APOD: Perseid by the Sea (2017 Aug 16)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Perseid by the Sea (2017 Aug 16)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:06 am

Image Perseid by the Sea

Explanation: Just after moonrise on August 12 this grain of cosmic sand fell by the sea, its momentary flash part of the annual Perseid Meteor Shower. To create the Perseid meteors, dust along the orbit of periodic comet Swift-Tuttle is swept up by planet Earth. The cometary debris plows through the atmosphere at nearly 60 kilometers per second and is quickly vaporized at altitudes of 100 kilometers or so. Perseid meteors are often bright and colorful, like the one captured in this sea and night skyscape. Against starry sky and faint Milky Way the serene view looks south and west across the Adriatic Sea, from the moonlit Dalmatian coast toward the island of Brac.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Tom Fleming

Re: APOD: Perseid by the Sea (2017 Aug 16)

Post by Tom Fleming » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:08 am

Note the region to the left of the meteor path. The region that roughly includes the boundaries of Aquila, Scutum and Serpens. There is a strongly suggested smoke train from a previous bright meteor entry. The only other possible explanation is a random 'scud' cloud in the process of forming. But the shape and coloration resembles trains I have captured in the past.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:19 am

"And it is a LONG HIGH FLY BALL, OUT OF THE PARK!!!!!! YES FOLKS....."

Great image...

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:44 am

Boomer12k wrote:"And it is a LONG HIGH FLY BALL, OUT OF THE PARK!!!!!! YES FOLKS....."

Great image...

:lol2:

Ann
Color Commentator

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:46 pm

We were in Jackpot, Nevada during the Persieds this last weekend attending an annual event. I can’t say we were able to see many meteors but we saw the rising moon. I think the camera’s CCD is having some issues. On high resolution, there are some odd artifacts in the images. Wonder if it can be replaced or if there is another explanation to the problem. :?:
IMG_1158 (2).JPG
IMG_1165.JPG
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:09 pm

Fred the Cat wrote:We were in Jackpot, Nevada during the Persieds this last weekend attending an annual event. I can’t say we were able to see many meteors but we saw the rising moon. I think the camera’s CCD is having some issues. On high resolution, there are some odd artifacts in the images. Wonder if it can be replaced or if there is another explanation to the problem. :?:
Are you talking about the hot pixels? Pretty normal for the exposure times you've used. There are free and cheap tools for removing them. They tend to develop with age, but replacing the sensor on your camera would be more expensive than just getting a new camera.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Fred the Cat wrote:We were in Jackpot, Nevada during the Persieds this last weekend attending an annual event. I can’t say we were able to see many meteors but we saw the rising moon. I think the camera’s CCD is having some issues. On high resolution, there are some odd artifacts in the images. Wonder if it can be replaced or if there is another explanation to the problem. :?:
Are you talking about the hot pixels? Pretty normal for the exposure times you've used. There are free and cheap tools for removing them. They tend to develop with age, but replacing the sensor on your camera would be more expensive than just getting a new camera.
I was playing with long exposures on my fairly old Canon Rebel T1i. Attempting to learn the ins and outs of photographic modification is on my list to to-dos though I suspect I'll like taking pictures more than playing with them. It’s nice to know that I haven’t fried my camera’s CCD practicing taking solar images with my homemade filter for the upcoming event. Thanks for the feedback. Ron
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:38 pm

Fred the Cat wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote:
I was playing with long exposures on my fairly old Canon Rebel T1i. Attempting to learn the ins and outs of photographic modification is on my list to to-dos though I suspect I'll like taking pictures more than playing with them. It’s nice to know that I haven’t fried my camera’s CCD practicing taking solar images with my homemade filter for the upcoming event. Thanks for the feedback. Ron
The concept of hot pixel removal is simple. You take a long exposure with the lens cap on and that's all you have. The resulting image becomes a map of problem pixels, and the repair tool simply takes those locations and reconstructs them by averaging the neighboring pixels. But a word of warning: make sure you use RAW, not JPEG images if you intend to do this. A bad pixel occupies exactly one pixel in a raw image, but spreads onto surrounding pixels after jpeg compression.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com