Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

See new, spectacular, or mysterious sky images.
User avatar
bystander
Apathetic Retiree
Posts: 21587
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

Post by bystander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Swirling Storms on Saturn - 'Rev 175' Raw Preview
NASA | GSFC | JPL-Caltech | Cassini Solstice Mission | CICLOPS | 2012 Nov 28
NASA's Cassini spacecraft has been traveling the Saturnian system in a set of inclined, or tilted, orbits that give mission scientists a vertigo-inducing view of Saturn's polar regions. This perspective has yielded images of roiling storm clouds and a swirling vortex at the center of Saturn's famed north polar hexagon.

These phenomena mimic what Cassini found at Saturn's south pole a number of years ago. Cassini has also seen storms circling Saturn's north pole in the past, but only in infrared wavelengths because the north pole was in darkness. But, with the change of the Saturnian seasons, the sun has begun to creep over the planet's north pole.

Eight and a half years into our history-making expedition around the ringed planet and we are still astounded by the seemingly endless parade of new planetary phenomena.

This particular set of raw, unprocessed images was taken on Nov. 27, 2012, from a distance of about 250,000 miles (400,000 kilometers) from Saturn.

Image Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute

Staring into Saturn's baleful eye
Planetary Society | Emily Lakdawalla | 2012 Nov 27

Incredible Raw Image of Saturn’s Swirling North Pole
Universe Today | Jason Major | 2012 Nov 28

Deep Inside Saturn's Stormy Eye
Discovery News | Big Pic | 2012 Nov 28

The Monstrous Eye at Saturn’s North Pole
Slate Blogs | Bad Astronomy | 2012 Nov 28

Cassini spots superstorm at Saturn's north pole
New Scientist | Short Sharp Science | Lisa Grossman | 2012 Nov 28

That amazing image of Saturn's north pole just got better: now, it moves!
Planetary Society | Emily Lakdawalla | 2012 Nov 28

Saturn’s Strange Hexagon – In Living Color!
Universe Today | Jason Major | 2012 Nov 29

http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?p=188410#p188410
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

Post by Beyond » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:46 am

I think the movie 2001 got it wrong. It's not Jupiter... It's Saturn, and it's full of Hexagonoliths!!!!!!
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

FloridaMike
Science Officer
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:21 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

Post by FloridaMike » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:14 pm

in awe of Nature ... :o :P
Certainty is an emotion. So follow your spindle neurons.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Beyond wrote:
I think the movie 2001 got it wrong. It's not Jupiter... It's Saturn, and it's full of Hexagonoliths!!!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland wrote:
<<Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions is an 1884 satirical novella by the English schoolmaster Edwin Abbott Abbott. Writing pseudonymously as "a Square", Abbott used the fictional two-dimensional world of Flatland to offer pointed observations on the social hierarchy of Victorian culture.

Men are portrayed as polygons whose social status is determined by their regularity and the number of their sides with a Circle considered to be the "perfect" shape. On the other hand, females consist only of lines and are required by law to sound a "peace-cry" as they walk, because when a line is coming towards an observer in a 2-D world, her body appears merely as a point. The Square evinces accounts of cases where women have accidentally or deliberately stabbed men to death, as evidence of the need for separate doors for women and men in buildings.

The population of Flatland can "evolve" through the "Law of Nature", which states: "a male child shall have one more side than his father, so that each generation shall rise (as a rule) one step in the scale of development and nobility. Thus the son of a Square is a Pentagon, the son of a Pentagon, a Hexagon; and so on."

