APOD: Volcano of Fire Erupts Under the Stars (2015 Mar 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Volcano of Fire Erupts Under the Stars (2015 Mar 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:07 am

Image Volcano of Fire Erupts Under the Stars

Explanation: First, there was an unusual smell. Then there was a loud bang. But what appeared to the eye was the most amazing of all. While waiting near midnight to see a possible eruption of Volcán de Fuego (Volcano of Fire) in Guatemala last month, a ready camera captured this extraordinary image. Lava is seen running down the side of the volcano, while ash rises up, and glowing magma bubbles explode out of the caldera. Lights near the town of Escuintla can be seen in the background, one of several nearby towns that have witnessed several spectacular eruptions previously. High above, seemingly tranquil by comparison, are familiar stars from the night sky. Although the Volcán de Fuego usually undergoes low-level activity, when the next spectacular eruption will occur is unknown.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

yasgur
Ensign

Re: APOD: Volcano of Fire Erupts Under the Stars (2015 Mar 1

Post by yasgur » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:08 am

It looks like a painting. Well done Mr. Rizzo.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:09 am

What a great picture! I saw it in the Recent Submissions forum the other day and was impressed and delighted by it. Congratulations, Diego Rizzo, you really deserve having your picture chosen to be the Astronomy Picture of the Day!

(On a different note, I see you have already daylight saving time in the United States now. You are only five hours behind me now, not six. APOD appears early! Yay! Well, in two weeks' time everything will be back to normal, time-wise, between you and us.)

Ann
Color Commentator

RedFishBlueFish
Science Officer

Post by RedFishBlueFish » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:46 am

Amazing picture.

One cannot help but scale it up to see Seattle in the background viewed from SE of Rainier at some point in the future.

Nitpicker
Inverse Square

Post by Nitpicker » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:08 am

Spectacular. Looks like Mr Rizzo was standing on the side slopes of another volcano, Acatenango, just to the north, which is joined to Volcán de Fuego. I wonder how risky that was.

satarbet

Post by satarbet » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:11 pm

I cannot tell you how much I enjoy this site. Over the years since I have been visiting it each day there have been many incredible pictures of our universe, locally, globally, and cosmically. I don't know what it is about this picture, then, but it is one of the most spectacular ones I've seen here.

henrystar
Ensign

Post by henrystar » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:32 pm

Ann wrote:What a great picture! I saw it in the Recent Submissions forum the other day and was impressed and delighted by it. Congratulations, Diego Rizzo, you really deserve having your picture chosen to be the Astronomy Picture of the Day!
... I see you have already daylight saving time in the United States now.
Ann
We should use GMT everywhere on Earth, and always.... http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/calendar.html

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:59 pm

so, when Eta Carinae decides to blow, will this place be in darkness no more for the duration ? And come to think of it, will this light be usefull in finding dark objects in the solar system ?
Wolf Kotenberg

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:21 pm

Amazing shot... With the towns beyond, the stars above....

:---[===] *