Lunar Diamond (APOD 2008 Dec 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
gat001
Asternaut

Lunar Diamond (APOD 2008 Dec 06)

Post by gat001 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:06 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap081206.html

Why was astronomer-artist Deirdre Kelleghan recorded observations in sketches of the celestial event. from Greystones, County Wicklow, Ireland, showing the crescent upside down from from my observation in central USA?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: 2008 December 6 APOD

Post by neufer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:18 pm

gat001 wrote:Why was astronomer-artist Deirdre Kelleghan recorded observations in sketches of the celestial event. from Greystones, County Wicklow, Ireland, showing the crescent upside down from from my observation in central USA?
Probably because she was observing it through a telescope and you weren't:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Tele ... ematic.png
Art Neuendorffer

adastra
Asternaut

Lunar Diamond

Post by adastra » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:21 pm

What the?? I love APOD but that one just... Are we into abstract art now? Is Ms. Kelleghan someone's girlfriend?
"If you move one grain of sand the world will never be the same."

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Re: Lunar Diamond

Post by apodman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:38 pm

adastra wrote:What the?? I love APOD but that one just... Are we into abstract art now? Is Ms. Kelleghan someone's girlfriend?
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081206.html

Well, the web site is "Astronomy Picture of the Day", not "Astronomy Photo of the Day".

I can see where looking at art might be a challenge, but try. And why shouldn't Ms. Kelleghan be someone's girlfriend? My own mother was once someone's girlfriend, as was my grandmother before her.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:50 pm

neufer wrote:Probably because she was observing it through a telescope and you weren't:
True, without the correcting eyepiece, the view through a telescope is reversed

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:02 pm

The image you see through a telescope depends on the type of telescope (reflecting - Newtonian vs. Cassegrainian; refracting - Galilean vs. modern; catadoptric; etc.), and its lens, mirror, or prism arrangement. The resulting image may be upright, inverted (mirrored), or rotated without inversion. If your telescope is one kind and your finder scope is another, you know the extra twist your brain has to do to come out straight. (You already do one twist from scope to sky, so why not another?)

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:31 pm

apodman wrote:
adastra wrote:What the?? I love APOD but that one just... Are we into abstract art now? Is Ms. Kelleghan someone's girlfriend?
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081206.html
Well, the web site is "Astronomy Picture of the Day", not "Astronomy Photo of the Day".

I can see where looking at art might be a challenge, but try.
I beg your pardon :!:
apodman wrote: And why shouldn't Ms. Kelleghan be someone's girlfriend? My own mother was once someone's girlfriend, as was my grandmother before her.
http://www.deirdrekelleghan.com/16001.html
The Irish Astronomical Society is over 70 years in existence.
2008 will bring me [Deirdre Kelleghan] up to a third year as president.

A happy group of members taking a rest after a night of sharing the stars at Sandymount, Dublin 4. Pictured (left to right) are Deirdre Kelleghan, Robin Moore, John Murphy, Val Dunne and Patricia Carroll. Also a considerable sum was donated to UNICEF. All of this despite the indifferent weather.
http://www.irishastrosoc.org/
Venus Occultation Egress Sketch by Deirdre Kelleghan. Meade LX90 telescope at 57x.
Dec 1st 2008 at Greystones, Co Wicklow. Freezing. Pastels/Conte on FineArt
Art Neuendorffer

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:37 pm

neufer wrote:
apodman wrote:I can see where looking at art might be a challenge, but try.
I beg your pardon :!:
I said "looking at art" - not "looking at Art". Sorry for any confusion.

---

And see how there are no stars in the background of the IAS photo? An astronomical society, and no stars - makes me kinda suspicious. It looks like the lunar conspiracy has extended itself to this photographic "evidence" of life on Earth. Seriously, it's the same lesson in exposure.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:53 pm

apodman wrote:And see how there are no stars in the background of the IAS photo? An astronomical society, and no stars - makes me kinda suspicious. It looks like the lunar conspiracy has extended itself to this photographic "evidence" of life on Earth. Seriously, it's the same lesson in exposure.
Are lunar conspirators officially called lunatics?

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:01 pm

bystander wrote:Are lunar conspirators officially called lunatics?
I guess that depends on who you ask. In my book, the lunar conspiracy theorists are called lunatics.

walfy
Ensign

Re: Lunar Diamond (APOD 2008 Dec 06)

Post by walfy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:40 pm

APOD always surprises, and I found this painting to be one of the best. That someone spent a long while and in chilly conditions to paint such a fine depiction of an astronomical event speaks to me of real interest, love and enjoyment of the night sky. That's what it's all about, isn't it? And this isn't the first illustration in APOD.

gat001
Asternaut

Post by gat001 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:34 am

Thanks everyone. I thought she should be looking at the same moon as I was, I just forgot about the upside down lens effect.

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:45 am

gat001 wrote:Thanks everyone. I thought she should be looking at the same moon as I was, I just forgot about the upside down lens effect.
Actually, in a simple telescope there is a full 180º rotation and one could simply have rotated the drawing/painting before signing it.

But Deirdre was apparently using an 8-inch Meade LX90 Telescope with a 1-1/4 inch diagonal prism in front of the eyepiece which should then make things right side up but still leave left & right reversed. I can't, myself, tell from her drawing whether there is a full 180º rotation or just the left & right are reversed. Can anyone else tell :?:
Art Neuendorffer

Helio George
Ensign

Post by Helio George » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:47 am

The observation and drawing depict just how bright Venus is since it was seen as standing out like a "diamond" next to the bright surface of the Moon. The surface brightness of Venus is noteably brighter than the surface brightness of the Moon.