APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3575
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:11 am

Image The Clouds of Orion the Hunter

Explanation: Cradled in cosmic dust and glowing hydrogen, stellar nurseries in Orion the Hunter lie at the edge of giant molecular clouds some 1,500 light-years away. Spanning about 30 degrees, this breath-taking vista stretches across the well-known constellation from head to toe (left to right) and beyond. At 1,500 light years away, the Great Orion Nebula is the closest large star forming region, here visible just right and below center. To its left are the Horsehead Nebula, M78, and Orion's belt stars. Sliding your cursor over the picture will also find red giant Betelgeuse at the hunter's shoulder, bright blue Rigel at his foot, the Witch Head Nebula above -- and illuminated by -- Rigel, and the glowing Lambda Orionis (Meissa) nebula on the left, near Orion's head. Of course, the Orion Nebula and bright stars are easy to see with the unaided eye, but dust clouds and emission from the extensive interstellar gas in this nebula-rich complex, are too faint and much harder to record. In this mosaic of broadband telescopic images, additional image data acquired with a narrow hydrogen alpha filter was used to bring out the pervasive tendrils of energized atomic hydrogen gas like in the arc of the giant Barnard's Loop.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 9575
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by Ann » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:06 am

What a superb picture! I love it! I can imagine - or I can't, frankly - how much work has gone into producing it.

The details are amazing, the annotation great, and the RGB + Ha colors are stunning.

Welcome back here, Rogelio! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

NCTom

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by NCTom » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:31 am

Awesome picture. Thanks so much for the identification overlay. We very basic amateurs need all the help we can get.

CURRAHEE CHRIS
Science Officer
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:04 pm
Location: Mechanicsburg Pa.

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by CURRAHEE CHRIS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:18 pm

NCTom wrote:Awesome picture. Thanks so much for the identification overlay. We very basic amateurs need all the help we can get.

Couldnt agree more!! Easily one of the best Ive seen in quite sometime!!!

Curious but why is there an LBN 917 and an LBN 915/917? It makes me think at some point in time some of LBN 917 seperated and joined LBN 915?? Any insight would be appreciated.

User avatar
rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Posts: 2581
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS, Canada

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by rstevenson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:08 pm

CURRAHEE CHRIS wrote:Curious but why is there an LBN 917 and an LBN 915/917? It makes me think at some point in time some of LBN 917 seperated and joined LBN 915?? Any insight would be appreciated.
I think the latter is supposed to be LBN 915/919, but I'm far from an expert.

Rob

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer
Posts: 3561
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by starsurfer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:25 pm

Truly amazing image, Rob Gendler would be proud! Normally I prefer seeing most things north up but I don't mind seeing this orientated landscape. This mosaic is so wide it includes objects in three separate constellations! As well as Orion and Monoceros, it contains something located in Taurus, the open cluster NGC 1817 near the left edge of the image. There is also a little yellow reflection nebula between NGC 1817 and Sh2-264, this is catalogued as vdB37.

Also there is a mistake in the labeled version. The nebula marked as LBN 915/917 is actually NGC 1788 and LDN 1616. There are lots of other nebulae and clusters that haven't been labeled.

Finally, I would like to point out that this is a mosaic of 49 frames!! It would be incredible if this could be expanded even further next winter! :D

RBANDREO

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by RBANDREO » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:56 pm

Ann wrote:Welcome back here, Rogelio! :D
Thanks Ann, you do know how to make a photographer feel good about their work :ssmile:

Abot the welcome, also thanks, but I never really left :wink:

Rogelio

User avatar
Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:34 pm
AKA: Fred
Location: Idaho USA

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:42 pm

It is a wonderful image of the famous hunter and an excellent guide to help us view his (or hers -I guess Bellatrix is the huntress here) hunting ground. One day, soon I hope, Betelgeuse will supply a "supernova" neck to help connect the head to an unfortunate case of "Bernard's" scoliosis? Couldn't be helped; that sword case contains so many stellar wonder it has to be quite heavy.

He'd better be careful though. Rogelio has illustrated a good way from "witch" to trip. :)
Make Mars not Wars

RBANDREO

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by RBANDREO » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:45 pm

starsurfer wrote:Also there is a mistake in the labeled version. The nebula marked as LBN 915/917 is actually NGC 1788 and LDN 1616. There are lots of other nebulae and clusters that haven't been labeled.
Apologies, and yes, there was a wrong label indeed. I submitted the corrected version and it should be replaced sometime today. Thank you and Rob for pointing it out.

I'm proud of Rob Gendler too by the way :wink:

Landscape fits better everywhere, I like both orientations. I even like it "upside down".

Thanks for all the comments!

