Extent of space (APOD 23 Mar 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
cosgroved
Asternaut

Extent of space (APOD 23 Mar 2006)

Post by cosgroved » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:51 pm

In a not too distant APOD, a model of the expansion of the universe since the big bang was posted. It brings up a question in my mind. As the universe expands, where does the space into which it expands originate? Was it alwys there? Is it infinite? This might seem a nonsense question, but current theories supported by observation indicate that space is not uniform, but can be changed locally by gravity. If this is just a construct to explain how objects can be viewed as relatively closer or farther away from each other, then this may not be important. But if space has some unknown fabric that is affected by gravity, then the question wold seem to be of importance. I have no answer, only the question.

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:30 pm

Perhaps the APOD you are referring to is Will the Universe End in a Big Rip? (21 Oct 2007)?

That the 'big bang' is some kind of explosion, from a point somewhere in space, is one of most common misconceptions; see, for example, this page for more detail.

More generally, the theory of General Relativity (GR) addresses the relationship between space, time, mass-energy, and gravity. It is both a very simple relationship and a highly counter-intuitive one. It has also been tested pretty thoroughly, and has passed every test to date, with flying colours.

The other great physics theory of the 20th century - quantum mechanics - is even more counter-intuitive! Interestingly, the two are mutually incompatible; sadly though the regimes in which the incompatibility would have easily detectable consequences - so amenable to scientific investigation, through observation and experiment - are way, way beyond anything we can probe today.

cosgroved
Asternaut

Exten of space

Post by cosgroved » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:14 pm

Actually, it was the APOD that showed a model beginning with the Big Bang depicted as a point. That is a misconception as I understand from following your links. Guess I will have to delve into the equations to understand better, but you have helped a lot.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:59 am

Dutchman
Asternaut

Post by Dutchman » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:32 pm

So what's everyone's opinion on the extent of the universe? Finite or infinite?

Sowndbyte
Ensign

Post by Sowndbyte » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:41 pm

Man is predisposed to place a boundary upon his surroundings. open your mind,and you will see infinity.

Dutchman
Asternaut

Post by Dutchman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Oww, it hurts.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Dutchman wrote:So what's everyone's opinion on the extent of the universe? Finite or infinite?
If quantum mechanics is true, the universe needs to be finite.
Speculation ≠ Science

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:07 pm

MOOT,
We cannot and likely never will be able to travel there over the course of our species existance unless we learn to travel at the speed of thought. Still then not very likely since we cannot think of where we haven't seen.

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:27 pm

Dr. Skeptic wrote:
Dutchman wrote:So what's everyone's opinion on the extent of the universe? Finite or infinite?
I still don't see how quantization of spacetime necessarily requires a finite space.
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:28 pm

Qev wrote:
Dr. Skeptic wrote:
I still don't see how quantization of spacetime necessarily requires a finite space.
If the universe is composed of strictly finite units, there cannot be an infinite amount of units or empirical measurements/data is meaningless.

Example:

Time

- The distance an object travels between two points take 1 second.

- Divide the second in half repeatedly until the smallest unit is reached.

- If quantum mechanics is true, there needs to be a quantum unit of time.

- If not, the result is 1/infinity seconds (mathematically undefined)

- The distance the object traveled in 100 billion seconds would = 100 B/infinity

- By definition, 1/infinity = 100B/infinity

- Because all empirical data can be extrapolated from another, distance, mass ... fall under the same flaw trying to introduce infinity into an empirical value.
Speculation ≠ Science

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:13 pm

So, you're effectively claiming the equivalent of saying the set of integers isn't infinite?

rigelan
Science Officer

Post by rigelan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:52 pm

I don't think a minimum size of object means that you must have a maximum number of objects.

Masswise, I think that there are only so many particles in the universe. Even though it goes beyond our perception of 14 billion years, I believe it exists. Whether that happens to be 10^50 particles or 10^100 or 10^1000, who knows.

Volumewise, I would say that the size which the universe COULD take up is infinite, but the amount it is currently taking up is not infinite, and it will never be infinite because it could always be larger.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:06 am

Qev wrote:So, you're effectively claiming the equivalent of saying the set of integers isn't infinite?
That is correct.

Quantum mechanics states everything in our 4 dimensions need to resolve as integers. Such as an electron is in one energy state or another but cannot and does not exist anywhere between the two states.

