APOD: Venus in the West (2015 Apr 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Venus in the West (2015 Apr 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:08 am

Image Venus in the West

Explanation: In the coming days, Venus shines near the western horizon at sunset. To find Earth's sister planet in twilight skies just look for the brilliant evening star. Tonight very close to the Pleiades star cluster, Venus dominates this springtime night skyscape taken only a few days ago near the town of Lich in central Germany. Also known as the Seven Sisters, the stars of the compact Pleiades cluster appear above Venus in this picture. The budding tree branches to its left frame bright star Aldebaran, the eye of Taurus the Bull, and the V-shaped Hyades star cluster.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

ta152h0
Schooled

Re: APOD: Venus in the West (2015 Apr 11)

Post by ta152h0 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:55 pm

From spacecraft that visited this planet, I would call it " Sister from Hell planet ". spolling error repaired on edit
Wolf Kotenberg

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Re: APOD: Venus in the West (2015 Apr 11)

Post by DavidLeodis » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:46 am

I find it adds interest to an APOD if at least the actual date it was taken is given, or can at least be found using Exif data. In the Exif data I was able to find for this APOD it however confusingly states the image create date was "April 7, 2015 11:44:22AM (timezone not specified)". Assuming that the date is correct then that time was almost midday in Germany, which on that date was under Central European Summer Time being 2 hours ahead of Universal Time. Unless the camera used was not set to the local date/time then I'm very :?. The image does not yet seem to be in Babak's gallery in TWAN nor his Dream Views website, so I was unable to find the information from those sites.