Rogelio

User avatar
RJN
Baffled Boffin
Posts: 1491
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Michigan Tech

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by RJN » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:02 pm

Curious but why is there an LBN 917 and an LBN 915/917? It makes me think at some point in time some of LBN 917 seperated and joined LBN 915?? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks to a new overlay being emailed from Rogelio (the astrophotographer), the roll-over annotation has now been updated!

- RJN

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer
Posts: 3561
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by starsurfer » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:24 am

RBANDREO wrote:
starsurfer wrote:Also there is a mistake in the labeled version. The nebula marked as LBN 915/917 is actually NGC 1788 and LDN 1616. There are lots of other nebulae and clusters that haven't been labeled.
Apologies, and yes, there was a wrong label indeed. I submitted the corrected version and it should be replaced sometime today. Thank you and Rob for pointing it out.

I'm proud of Rob Gendler too by the way :wink:

Landscape fits better everywhere, I like both orientations. I even like it "upside down".

Thanks for all the comments!

Rogelio
That's great to see the corrected labels! However there is another one that I missed, the nebula marked as vdB62-3 is LDN 1622.

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer
Posts: 3561
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by starsurfer » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:27 am

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:One day, soon I hope, Betelgeuse will supply a "supernova" neck to help connect the head to an unfortunate case of "Bernard's" scoliosis?
It would be nice if the bowshock associated with Betelgeuse was visible optically in Ha!

RBANDREO

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by RBANDREO » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:23 pm

starsurfer wrote:That's great to see the corrected labels! However there is another one that I missed, the nebula marked as vdB62-3 is LDN 1622.
They're all in the same area. The vdB objects are the small bright reflection nebulae and LDN is the dark nebulae, so I think that's fine. As you pointed out, many objects are not labeled. I mostly labeled the most popular objects plus a few more. I think if you label too many objects, most people would likely feel overwhelmed and won't pay attention to even the popular objects.

Thanks!
Rogelio

User avatar
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23
Posts: 4076
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:It is a wonderful image of the famous hunter and an excellent guide to help us view his (or hers -I guess Bellatrix is the huntress here) hunting ground. One day, soon I hope, Betelgeuse will supply a "supernova" neck to help connect the head to an unfortunate case of "Bernard's" scoliosis? Couldn't be helped; that sword case contains so many stellar wonder it has to be quite heavy.

He'd better be careful though. Rogelio has illustrated a good way from "witch" to trip. :)
Nah, that isn't scoliosis he suffers from, Orion is really Master Roshi and the Loop is his turtle shell back pack :D

User avatar
Ron-Astro Pharmacist
Resistored Fizzacist
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:34 pm
AKA: Fred
Location: Idaho USA

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by Ron-Astro Pharmacist » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:40 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
Ron-Astro Pharmacist wrote:It is a wonderful image of the famous hunter and an excellent guide to help us view his (or hers -I guess Bellatrix is the huntress here) hunting ground. One day, soon I hope, Betelgeuse will supply a "supernova" neck to help connect the head to an unfortunate case of "Bernard's" scoliosis? Couldn't be helped; that sword case contains so many stellar wonder it has to be quite heavy.

He'd better be careful though. Rogelio has illustrated a good way from "witch" to trip. :)
Nah, that isn't scoliosis he suffers from, Orion is really Master Roshi and the Loop is his turtle shell back pack :D
I think I'm going to have to check out this Master Roshi fellow. He seems right up my alley. Thanks for the tip. :yes:
Make Mars not Wars

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer
Posts: 3561
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by starsurfer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:34 am

RBANDREO wrote:
starsurfer wrote:That's great to see the corrected labels! However there is another one that I missed, the nebula marked as vdB62-3 is LDN 1622.
They're all in the same area. The vdB objects are the small bright reflection nebulae and LDN is the dark nebulae, so I think that's fine. As you pointed out, many objects are not labeled. I mostly labeled the most popular objects plus a few more. I think if you label too many objects, most people would likely feel overwhelmed and won't pay attention to even the popular objects.

Thanks!
Rogelio
I feel the opposite way! It's good to label most of the prominent objects, so people take notice of the unknown nebulae, especially if it draws attention towards things people might not otherwise notice.
It is true that the vdB nebulae are in that area but they are not visible in a widefield image.
Also below is an image of LDN 1622 by Ignacio de la Cueva Torregrosa that marks the location of vdB62 and vdB63.
ldn1622_ignacio_de_la_cueva_torregrosa_vdb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roberto Capacci
Ensign
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:09 am
Location: Arezzo (Italy)

Re: APOD: The Clouds of Orion the Hunter (2015 Mar 16)

Post by Roberto Capacci » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:36 am

Superb picture! :D