What did you see in the sky tonight?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: What did you see in the sky tonight?

Post by Ann » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:17 pm

There was a lovely conjunction between the Moon and Jupiter, and Venus was some distance away from the beautiful pair.

ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:52 pm

I thought that might have been Jupiter, it was so bright. Yea! I guessed right. YEE-HAA!! :cowboy:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:21 am

I noticed that Venus had a little bit of a glow about her tonight. Maybe Mercury paid her a visit :?:

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Last evening I saw the Moon, Jupiter and Venus in a straight line conjunction, starting more or less overhead and running roughly from the north-east to the south-west :D

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Venus and Jupiter are going to be in conjunction next month. That should be quite a sight.
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Space Cats!
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:08 am

Just been enjoying another early morning viewing of majestic Saturn before dawn. Good clear conditions, with reasonably little atmospheric disturbance evident through the scope. It is such a simple pleasure to be able to see it, it never fails to make me smile.

. . . wait a moment, was that a space cat I saw just peeping from behind the rings?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:56 am

I saw a bright, round, big, plump, white, full Moon shine in through my bedroom like a lamp.

Yeah, big deal. But it looked nice.

Ann
Color Commentator

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Oh yes, I sure love this post and all it’s threads. What did I see in the sky tonight / last night?
Well it was a most peculiar it was, there were actually and unbelievably four distinctly different points of light in the Los Angeles night sky; imagine that! I’m thinking that perhaps one of them might have been the moon though but who can say? In any event we were certainly blessed we were. :(

starstruck
Science Officer

Post by starstruck » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Venus and Mars [were] alright tonight :wink: :thumb_up:

(...with Jupiter loitering between 'em)

Also saw quite an impressive meteor streak from east to west directly overhead at about 8:45pm GMT :yes:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:56 pm

starstruck wrote:Venus and Mars [were] alright tonight :wink: :thumb_up:

(...with Jupiter loitering between 'em)

Also saw quite an impressive meteor streak from east to west directly overhead at about 8:45pm GMT :yes:
I didn't get to see a meteor, but the planets and the winter constellations were (briefly) impressive. Well, before the clouds rushed in again, of course.

The lovely Pleiades are sinking fast, so enjoy them while you can!

Ann
Color Commentator

TNT
Science Officer

Post by TNT » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 pm

I went camping over the weekend at Monkey Mountain National Reserve, and I was far away enough from the city that I had dark skies. I saw quite a bunch there. Friday night was too cloudy, but Saturday night gave me a chance to see a lot. I saw the winter coonstellations, Venus and Jupiter, and a meteor heading from northwest to southeast. When I woke up at 5 a.m., I was able to see Mars and Saturn, the Big Dipper, Scorpius (oddly enough), and another meteor from the west.
The following statement is true.
The above statement is false.

gdreiber
Asternaut

Post by gdreiber » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:35 pm

18:45 while walking I saw what I believe was a meteorite. It was to the northeast, quite bright. split into two parts before fading out. My location is near Adana Turkey. Was it viewed by others?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 am

I saw what seemed to be the 2nd or 3rd days growth of moon looking like a little smile, heading for the horizon. I caught the first sliver of moon onetime, boy was it painful!! Took me a while to get it out. It's a lot bigger than it looks. :mrgreen:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:05 pm

There was a splendid Venus and crescent Moon conjunction, and Jupiter not far away.

It was lovely! :D

(And for some reason, this moon is feeling sleepy. :arrow: Image

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

What a lovely twilight sky!

Post by Ann » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:42 pm

The western sky at sunset was a lovely sight. Between two buildings there is an opening, so that I can see a bit of the western sky almost down to the horizon. Near the horizon the sky had a lovely apricot-rosy hue. Above the glowing rosiness the sky took on a luminous, pearly colorlessness, and above that, a blue softness was everywhere. But the blue expanse was punctuated by two small bright white points, almost as if a child had pressed two pieces of white chalk into a very large blue "blackboard". It also looked a bit as if a very big sky god with two very small white eyes set very wide apart was staring down at me.

In the south, Sirius was sparkling and spitting colors, mostly blue. I could faintly make out Betelgeuse and Procyon, so that the Winter Triangle was complete. High in the south rode a bright half Moon.

How lovely.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

The sky was sporting rouge

Post by Ann » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:58 pm

The sky god with his white chalk point Venus and Jupiter eyes in the soft blue evening sky had gone to bed long ago, but he managed to reach up a long arm and apply a broad stroke of rouge on the eastern horizon in the morning. Above the rouge, he he had spilled some lemon juice, giving the sky a yellow tint, which almost but not quite bled into green as it joined the blue sky above. The blue sky was crystal clear, impossibly azure and bottomlessly deep.

But as a the eastern horizon rushed down to meet the Sun, a film of white seemed to coat the entire sky. The whiteness wasn't clouds and perhaps not even mist, just a brilliance that seemed to obliterate all colors. Along the western horizon, a faint hint of pink marked the belt of Venus, with the sinking Earth shadow an almost imperceptible deeper blue below. But the eastern horizon took on an intense, brilliant reddish-orange hue, redder than Betelgeuse will ever be.

And then I had to go to work, so I couldn't watch the sky any more.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Darn work :!: :!: It interupts everything. Maybe you'll have a nice morning sky to describe tomorrow, Ann :?: :yes: :clap: Or do you :gasp: sleep late on the weekends and miss the sunrises :?:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Beyond wrote:Darn work :!: :!: It interupts everything. Maybe you'll have a nice morning sky to describe tomorrow, Ann :?: :yes: :clap: Or do you :gasp: sleep late on the weekends and miss the sunrises :?:
I got to bed at eleven and woke up at four! 4 a.m.! :evil:

I managed to fall asleep again after about two hours, so I missed the sunrise.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Ann wrote:I managed to fall asleep again after about two hours, so I missed the sunrise.
That sounds healthy. I always worry a bit about people who regularly see sunrises!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:27 am

Early this morning, when it was still pitch dark, the full Moon was making a pass at Mars, or at least it seemed to be approaching it. To the left of it, Saturn and Spica were sailing the skies serenely like a pair of heavenly lovers.

Ann

EDIT: So it wasn't a full Moon. It was gibbous. Sheesh!! :P Defending myself from criticism I haven't received. Sheesh! :roll:
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:13 am

The Sun was very red when it rose. Betelgeuse, go and pull something old over you!

(What - you don't know that Swedish idiomatic expression? :shock: :shock: :shock: )

Ann
Color Commentator

Sam
Science Officer

Post by Sam » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Saw a pretty bright aurora in La Crosse, Wisconsin! Pictures here. :mrgreen:

--
Sam
"No avian society ever develops space travel because it's impossible to focus on calculus when you could be outside flying." -Randall Munroe

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Sam wrote:Saw a pretty bright aurora in La Crosse, Wisconsin! Pictures here. :mrgreen:

--
Sam
Ah, yes, the green, green grass sky of home. :yes:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:35 am

I saw nuthin' last night, it was cloudy. However, at daybreak, just before the sun was visible through the trees in the east, i saw a rainbow in the west. It was sprinkling gently outside, just enough to form a pinkish bow. The south side had just a hint of green and was a double bow. Also, about a fist at arms length to the east another pinkish bow was starting. I don't recall ever seeing a rainbow in the west before. They've always happened in the east, or almost overhead, in the late afternoon as the rain would be ending and the sun going down. It only lasted about five minutes, so i'm glad i caught it. My first sunrise rainbow. :yes: :clap: :thumb_up: