APOD's main NASA site
77%
a smartphone app
2%
an APOD non-English mirror site
2%
the Asterisk, APOD's discussion board
1%
Other (if you would like, please explain below)
12%

Total votes: 1576

RJN
Baffled Boffin

APOD assessment poll #5

Post by RJN » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:20 am

Thank you very much for your interest in Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). We very much appreciate the time you have given us viewing our images and reading the explanations; your dedication drives us to keep doing the site. APOD will likely be asking other questions in the near future; your responses will help us better understand viewers like you, and will allow us to improve what we do for you.

Please select the option that best reflects your opinion on the poll statement listed. Please leave any comments you may have on this topic below.

Thank you!

virgin@lucent.com

Re: APOD assessment poll #5

Post by virgin@lucent.com » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:26 am

Greetings,

APOD is set as the home page in my browsers. This is possible because you
use the same URL every day. Although it seems unlikely that you will change
that feature, this message is being written to remind you that it is a useful
feature that should not be changed without considerable thought.

Another useful feature is that you post each day's APOD at the date-labeled URL
when it first appears on the more general APOD URL. This allows one to send
friends the date-labled URL for constancy in the case they read the message a day later.

Thanks
Bob Jopson

Aerin

Post by Aerin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:37 am

APOD is on my iGoogle home page. I am extremely upset to hear that iGoogle is being discontinued, and I will no longer have my wonderful home page with APOD, news headlines, and radar weather. :cry:

Tucson Star Watcher

Post by Tucson Star Watcher » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:39 am

For several years, I have had APOD set as my homepage. It's the first amazing thing that I get to look at each time I go online.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:19 am

APOD is the home page on my browser too.

slugbiker

Post by slugbiker » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:20 am

apod is my browser homepage, and has been for over 12 years.

Gabriele
Asternaut

Post by Gabriele » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:41 am

I have the (almost) blank google main page because I want the bare minimum. APOD is my reward to myself...As I'm on the Pacific Coast I know that after 11 pm I'll find the new image and before I turn the computer off, I'll go to APOD (and may or may not follow up on the info with the image) and then to the Mt Wilson towercam to remind me that although I may live in the LA basin, there is another world above...the world of the telescopes and scientists as well as the beauty of the site itself...and above the big dome that I usually see in the towercam image, there are the planets and the stars (and a satellite that transits left to right, lower to upper during certain seasons--and with the right conditions, reflects light almost like a small fire ball...
I'm old enough that I remember reading Fred Hoyle's book in the 60s and while I didn't have the mind for the math I had the heart and interest for the dreams and to be able to click a button on my computer and see a screen full of galaxies...an idea that would not have been believed back 'then'...
To everyone who makes APOD possible, thank you.

hhm

Post by hhm » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:41 am

I have a bookmark for APOD. No need to go through another site.

BikerMike
Ensign
AKA: BikerMikeM

Post by BikerMike » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:43 am

Ditto for Bob Jopson's post.
Still on the green side of the sod. --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hometruths/ ... tion.shtml

Bernard AUGIER

Post by Bernard AUGIER » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:11 am

I Discovered Your SITE Long Ago. since I open my day with your page to get my energy for the day
Thank You, You certainly Can't Imagine All The Good You Share Around The World...
God Bless You

From France

TheSoftman

Post by TheSoftman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:17 am

Greetings to you!
Everyday, APOD's main page is my first sight on the internet and I dare hope it will still be so for long, because it enlightens me all day long.
Thank you for all this amazing stuff !
PS: I too fully agree with Bob Jopson's post..

johnbrandt

Post by johnbrandt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:32 am

First thing I look for everyday via iGoogle.

Paul1510

Post by Paul1510 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:57 am

APOD is the first link on my favourites list, and the first page I visit each day. :D :idea: :?:
Learning about the Universe is one of humanities most important tasks.

tjjharris

Post by tjjharris » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:19 am

I've had the link to APOD on my browser for what seems like twenty years, certainly well back into the nineties. It is my nightly last thing to do. I'm at UTC-10, and often find myself waiting until page change to get "tomorrow's page". My fave images are my rotating desktop backgrounds and screen savers images, but I stopped saving them routinely many years ago -- there is just infinite awe available everywhere. I'm deeply grateful for this site, though it seems strange to remember when the Hubble scope was just a good idea in the works, that someday we'd be in space. It's been an awesome ride, watching it all come down, remembering VonBraun's "good ideas", sputnik's launch, Hubble's corrective lens, SOHO as concept, and it just gets more and more exciting. Can't wait for tomorrow's image.

