APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.

APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby APOD Robot » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:10 am

Image Rio at Night

Explanation: In this night skyscape setting stars trail above the western horizon over Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, a venue for the 2014 World Cup. Gentle arcs from the bright, colorful stars of Orion are near the center of the frame, while the starfield itself straddles planet Earth's celestial equator during the long exposure. Of course, trails from more local lights seem to create the strident paths through the scene. Air traffic smears an intense glow over an airport at the far right, while helicopters fly above the city and boats cruise near the coast. Striping the waterfront are tantalizing reflections of bright lights along Rio's central beaches, Botafogo and Flamengo. Near the horizon, the brightest fixed light is the famous Cristo statue overlooking Rio at night.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby Ann » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:22 am

That is a very interesting and striking picture.

For once, I was able to identify some of those star tracks. That's really Orion up there, pretty much dead center - well, a bit to the left. But what about that bright white, almost yellow-white streak to the upper left of Orion - is that Sirius? Colorwise, it looks more like Jupiter. Speaking about Jupiter, where is it? I can see the twins, Pollux and Castor, right of center, but Jupiter is nowhere to be seen.

I assume that the striking blue track at far left is Adhara, Epsilon Canis Majoris, a B1 or B2-type giant star.

Well, it is a fascinating picture, and I had fun trying to identify the stars!

Ann
Color Commentator
User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
 
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby Beyond » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:15 am

But Ann, you completely left out Rio at night. I was wondering if you had as much fun looking horizontal as when you were looking around vertical.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond
User avatar
Beyond
Milliways Pundit
 
Posts: 6407
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am
Location: BEYONDER LAND

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby Nitpicker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:44 am

Ann wrote:That is a very interesting and striking picture.

For once, I was able to identify some of those star tracks. That's really Orion up there, pretty much dead center - well, a bit to the left. But what about that bright white, almost yellow-white streak to the upper left of Orion - is that Sirius? Colorwise, it looks more like Jupiter. Speaking about Jupiter, where is it? I can see the twins, Pollux and Castor, right of center, but Jupiter is nowhere to be seen.

I assume that the striking blue track at far left is Adhara, Epsilon Canis Majoris, a B1 or B2-type giant star.

Well, it is a fascinating picture, and I had fun trying to identify the stars!

Ann


Yes it is Sirius. I don't think Jupiter is in frame. I suspect this is an image from 2012 or earlier. I think the brightest blue streak at top-left is Canopus, which doesn't normally appear blue.
User avatar
Nitpicker
Inverse Square
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:39 am
Location: S27 E153

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby alter-ego » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:20 am

Nitpicker wrote:
Ann wrote:That is a very interesting and striking picture.

For once, I was able to identify some of those star tracks. That's really Orion up there, pretty much dead center - well, a bit to the left. But what about that bright white, almost yellow-white streak to the upper left of Orion - is that Sirius? Colorwise, it looks more like Jupiter. Speaking about Jupiter, where is it? I can see the twins, Pollux and Castor, right of center, but Jupiter is nowhere to be seen.

I assume that the striking blue track at far left is Adhara, Epsilon Canis Majoris, a B1 or B2-type giant star.

Well, it is a fascinating picture, and I had fun trying to identify the stars!

Ann


Yes it is Sirius. I don't think Jupiter is in frame. I suspect this is an image from 2012 or earlier. I think the brightest blue streak at top-left is Canopus, which doesn't normally appear blue.

I see 4 blue streaks: The faint one furthest left (not intersecting the top edge) is 41 Eridanus (HIP20042), moving up and to the right, the next brighter 3 (intersecting the top edge) are Wazn and Phact in Columba, then Furud in Can Maj.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist
User avatar
alter-ego
Science Officer
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:51 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby Nitpicker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:34 am

alter-ego wrote:I see 4 blue streaks: The faint one furthest left (not intersecting the top edge) is 41 Eridanus (HIP20042), moving up and to the right, the next brighter 3 (intersecting the top edge) are Wazn and Phact in Columba, then Furud in Can Maj.


Now that makes more sense. Thanks. (Go Brazil!)
User avatar
Nitpicker
Inverse Square
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:39 am
Location: S27 E153

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby Boomer12k » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:43 am

Rio is BUSY....

How busy is it?

Rio is sooooooo busy...even the STARS ARE BUSY!!!!!

LOL...

What a busy and interesting picture of Rio....a busy place.

:---[===] *
Boomer12k
:---[===] *
 
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby Didier Jamet » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:41 am

I'm afraid there's a mistake in the name of the beaches, as one of the readers of the French version explained it. The famous Ipanema and Copacabana are completely out of the frame, on the left. The brightly lit beaches are Botafogo and Flamengo.

Didier
Didier Jamet
 

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby Astrolandscaper » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:28 pm

I'm surprised not to see more light pollution !? Rio is well a very big city .... In Belgium, the sky is always orange, even if i'm in the countryside 30km from Brussels.
(sorry for my poor english, it's not my natal language )
Astrolandscaper
 

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby hmacedo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Yes, those are indeed Botafogo and Flamengo beaches. You can see the lights of Ipanema beach on the top left of the picture, between two cliffs. Copacabana cannot be seen.

