Space Temperature

The cosmos at our fingertips.
brbear1
Ensign

Space Temperature

Post by brbear1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:11 pm

What is the temperature of interstellar space? Is it determined by the proximity of the nearest star? The distance between stars is so vast that logically it would be indescribably cold, especially if there is no nearby surface to reflect light or heat. Just curious.

SmartAZ
Ensign

Post by SmartAZ » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:19 am

HERE is a theory about that.

But we should remember that space does not have a temperature. Only mass can have temperature.
I'm almost famous!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Space Temperature

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:09 am

brbear1 wrote:What is the temperature of interstellar space? Is it determined by the proximity of the nearest star? The distance between stars is so vast that logically it would be indescribably cold, especially if there is no nearby surface to reflect light or heat. Just curious.
Most likely, it is very hot. That is, the few particles you encounter will have high velocities. For instance, the temperature of space inside the Solar System reaches hundreds of thousands of degrees. Up where the ISS orbits, the temperature is thousands of degrees. But those numbers are all very misleading. Since there are so few particles, the efficiency of heat transfer is extremely low. The degree to which you will be heated up (or cooled down) by convective processes is vanishingly small. The dominant heat transfer process in a near vacuum is radiative. The temperature an object will reach in interstellar space is determined by its physical properties, the amount of radiation it absorbs from the distant stars, and what it radiates back out. You can pretty much figure that the equilibrium temperature for something in deep space, light years from any stars, is barely above the background temperature of the Universe, 2.7 K.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:34 pm

I recall reading that intergalactic gas gets up to hundreds of millions of degrees Kelvin.

Here's one site that says that, for example: http://library.thinkquest.org/C0126626/ ... %20gas.htm

-Noel

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:03 pm

SmartAZ wrote:HERE is a theory about that.

But we should remember that space does not have a temperature. Only mass can have temperature.
That is according to the definition of temperature as the average kinetic energy of a mass. An alternate definition is the ability to transfer heat. In that regards, the temperature could be considered a little above 2.7 Kelvin, which Chris mentioned would be your equilibrium temperature in deep space. To say something is in thermal equilibrium with something else (eg, deep space) is equivalent to saying they have the same temperature.
Chris Peterson wrote:The dominant heat transfer process in a near vacuum is radiative.
Great post. That exact line, verbatim, actually popped into my head when I was reading the original question!
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)