both self-prostitution and prostitution of others).
That's the unfortunate reality of the world we live in. The Powerful have always exploited powerless. Increasingly, power is getting centered around powerful few - who are bent on turing "Survival for the fittest" into "Survival for the corrupt". (These words are not mine, they were used by a conservationist in a letter he wrote to respond to a businessman who wanted to buy chimps (for their skin) he was looking after).

But this is scarcely a place to let egos rule. You are not going to change the world, by venting your frustration here. The good so far has some how balanced the evil. Let's pray for the best for the planet and move on.
The Universe Is What You Think It Is. Every Thought Ever Thought Is True.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:13 am

okay, I'm a bad alien really, and with sole purpose of preventing truth about crater chains and The Great Solar War of Millenium to be freely spread around I am locking this. Whoever disagree, reopen in Cafe.