Question: Aurora, fluctuations, which time scale?

The cosmos at our fingertips.
henk21cm
Science Officer

Question: Aurora, fluctuations, which time scale?

Post by henk21cm » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:18 pm

G'day folks,

Yesterday evening (20080907) the BBC had a topic about Norway and Svalbard. Some images of aurora were shown. From the images one could not get an good idea of the time scale of the fluctuations, since the images could have been sped up considerably. The aurora looked like curtains slowly waving in a gentle breeze. Since i have never seen aurora with my own eyes, my question is:

How fast is aurora changing?
Regards,
 Henk
21 cm: the universal wavelength of hydrogen

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:13 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icugqEEOgkg
Most of the individual clips here were each taken over about a 10 minute period to give you an idea of how much they were moving in real time.

henk21cm
Science Officer

Time scale of aurora?

Post by henk21cm » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:24 pm

makc wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icugqEEOgkg
Most of the individual clips here were each taken over about a 10 minute period to give you an idea of how much they were moving in real time.
Unfortunately i can not display these clips, since they are Flash format. Is it safe to assume that 1 minute is the time scale of the fluctuations?
Regards,
 Henk
21 cm: the universal wavelength of hydrogen

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:49 pm

From what i saw here in the north. It always depend of the solar flare coming from the sun. Some change in 30 sec, other in 2 to 5 minutes. I saw many that move from north to south over my head withinh a few second. Extremely impressive. Twas all white light and it must have been a very big solar flare. The entire sky was moving (The light i mean)(Many different flash). Saw that once in my life. So henck, it usualy move slowly. Minutes or half minute. It depend of how someone see it. Time is subject to people estimation wich differ from one another. Ohhh by the way, beer also influence the pass of time. :wink:

makc
Commodore

Re: Time scale of aurora?

Post by makc » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:01 am

henk21cm wrote:Unfortunately i can not display these clips, since they are Flash format.
Are you on linux or something? Use this site to download stuff from youtube, and then this player to play it.

henk21cm
Science Officer

Time scale of fluctuations in Aurora

Post by henk21cm » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:27 pm

Doum wrote:Some change in 30 sec, other in 2 to 5 minutes.
With the help of makc and Doums description i know now that the images the BBC was showing, were probably real-time. Sometimes processes are shown in a 'fast forward' pace, like clouds speeding in the sky.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:02 am

ha. now where was that funny story about blind man, who was asking what something looks like... cozz I still do not know :)