APOD: A Cold River to Orion (2018 Nov 30)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Cold River to Orion (2018 Nov 30)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:07 am

Image A Cold River to Orion

Explanation: Ice is forming on the river Lielupe as it flows through the landscape in this winter's night scene. Even in motion the frigid water still reflects a starry sky, though. The well planned, Orion-centered panorama looks toward the south, taken in three exposures from a bridge near the village of Stalgene, Latvia, planet Earth. Drifting pancakes of ice leave streaks in the long exposures, while familiar stars of Orion and the northern winter night appear above and below the horizon. Village lights along the horizon include skyward beams from the local community church. This image was a first place winner in the 2018 StarSpace astrophotography competition.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: A Cold River to Orion (2018 Nov 30)

Post by Boomer12k » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:41 am

Awesome image... I don't think I ever realized that the 3 stars of the belt had so many other stars around them...it looks like there are 3 Open Clusters tight together....is that the case???

Great reflected image...

Glad it is not in Latveria...we'd be fighting "Doom Bots"...to take pictures, and "Victor" would not like that....

:---[===] *

Degutis
Asternaut

Re: APOD: A Cold River to Orion (2018 Nov 30)

Post by Degutis » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 am

APOD Robot wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:07 am Image A Cold River to Orion

Explanation: Ice is forming on the river Lielupe as it flows through the landscape in this winter's night scene. Even in motion the frigid water still reflects a starry sky, though. The well planned, Orion-centered panorama looks toward the south, taken in three exposures from a bridge near the village of Stalgene, Latvia, planet Earth. Drifting pancakes of ice leave streaks in the long exposures, while familiar stars of Orion and the northern winter night appear above and below the horizon. Village lights along the horizon include skyward beams from the local community church. This image was a first place winner in the 2018 StarSpace astrophysics competition.
It's the first time I realize that nothing matters for me here but the sky and the stars. Not even the glimpse of village lights that I catch anyway. The scene is indeed about a fantastic magical "astro night".