APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 5459
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:05 am

Image High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan

Explanation: Is the Sun always straight up at noontime? No. For example, the Sun never appears directly overhead from locations well north or south of the Earth's equator. Conversely, there is always a place on Earth where the Sun will appear at zenith at noon -- for example on the equator during an equinox. Turning the problem around, however, as in finding where the Sun actually appears to be at high noon, is as easy as waiting for midday, pointing your camera up, and taking a picture. If you do this often enough, you find that as the days march by, the Sun slowly traces out a figure eight on the sky. Pictured above is one such high noon analemma -- a series of pictures always taken at exactly noontime over the course of a year. The above fisheye image, accumulated mostly during 2012, also shows some buildings and trees of Baku, Azerbaijan around the edges.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by Beyond » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:06 am

Ah, another string of pearls. This time, imported.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by neufer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/la ... _testament
Art Neuendorffer

FloridaMike
Science Officer
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:21 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by FloridaMike » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:40 pm

I really love the shape of the analemma for some reason, don't know why. Thank you Tunç Tezel for all the effort an image like this takes.
Certainty is an emotion. So follow your spindle neurons.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
Posts: 2524
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am
AKA: Bruce
Location: East Idaho

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:01 pm

FloridaMike wrote:I really love the shape of the analemma for some reason, don't know why.
Reminds you of infinity, perhaps? (That's why I like it.)
Last edited by BDanielMayfield on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

User avatar
LocalColor
Science Officer
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:11 pm
Location: Central Idaho, USA

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by LocalColor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:13 pm

After spending several years attempting this ourselves, we appreciate the effort put into an image like this! Thank you.

BillBixby
Science Officer
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by BillBixby » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:27 pm

LocalColor wrote:After spending several years attempting this ourselves, we appreciate the effort put into an image like this! Thank you.
Several years attempting to record infinity? I agree with Buzz Lightyear that we should get Beyond involved with the problem presented with infinity. :wink:

User avatar
Beyond
500 Gigaderps
Posts: 6889
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by Beyond » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:42 pm

BillBixby wrote:
LocalColor wrote:After spending several years attempting this ourselves, we appreciate the effort put into an image like this! Thank you.
Several years attempting to record infinity? I agree with Buzz Lightyear that we should get Beyond involved with the problem presented with infinity. :wink:
Beyond says... that sort of thinking troubles me to no end. :lol2:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

User avatar
Anthony Barreiro
Turtles all the way down
Posts: 793
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: San Francisco, California, Turtle Island

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by Anthony Barreiro » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:53 pm

APOD Robot wrote:... Turning the problem around, however, as in finding where the Sun actually appears to be at high noon, is as easy as waiting for midday, pointing your camera up, and taking a picture. If you do this often enough, you find that as the days march by, the Sun slowly traces out a figure eight on the sky. Pictured above is one such high noon analemma -- a series of pictures always taken at exactly noontime over the course of a year. ...
One quibble: You're conflating two different kinds of "noon". When I read "high noon" I think of apparent solar noon. To get this picture of the analemma the pictures were taken at mean solar noon. If the pictures were all taken at high noon, the line of Suns would be straight up and down, and much less interesting.
May all beings be happy, peaceful, and free.

Madeup

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by Madeup » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:56 am

Where are the trees?

sovermyer

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by sovermyer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:52 am

It looks like shipyard cranes are serving as the trees...

Jack42
Asternaut
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:41 am

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by Jack42 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:48 am

I think the text is a little misleading in this entry. In the text they say, "For example, the Sun never appears directly overhead from locations well north or south of the Earth's equator." However the sun is directly overhead at the Tropic of Capricorn on December 21. I would say that the Tropic of Capricorn, which is 2,630 km away from the equator is indeed well south of the Earth's equator.

Comments?

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by neufer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:37 am

Jack42 wrote:
I think the text is a little misleading in this entry. In the text they say, "For example, the Sun never appears directly overhead from locations well north or south of the Earth's equator." However the sun is directly overhead at the Tropic of Capricorn on December 21. I would say that the Tropic of Capricorn, which is 2,630 km away from the equator is indeed well south of the Earth's equator.
Well... I disagree, Jack.
    • Synonyms

    Well: comfortably, considerably, easily, substantially...

    Somewhat: fairly, moderately, passably, reasonably, slightly...
The Tropic of Capricorn, is somewhat south of the Earth's equator.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Nitpicker
Inverse Square
Posts: 2692
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:39 am
Location: S27 E153

Re: APOD: High Noon Analemma Over Azerbaijan (2013 Oct 14)

Post by Nitpicker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 am

Jack42 wrote:I think the text is a little misleading in this entry. In the text they say, "For example, the Sun never appears directly overhead from locations well north or south of the Earth's equator." However the sun is directly overhead at the Tropic of Capricorn on December 21. I would say that the Tropic of Capricorn, which is 2,630 km away from the equator is indeed well south of the Earth's equator.

Comments?
I agree with neufer (on this matter at least). If the Sun is directly above you, then you are in the Tropics and it can get hot enough to affect your judgement and make you think you are further away from the Equator than you really are.