APOD: Strawberry Supermoon from China (2022 Jun 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Strawberry Supermoon from China (2022 Jun 16)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:05 am

Image Strawberry Supermoon from China

Explanation: There are four Full Supermoons in 2022. Using the definition of a supermoon as a Full Moon near perigee, that is within at least 90% of its closest approach to Earth in a given orbit, the year's Full Supermoon dates are May 16, June 14, July 13, and August 12. Full Moons near perigee really are the brightest and largest in planet Earth's sky. But size and brightness differences between Full Moons are relatively small and an actual comparison with other Full Moons is difficult to make by eye alone. Two exposures are blended in this supermoon and sky view from June 14. That Full Moon was also known to northern hemisphere skygazers as the Strawberry moon. The consecutive short and long exposures allow familiar features on the fully sunlit lunar nearside to be seen in the same image as a faint lunar corona and an atmospheric cloudscape. They were captured in skies over Chongqing, China.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Re: APOD: Strawberry Supermoon from China (2022 Jun 16)

Post by JohnD » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:25 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Not another named 'super' moon? But thank you, APoD, for making the point that a 'super' moon is not different to the unaided eye than any other full moon.

But the website "Full Moon Names" demonstrates how ridiculous, as well as culturally stereotypical, such names are. It lists thirteen different names for each month's full moon, so that June's could be Horse Moon, Dyan (?), Planting, Flying Fish, Green Corn, Windy, Ripe Berry (??what? In June?), Rose, Wolf, Cold, etc. etc. etc. This picture was taken in China, so surely and if you really, really must, it is a "Lotus Moon".

John

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:05 am

JohnD wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:25 am Ripe Berry (??what? In June?)
John
Yes. My parents used to grow strawberries in the garden. Shame I don't have them anymore, but usually about now in Ontario the strawberries would ripen by turning red by this week. In fact they taste much better as young June berries rather than when they get older after 1st July. Just my 2 cents. Hence likely the name Strawberry Moon this month rather than next month.

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:34 am

OK, De28te, I bow to your horticultural knowledge. But which cultures cultivate strawberries? Although the genus is distributed world wide, the 'garden' strawberry is an 18th century hybrid from France (according to Wiki) and previous references were to the woodland strawberry, that has tiny fruit - I have them growing in my garden, wild! Although delicious, they are not worth harvesting, unless you are stupid-rich nobility. This is a European/North American name, meaningless to many cultures, as shown by the many other names attributed worldwide, and surely even a hundred years ago, no one believed that the full moon actually ripened strawberries.

Please, APoD, show us nice pictures, explain the science. Leave woo-woo names to the woo-woos!
John

PS Most fruit, including berries ripen in autumn - that's why I exclaimed at "ripe berry moon"!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:07 pm

StrawberrySupermoonfromChina1024.jpg
Well! I say wow! Lovely picture APOD! :D
PerigeeApogeeCompare-1v.jpg
I love how the moon's features tie together when combining the
Super with the micro photos! :thumb_up:
vermeer_vermeer_960.jpg
Happy B-Day APOD!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:47 pm

JohnD wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:34 am OK, De28te, I bow to your horticultural knowledge. But which cultures cultivate strawberries? Although the genus is distributed world wide, the 'garden' strawberry is an 18th century hybrid from France (according to Wiki) and previous references were to the woodland strawberry, that has tiny fruit - I have them growing in my garden, wild! Although delicious, they are not worth harvesting, unless you are stupid-rich nobility.
Commercial cultivation? Maybe not. Why does that matter? The strawberry has been, for all of our recorded history, the most prized of berries. Found in poetry and literature and fairy tales going back thousands of years. Cultures all over the world have ancient traditions of collecting wild strawberries.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:39 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:47 pm ... The strawberry has been, for all of our recorded history, the most prized of berries. ...
Technically, a strawberry is NOT a berry, but many surprising "fruits" are.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:29 pm

bystander wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:39 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:47 pm ... The strawberry has been, for all of our recorded history, the most prized of berries. ...
Technically, a strawberry is NOT a berry, but many surprising "fruits" are.
Neither a fruit or a berry, achenes are quite varied. :wink:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:42 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:07 pm
PerigeeApogeeCompare-1v.jpg

Happy B-Day APOD!
Thanks, Orin, for posting the clearer comparison image. And for reminding me of APOD's birthday.
I love APOD!
I can scarce imagine how much work Robert Nemiroff & Jerry Bonnell have had to put in,
faithfully for so long, to have provided this archive to the world.
Mark Goldfain

DL MARTIN

Post by DL MARTIN » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:22 pm

APOD certainly opened my eyes.

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:36 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:47 pm
JohnD wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:34 am OK, De28te, I bow to your horticultural knowledge. But which cultures cultivate strawberries? Although the genus is distributed world wide, the 'garden' strawberry is an 18th century hybrid from France (according to Wiki) and previous references were to the woodland strawberry, that has tiny fruit - I have them growing in my garden, wild! Although delicious, they are not worth harvesting, unless you are stupid-rich nobility.
Commercial cultivation? Maybe not. Why does that matter? The strawberry has been, for all of our recorded history, the most prized of berries. Found in poetry and literature and fairy tales going back thousands of years. Cultures all over the world have ancient traditions of collecting wild strawberries.
Strawberry fields forever.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:56 pm

JohnD wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:34 am OK, De28te, I bow to your horticultural knowledge. But which cultures cultivate strawberries? Although the genus is distributed world wide, the 'garden' strawberry is an 18th century hybrid from France (according to Wiki) and previous references were to the woodland strawberry, that has tiny fruit - I have them growing in my garden, wild! Although delicious, they are not worth harvesting, unless you are stupid-rich nobility. This is a European/North American name, meaningless to many cultures, as shown by the many other names attributed worldwide, and surely even a hundred years ago, no one believed that the full moon actually ripened strawberries.

Please, APoD, show us nice pictures, explain the science. Leave woo-woo names to the woo-woos!
John

PS Most fruit, including berries ripen in autumn - that's why I exclaimed at "ripe berry moon"!
Out hiking yesterday, between 11,000 and 12,000 feet. Lots of strawberries coming in. But only just getting flowers. This moon didn't ripen any berries yet!
_
PXL_20220616_225233939p.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:40 pm

Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!