The Pillars of Eagle Castle (APOD 2009 July 10)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

The Pillars of Eagle Castle (APOD 2009 July 10)

Post by neufer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Art Neuendorffer

aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

Re: The Pillars of Eagle Castle (APOD 2009 July 10)

Post by aristarchusinexile » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:59 pm

I definitely saw this guy in the photo. http://technology.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/ ... &date=True

It's fun monkeying around.
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:29 pm

Did the explanation to the APOD really need a link ("boils") to a video on how to boil water! Were the links to information on castles and towers also necessary. The number of links in the explanation to APODs have increased a lot in recent months. I use them in case there is some astronomical relevance, but there have become too many pointless ones (in my opinion). If anyone did need that information there is at least Wikipedia. Perhaps I'm the only one that ever uses the links. :shock:

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:46 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:Did the explanation to the APOD really need a link ("boils") to a video on how to boil water!
Were the links to information on castles and towers also necessary.
--------------------------------------------------
http://www.castles-of-britain.com/castleso.htm wrote:
<<Murder holes are openings in a floor through which the castle defenders could drop missles or liquids upon the attackers. Stones were the most often used missile. Boiling oil was not used, as it was a precious commodity to waste. More than likely, if any boiling liquid was used, it was water. Murder holes were most often located in the vaulting over the gate passage. The parapet was an embattled wall shielding the castle defenders on the wall-walk.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder-hole wrote:
<<A murder-hole or meurtrière is a hole in the ceiling of a gateway or passageway in a fortification through which the defenders can fire, throw or pour dangerous or noxious substances at attackers. As a result, the defenders would be able to rain rocks, arrows, heated sand, boiling oil, water and incendiary devices, and other substances down on the attackers' heads. Similar holes, called machicolations, were often located in the curtain walls of castles, fortified manor houses and city walls. The parapet would project over corbels so that holes would be located over the exterior face of the wall, and arrows could be shot at, rocks dropped on, or boiling water poured over, any attackers near the wall.>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bodia ... _holes.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machicolation wrote:
<<A machicolation is a floor opening between the supporting corbels of a battlement, through which stones could be dropped on attackers at the base of a defensive wall. The design was developed in the Middle Ages when the Norman crusaders returned. A machicolated battlement projects outwards from the supporting wall in order to facilitate this. A hoarding is a similar structure made of wood, usually temporarily constructed in the event of a siege. Advantages of machicolations over wooden hoardings include the greater strength of stone battlements, as well the fireproof properties. The word derives from the Old French word machicoller, derived from Old Provençal machacol, and ultimately from Latin *maccāre (to crush) + collum (the neck). A variant of machicolations set in the ceiling of a passage was also colloquially known as murder-holes.>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pierrefonds5.jpg
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Isn't that Horton on the left hand side?

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090710.html
Art Neuendorffer

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:58 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:Did the explanation to the APOD really need a link ("boils") to a video on how to boil water! Were the links to information on castles and towers also necessary. The number of links in the explanation to APODs have increased a lot in recent months. I use them in case there is some astronomical relevance, but there have become too many pointless ones (in my opinion). If anyone did need that information there is at least Wikipedia. Perhaps I'm the only one that ever uses the links. :shock:
How to boil water is science .. some of the elements in the photo seem to result from a 'boiling' with globulals rising in a stream .. one of the problems with astronomical science, I think, is that astronomers impoverish their understanding, research and theoretical abilities by neglecting the other sciences. This, I believe, is due to a certain elite attitude among astronomers .. 'too high above the clouds' to bother with lesser things.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:39 pm

aristarchusinexile wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:Did the explanation to the APOD really need a link ("boils") to a video on how to boil water! Were the links to information on castles and towers also necessary. The number of links in the explanation to APODs have increased a lot in recent months. I use them in case there is some astronomical relevance, but there have become too many pointless ones (in my opinion). If anyone did need that information there is at least Wikipedia. Perhaps I'm the only one that ever uses the links. :shock:
How to boil water is science .. some of the elements in the photo seem to result from a 'boiling' with globulals rising in a stream .. one of the problems with astronomical science, I think, is that astronomers impoverish their understanding, research and theoretical abilities by neglecting the other sciences. This, I believe, is due to a certain elite attitude among astronomers .. 'too high above the clouds' to bother with lesser things.
Thanks aristarchusinexile for your reply. It's good that we can have our own opinion. I still stand by my commernts that I think there are too many links in APODs, though I feel I have to use them just in case they are to something very relevant. It seems to me that as the number of links is rising there seems to be less attention paid to the explanations, eg reusing ones but not updating them, and that in a recent APOD which was said investigations were being carried out which was a link to a paper from 23 years ago! PS. I still think a link to a video on how to boil water was unnecessary. :)

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:27 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:It's good that we can have our own opinion. . :)
Your statement is refreshing, David. I hope a couple of the other participants here make a note of it.