Aimie

Post by Aimie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:00 am

I have a desktop shortcut to APOD so I can access at any time; no waiting! I've been a devoted fan for over 10 years. My wallpaper is any nebula or galaxy that intrigues me. Once a year my 5th grade students get an birthdate APOD from me. The whole class is excited and many have added APOD to their Favorites list. Thank you for bringing APOD into my life. :!:

DMC

Post by DMC » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:03 am

I have the APOD gadget on my iDoodle browser home page.

talloaks@comcast.net

Post by talloaks@comcast.net » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:26 am

Hello,

Like Bob Jopson, I use my favorites bar on my browser. My Favorites bar on my browser has included the APOD site since it was featured as the RefDesk "Site of the Day" many years ago. (Through six different computers now!) Since that time, it is one of two sites that I visit every morning (the other is the usgs earthquake page).

The consistency and quality of your work is what causes me to pass the site along to friends and new acquaintances. Keep up the good work - and especially the consistency. (And please keep posting when and where your folks are making presentations - my wife and I thouroughly enjoys the program in Kalamazoo several years ago!)

Thank You! Terry Allen

TCDJr

Post by TCDJr » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:12 am

APOD is the first site I visit each day. It helps me keep a proper perspective on all the news I read, the videos I'll watch and the comments I'll read. These images on APOD remind me that it is all of little consequence in the great reality we are a part of otherwise it could overwhelming. The daily picture on APOD says we are all a part of something so great, so wondrous and so beautiful that all those nasty headlines are only winks in the eye of the universe.

garysinmpls

Post by garysinmpls » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:47 am

I check APOD every day by a tab on Firefox. I love APOD. It is a beautiful way to expand my thoughts for the day. APOD has made a unique and simple way to show us the world and the universe. All of you who have a hand in keeping APOD there for us to view and learn are greatly appreciated.

WDRoden

Post by WDRoden » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:01 pm

I like for my browser to open to a blank page because I usually leave it closed unless I am using it. So I have a desktop shortcut to APOD so I can jump to it readily, usually the first thing I do in the day.

Thanks and Keep Up the Good Work.

Wanderingdoc@me.com

Post by Wanderingdoc@me.com » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 pm

RJN wrote:Thank you very much for your interest in Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD). We very much appreciate the time you have given us viewing our images and reading the explanations; your dedication drives us to keep doing the site. APOD will likely be asking other questions in the near future; your responses will help us better understand viewers like you, and will allow us to improve what we do for you.

Please select the option that best reflects your opinion on the poll statement listed. Please leave any comments you may have on this topic below.

Thank you!
APOD is the 2nd thing I view in the morning after the weather; a constant source of wonder. Thank you.

jwkphoto

Post by jwkphoto » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:13 pm

I found this site the week I got my first computer in Aug., 1998. I have shortcut on my desktop above my email shortcut and I check this page everyday. I've been hooked on apod.com and can imagine what life would be like if it went away. Everyday there is something new I learn from it. Please keep it coming!

KathyC

Post by KathyC » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:21 pm

APOD is the second website I look at every morning when I'm having my coffee. Always amazes and I miss it when I don't get to see it. I have one of your Milky Way pictures as my desktop right now. I think I've been visiting your website almost every morning for about 10 years. Thanks! It's nice to have the opportunity to tell you how much I love this site.

zach

Post by zach » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:21 pm

APOD is so great. I have it set as my windows background (being able to do that was an epic discovery in itself) and now every morning I start my computer to a new epic picture, or in today's case an epic video. I would love for this to be my droid background as well!

halavana

Post by halavana » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 pm

APOD has been a bookmark in my list of sites to check daily for several years. Thanks for posting such beautiful images of our universe. Keep 'em coming!