Suggust locations near NYC so I can view the night sky

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Newtonian Mechanics
Asternaut

Suggust locations near NYC so I can view the night sky

Post by Newtonian Mechanics » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:08 pm

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place or posting an exhuasted topic. I live in Jersey City, NJ, which is as close to downtown Manhattan as possible. Due to this (and as my signiture will mention), I am plauged by light pollution. I've learned about the Heavens, but I can never truely appreciate it.

I was wondering if anyone in the North East, in particular NYC-area, knows of a place within an hour (of driving) where I could go and actually see starts. From my house, I can see maybe 1-2 stars (or are those air planes?). I know the Catskills are near, but not near enough. I live near the very bottom of Manhattan, so I am very close to Newark, NJ and central Jersey. I would think driving west (via I-78) would be a good idea. Bear Mountain is 1.5 hours away, and while I love it there, it is a far drive on a week night.

I appreciate any help or suggustions. Perhaps Westchester is a suitable area? I have a nice set of binoculars and soon I'll purchase a real telescope. I've been fascinated with the Heavans ever since I took a class at my college recently (New Jersey Institute of Technology).
.-.-. With such great fascination of the Heavans, I've never even seen the Milky Way, as I've been plauged by Light Pollution my entire life. ._._.

Recycled Electrons
Ensign

Post by Recycled Electrons » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:18 pm

The Amateur Astronomers Association of New York holds several observing nights a year in and around NYC. http://www.aaa.org

While some of their sights are still fairly light-polluted, they make regular trips out to Bear Mountain and several other places out on Long Island and Upstate NY.

Check out the website, and take a look at the "Observing" section.