Also, ∞ is not an integer, in fact it is not a number - it is a non empirical conceptual limit.
Speculation ≠ Science

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:10 am

Well, then, I'm afraid you're wrong. The set of integers is defined as countably infinite. That a set has a smallest indivisible unit says nothing about its extent.

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:27 am

Maybe it's not expanding at all, but time is varying. Maybe it just takes longer for the light to travel from one point to another now than it did then. Of course, now and then are relative too...

Just goes to show that it's difficult to observe something when a part of it and inside it.

-Noel

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:49 pm

Qev wrote:Well, then, I'm afraid you're wrong. The set of integers is defined as countably infinite. That a set has a smallest indivisible unit says nothing about its extent.
Isn't the "extent" just the reciprocal of the "unit division"?

Infinity as an integer has an unobtainable value so its value cannot be defined - other than an abstract concept.

Infinity doesn't exist in the universe, if it did mathematics would be meaningless. (That would also include infinity itself.)
Speculation ≠ Science

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:27 pm

Doesn't the reciprocal of the unit division depend on how you're expressing the unit division, though? If I define it as 1, its reciprocal is 1.

Infinity is unobtainable as a value, certainly... it's defined as greater than any assigned value. It can be treated as a number in certain ways, but isn't the same 'kind' of number than say an integer or real. I don't see how the presence of infinity in the integer set invalidates mathematics using integers; that's where you're losing me, I think.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:51 pm

Qev wrote:Doesn't the reciprocal of the unit division depend on how you're expressing the unit division, though? If I define it as 1, its reciprocal is 1.

Infinity is unobtainable as a value, certainly... it's defined as greater than any assigned value. It can be treated as a number in certain ways, but isn't the same 'kind' of number than say an integer or real. I don't see how the presence of infinity in the integer set invalidates mathematics using integers; that's where you're losing me, I think.
Infinity is a non empirical value, injecting infinity into an empirical statement produces a non empirical result, or, it changes a quantitative product into a qualitative product.

Am I helping or confusing you?
Speculation ≠ Science

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Just to be clear, I'm not claiming that infinity is an integer in the set of integers, but rather that the set of integers itself is infinite, ie. it increases without bound. There exists no 'largest integer'.

I do agree that when mis-applied, infinities lead to nonsense results. They're not 'normal' numbers.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:59 pm

Qev wrote:Just to be clear, I'm not claiming that infinity is an integer in the set of integers, but rather that the set of integers itself is infinite, ie. it increases without bound. There exists no 'largest integer'.

I do agree that when mis-applied, infinities lead to nonsense results. They're not 'normal' numbers.
That is correct, there is no largest integer, but, there is a finite limit to quantum units in the universe.

Saying there is an infinite number of integers is applying a conceptual limit to empirical numbers, its not a real limit because infinity is not a number, thus empirically cannot be a defined as a limit. Applying this logic, the universe cannot be infinite because infinity is not a real limit.

Logic: (An infinite universe would then not be real????) :roll:
Speculation ≠ Science

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:21 am

Well, I'll certainly agree that we're not likely to ever be able to observe that the universe is infinite (or finite), I still disagree that it can be ruled out by the logic you're giving. Aren't you basically arguing that (going back to the numbers example) since we can't count to infinity, integers can't be infinite in extent?

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:38 am

Mathematically speaking, the only set of problems that can include infinity as te product must have infinity as the basis.
Infinity (I)
I+I=I
I-I=I
IxI=I
I/I=1
Otherwise the product of any whole number will be just another whole number.

There are no 2 whole numbers whose product = I

Pete
Science Officer
AKA: Long John LeBone

Post by Pete » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:10 am

"Infinity" is certainly not a particular number and can't be thrown into equations like that; you get obvious contradictions like
Dr. Skeptic wrote: 1/infinity = 100B/infinity
implying 1 = 100B.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:28 pm

Qev wrote:Well, I'll certainly agree that we're not likely to ever be able to observe that the universe is infinite (or finite), I still disagree that it can be ruled out by the logic you're giving. Aren't you basically arguing that (going back to the numbers example) since we can't count to infinity, integers can't be infinite in extent?
Well, in a way.

Empirical data cannot reach the limit of infinity. Remember, infinity is a (non?) limit not a number.
Speculation ≠ Science