In the world of Flatland, classes are distinguished using the "Art of Hearing," the "Art of Feeling" and the "Art of Sight Recognition." Classes can be distinguished by the sound of one's voice, but the lower classes have more developed vocal organs, enabling them to feign the voice of a polygon or even a circle. Feeling, practised by the lower classes and women, determines the configuration of a person by feeling one of their angles. The "Art of Sight Recognition," practised by the upper classes, is aided by "Fog," which allows an observer to determine the depth of an object. With this, polygons with sharp angles relative to the observer will fade out more rapidly than polygons with more gradual angles. Colour of any kind was banned in Flatland after Isosceles workers painted themselves to impersonate noble Polygons. The Square describes these events, and the ensuing war, at length.>>
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 13600
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

Post by Ann » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Flatland females, I suppose, have no sides at all, as they are no doubt only good for breeding. They are probably either dots, lines or two-dimensional blobs.

(We can hope that Mr Abbott meant to critize the way Victorian England treated females, too!)

Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:41 pm

Ann wrote:
Flatland females, I suppose, have no sides at all, as they are no doubt only good for breeding. They are probably either dots, lines or two-dimensional blobs.

(We can hope that Mr Abbott meant to critize the way Victorian England treated females, too!)
All except for Queen Victoria... who was a circle.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
owlice
Guardian of the Codes
Posts: 8406
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

Post by owlice » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Ann, you can read the book online: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/201/201-h/201-h.htm

(And the blurb Art posted states outright that females are lines, so no supposing was necessary.)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

Post by Beyond » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 am

neufer wrote:
Beyond wrote:
I think the movie 2001 got it wrong. It's not Jupiter... It's Saturn, and it's full of Hexagonoliths!!!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland wrote:
<<Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions is an 1884 satirical novella by the English schoolmaster Edwin Abbott Abbott. Writing pseudonymously as "a Square", Abbott used the fictional two-dimensional world of Flatland to offer pointed observations on the social hierarchy of Victorian culture.

Men are portrayed as polygons whose social status is determined by their regularity and the number of their sides with a Circle considered to be the "perfect" shape. On the other hand, females consist only of lines and are required by law to sound a "peace-cry" as they walk, because when a line is coming towards an observer in a 2-D world, her body appears merely as a point. The Square evinces accounts of cases where women have accidentally or deliberately stabbed men to death, as evidence of the need for separate doors for women and men in buildings.

The population of Flatland can "evolve" through the "Law of Nature", which states: "a male child shall have one more side than his father, so that each generation shall rise (as a rule) one step in the scale of development and nobility. Thus the son of a Square is a Pentagon, the son of a Pentagon, a Hexagon; and so on."

In the world of Flatland, classes are distinguished using the "Art of Hearing," the "Art of Feeling" and the "Art of Sight Recognition." Classes can be distinguished by the sound of one's voice, but the lower classes have more developed vocal organs, enabling them to feign the voice of a polygon or even a circle. Feeling, practised by the lower classes and women, determines the configuration of a person by feeling one of their angles. The "Art of Sight Recognition," practised by the upper classes, is aided by "Fog," which allows an observer to determine the depth of an object. With this, polygons with sharp angles relative to the observer will fade out more rapidly than polygons with more gradual angles. Colour of any kind was banned in Flatland after Isosceles workers painted themselves to impersonate noble Polygons. The Square describes these events, and the ensuing war, at length.>>
Hmm... You quoted me... but then went directly to Flatlandering, which doesn't seem to have any Hexogonoliths, or any kind of liths at all, unless they're cleverly disguised. So... are there any liths in Flatland :?: :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Pergatory

Re: Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

Post by Pergatory » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:40 pm

(hypothetical theory) The hexagon shape is the results of Saturn's violent atmosphere as it is breaking down from the bottom up. Saturn may some day lose it's atmosphere, it's simply saying goodbye. Although it takes several thousands of years.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Pergatory wrote:
(hypothetical theory) Saturn may some day lose it's atmosphere, it's simply saying goodbye.

Although it takes several thousands of years.
  • That long :!:
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator
Posts: 9180
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Cassini: Swirling Storms on Saturn

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:15 pm

That makes no sense to me. It'd be like Earth losing its crust or Sun losing its photosphere.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.