Fun astronomy photo technique - Universe in a bottle

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Fun astronomy photo technique - Universe in a bottle

Post by mjimih » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:34 pm

This is what the Universe would look like if it were a tiny model
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-is-how-t ... 1483570573

Looks like fun. :D I hope it catches on. There are just so many cool astronomy photos in the first place, that this technique could really be helpful in getting even more kids interested in the universe.
The technique is simple: open the original image as a base layer. Duplicate the layer and make it out of focus with the Gaussian blur filter. Then add a mask to that layer and use a brush to selectively mask the parts of the image that you would like to keep in focus so it looks as if you were taking a macro photo of a tiny model of the Universe.
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Re: Fun astronomy photo technique - Universe in a bottle

Post by Nitpicker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:17 pm

I just tried to do that and a little animated "mad-scientist" wizard popped up and said: "It looks like you're trying to re-invent the universe. Stop that at once! I refuse to help!"

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Fun astronomy photo technique - Universe in a bottle

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:55 am

I think this started on reddit or something. I saw an article about it a few days ago here: http://www.universetoday.com/107020/lit ... look-tiny/

They look sort of neat, like space turned into microbes. A little silly too, though.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.