Haroldo Macêdo

Didier Jamet wrote:I'm afraid there's a mistake in the name of the beaches, as one of the readers of the French version explained it. The famous Ipanema and Copacabana are completely out of the frame, on the left. The brightly lit beaches are Botafogo and Flamengo.

Didier
hmacedo
 

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby TunaMan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:11 pm

Did you notice how the star trails appear as two independently concentric circles with individual "center" points?

Would this be polar north and polar south, with the two "circles" converging at the equatorial center?
or simply the effect of the curvature of the planet as realized from this view near the eqautor?

Either way, thats an awesome view of the heavenlies .....
8-)
TunaMan
 

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby Tupi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:34 pm

Great image! But the light between the two hills is not Ipanema (Beach) either. The lights belong to the Jockey Club.
Tupi
 

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby Chris Peterson » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:56 pm

TunaMan wrote:Did you notice how the star trails appear as two independently concentric circles with individual "center" points?

Would this be polar north and polar south, with the two "circles" converging at the equatorial center?
or simply the effect of the curvature of the planet as realized from this view near the eqautor?

Any star trail image approximately centered on the celestial equator will show this effect. There have been many APODs, imaged from many places on Earth, which show star arcs around both the northern and southern poles.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
 
Posts: 9240
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby starsurfer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
starsurfer
Commander
 
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby othermoons » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Is time a measure of change? or does change happen because we have an illusion of time passing? This might be a phylosophical question, but looking at this picture it seems stars move and change positions relative to our illusion of time, and the city seems still relative to the stars but its changing just at a slower pace. I guess I am just trying to understand time!
othermoons
 

a phylosophical question

Postby neufer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:31 pm

othermoons wrote:
Is time a measure of change? or does change happen because we have an illusion of time passing? This might be a phylosophical question, but looking at this picture it seems stars move and change positions relative to our illusion of time, and the city seems still relative to the stars but its changing just at a slower pace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylogenetics wrote:
<<In biology, phylogenetics is the study of evolutionary relationships among groups of organisms (e.g. species, populations), which are discovered through molecular sequencing data and morphological data matrices. The term phylogenetics derives from the Greek terms phylé (φυλή) and phylon (φῦλον), denoting "tribe", "clan", "race" and the adjectival form, genetikós (γενετικός), of the word genesis (γένεσις) "origin", "source", "birth". The result of phylogenetic studies is a hypothesis about the evolutionary history of taxonomic groups: their phylogeny.>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy wrote:
<<Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument. The word "philosophy" comes from the Ancient Greek φιλοσοφία (philosophia), which literally means "love of wisdom".>>
Art Neuendorffer
User avatar
neufer
Abstruse Allusion Artificer
 
Posts: 11592
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby Ann » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:34 pm

alter-ego wrote:
I see 4 blue streaks: The faint one furthest left (not intersecting the top edge) is 41 Eridanus (HIP20042), moving up and to the right, the next brighter 3 (intersecting the top edge) are Wazn and Phact in Columba, then Furud in Can Maj.


Thanks, alter-ego! :D

Note, however, that Wazn in Columba is not a blue star. It is a star of spectral class K1.5III (according to my software), with a B-V index of +1.146.

Ann
Color Commentator
User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
 
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby alter-ego » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:56 am

Ann wrote:
alter-ego wrote:
I see 4 blue streaks: The faint one furthest left (not intersecting the top edge) is 41 Eridanus (HIP20042), moving up and to the right, the next brighter 3 (intersecting the top edge) are Wazn and Phact in Columba, then Furud in Can Maj.


Thanks, alter-ego! :D

Note, however, that Wazn in Columba is not a blue star. It is a star of spectral class K1.5III (according to my software), with a B-V index of +1.146.

Ann

Yeah, I saw that too. At first I wasn't going to include Wazn but as is appears as a bluish streak to me, I bundled it with the others.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist
User avatar
alter-ego
Science Officer
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:51 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: APOD: Rio at Night (2014 Jun 20)

Postby DavidLeodis » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:26 am

In regard to the stars in the image the caption to it in Babak's 'Dreamviews' website states:-

"Stars trail over the lights of Rio De Janeiro in Brazil. The timelapse photo sequence has captured a lot of activities. Planes flying from the domestic airport at the right edge; helicopter tours flying near Corcovado where the world-famous Cristo statue is brightly illuminated on the top of mountains, overlooking Rio; Boats move in the Guanbara Bay; and flooding lights of Rio beaches fade away the stars in the sky. Still some of the brighter stars are captured in this image. Sirius (top) and prominent constellations Orion, Gemini, and Taurus are visible in the sky.". That was brought up through the "In this night skyscape" link in the explanation to the APOD.

It's a great time-lapse image that must have been hard to do with all the light pollution around.
User avatar
DavidLeodis
A Tiger Named Lion
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Wake up Otto!

Postby neufer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:59 pm

APOD Robot wrote:
Striping the waterfront are tantalizing reflections of bright lights along the Copacabana and Ipanema beaches.

The word "Ipanema" comes from the Tupi language and means "stinky lake", from upaba ("lake") and nem ("stinky").
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140620.html wrote:
Striping the waterfront are tantalizing reflections of bright lights along Rio's central beaches, Botafogo and Flamengo.
Art Neuendorffer
User avatar
neufer
Abstruse Allusion Artificer
 
Posts: 11592
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia


Return to The Bridge: Discuss an Astronomy Picture of the Day

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests